S6-C Franco Morini Radiator

GoldenMotor.com

ridethefire122

Jul 7, 2011
Harvard MA
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a S6-C Morini Franco Motori engine. Because the engine is water cooled, it needs a radiator. Does anyone have any suggestions for radiators/had any experiences with mounting one up? Thanks!

-Brent

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a S6-C Morini Franco Motori engine. Because the engine is water cooled, it needs a radiator. Does anyone have any suggestions for radiators/had any experiences with mounting one up? Thanks!

-Brent
Hi Brent
My mate has the coolest water cooled Morini.
He just used a small dirt bike radiator.
I will find out what bike it was off and post a pic.

Easy Rider was at my recent Willow Springs race with 2
water cooled Morini's. One was delivered to a rider from AZ.

ridethefire122

Jul 7, 2011
Harvard MA
Thanks BiMoPed.

I figured as much for the dirt bike radiator... but I wasn't too sure about the size. Though the Morini is 50cc, would a radiator designed for a 250cc dirt bike work? Would the internal pump in the Morini be able to handle the extra coolant (if this is indeed the case)?

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Thanks BiMoPed.

I figured as much for the dirt bike radiator... but I wasn't too sure about the size. Though the Morini is 50cc, would a radiator designed for a 250cc dirt bike work? Would the internal pump in the Morini be able to handle the extra coolant (if this is indeed the case)?
250 cc is way too big.
I think the radiator was off an 80cc???? I will check and get back to you.
You do