San Diego's 4th Motorized Bicycle ride...the 40-Mile Eliminator

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Re: San Diego's 4th MB ride...the 40-Mile Eliminator

You wanna ride the bike that you know will go 40+ miles with no probs....yeah reliability is a good thing! Bring your most reliable steed, you don't wanna hear how the ride was, you wanna know and tell how it was :) Don't forget to have ample fuel as well, it's a simple thing to do....carry some if need be.

Just want this ride to be fun for all.....prepare your bike and carry tools and fuel, a patch kit and or tube if in doubt. If ya wanna ride slow, print out the map and we'll make a point for scenic rest stops where we can re-group if need be. Your bike should be capable of doing 30mph, so prepare do 25-35mph if ya wanna have some fun. We will do a couple rest breaks for lunch and the obvious, but we don't want to wrench on bikes every couple of miles cuz it just takes too much time when there's lots of us who just want to ride. Soooo, let's RIDE!.wee.

sandiego

Oct 26, 2008
san diego

I couldn't make it for the second one but I'm defintley going to try to be there for this one, everyone told me how great the route was.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

i really need to get a truck...

if any of you LA guys, or anyone from OC wants to swing by and pick me up, i'll pitch in for gas, or buy lunch or somethin...

(edit= it's only 100 miles away. so if i rode there, rode 40miles, then rode home, it's 240 miles. i could make:))

Last edited:

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,

i really need to get a truck...

if any of you LA guys, or anyone from OC wants to swing by and pick me up, i'll pitch in for gas, or buy lunch or somethin...

(edit= it's only 100 miles away. so if i rode there, rode 40miles, then rode home, it's 240 miles. i could make:))
Bairdco I hope someone can get you down here. I would like to check out one of your bikes. Hope to see you there! The more the better, Its a real cool route and the weather should be great, although ridin in the rain can be fun, sun would be better. One week away and counting. I should recieve my high compression head from pirate in time for the ride, wondering if I should slap it on and run a chance that there unreliable, Any suggestions? Anybody? Then again no moving parts, as long as I don't go full tilt, should be ok..wee.

g1manalo

Oct 23, 2010
san diego ca.

Bairdco I hope someone can get you down here. I would like to check out one of your bikes. Hope to see you there! The more the better, Its a real cool route and the weather should be great, although ridin in the rain can be fun, sun would be better. One week away and counting. I should recieve my high compression head from pirate in time for the ride, wondering if I should slap it on and run a chance that there unreliable, Any suggestions? Anybody? Then again no moving parts, as long as I don't go full tilt, should be ok..wee.
Ride amtrack, cheaper yet metrolink to oceanside the take the bus(no extra fair) from oceanside to lajolla from la jolla jut about 10 mile bike right. you get the ocean view on the train.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com

Ride amtrack, cheaper yet metrolink to oceanside the take the bus(no extra fair) from oceanside to lajolla from la jolla jut about 10 mile bike right. you get the ocean view on the train.
Amtrak won't take gas powered bikes on their trains, neither will MetroLink
Even buses aren't supposed to put gas bikes on the rack.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009

yup. i went through that trying to get to arizona for the deathrace. amtrak, greyhound, and everyone else told me that i couldn't take it unless it was disassembled with no trace of oil or gas in it.

i'll try to figure something out...

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,

Amtrak won't take gas powered bikes on their trains, neither will MetroLink
Even buses aren't supposed to put gas bikes on the rack.
I got a 175$ ticket for riding 2 stops on the San Diego trolley with my bike, didn't drip a drop of gas or oil but they don't care. California law against hazardous material on board public transportation. I fought it and got the fine reduced to only 50$ bucks, can't complain about that.

Bairdco, do you have any experience with the high compression head from pirate that is made by manic?.flg.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009

nope. never used one. i have a Grubee GT4 with the flat head, and i lapped it down so the ridge is almost gone. my bike has tons of compression. you can't just go slow and bump it started or the wheel will just lock up. you need to pedal through the stroke, like a kick-starter almost.

a word of caution, though. when you're lapping a head, make sure the plug will still clear the piston...

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,

nope. never used one. i have a Grubee GT4 with the flat head, and i lapped it down so the ridge is almost gone. my bike has tons of compression. you can't just go slow and bump it started or the wheel will just lock up. you need to pedal through the stroke, like a kick-starter almost.

a word of caution, though. when you're lapping a head, make sure the plug will still clear the piston...
I have been warned about that already, gonna handcrank the engine first to make sure the plug clears. Thanks for the advise. dnut

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,

brnotJust a heads up to all who have purchased an 80cc(66cc) angle fire head locally from Jimmy and Joey (Lazy Joes) the manic machanic high compression head works on them. I only rode it about 5 miles but, no knock, no oil leaking, and a very much improvement in performance. I did a 36 mile test yesterday cause its a new motor(getting ready for saturday) and will do another 36 mile ride tomorrow with the new head to make sure every thing is a ok. See everyone Saturday!!!!

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca

This is looking to be a good ride if it does not rain...it also sounds like some fast bikes will be on this ride, not sure if I will be able to keep up with you guys.

culvercityclassic

Tony Meier

Jan 14, 2010
Sun Diego

This is looking to be a good ride if it does not rain...it also sounds like some fast bikes will be on this ride, not sure if I will be able to keep up with you guys.

culvercityclassic
Not to worry culvercityclassic! Most of the ride will be at a nice cruising speed of around 25 mph. Occassionally, when we're approaching a watering hole, a bit of long flat road or "heading back to the barn," some of the young ones (at heart, at least [Hi Scotto- and Maxvision]) feel the need for speed! Ha!

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

The HF 79cc in a Trek will be making it's debut, piloted by it's new owner Mario, he did the 2nd ride on Pat's spare Red Schwinn HS. It will be one of the faster bikes for sure, even with him on it (he's a pretty big guy). I'll try to keep the pace under 40mph.....well under 40mph, but with Max and Mario, this may prove difficult! Don't worry, we'll try to take it easy.....honest. 2/3's of Bintang Nation will be there.....look forward too seeing everyone again and riding like the wind!brnot

Mario and his new HF powered Trek 800

Last edited:

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal

This rain forecast is killing my plans this weekend.

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,

This rain forecast is killing my plans this weekend.
The forecast is only 40%, and I watch the forecast alot because of my work and chances are the rain will come early but, more than likely late if, the rain comes at all. Rain or shine I will be there. A little lite rain will make the ride interesting..bf.

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,

Update on high compression manic mechanic head. Tonight I was a little less than 10 miles from finishing my 36 mile test ride when,,,,,,,,,,,,An old hag ran a stop sign and T-boned me. Gonna look more closely at the damage tomorrow to see if I can fix in time for Saturday but, what is known so far rear wheel bent, crank bent on right side, and hopefully thats it!!!! Don't know if the rear of the frame is F&%KED yet but am nursing my pinky toe and shin tonight. Will know more tomorrow. On the up side the manic head works great! And I was very pleased with the slight improvement in performance and fuel efficiency. Hope to see all Saturday!!!

Tony Meier

Jan 14, 2010
Sun Diego

Update on the rain forecast now says 60% chance of rain from 7 am Sat - late afternoon. And, I've just learned that a 3-Day (Friday - Sunday) walk for Breast Cancer will be starting Sat 7am from Robb Field (Ocean Beach) toward South Mission Beach, getting there around noon. I've re-checked the route map and think the route will be OK if we go toward Dog Beach rather than return via Dog Beach. That way, we'll miss the crowded Robb Field area! However, it will be a b**** getting to the starting point! My recommendation would be to take Rosecrans to Lytton to Chatsworth to Narragansett to the meeting place! I'm bringing a poncho! See everyone, rain or shine or walk for cancer at the starting location Sat. morning!!

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

Tony, we'll be riding bikes.....I seriously doubt any kind of traffic will be an issue. Just make sure you get into OB for a 10:30-11:00am start, after consuming massive quantities of coffee and doughnuts. That's a good suggestion for the route getting to the starting point if coming in by car or truck.

Bring your Goretex and gumboots if yer worried about getting wet and I also will ride rain or shine, unless it's a torrential downpour (which I seriously doubt). We had a slight sprinkle on our last ride up by the glider port, that didn't even slow us down:) See yas all there, I'm ridin Black-n-Blue this time around....give the ol' Black Ale a rest....cheers!dnutcoffeednutcoffee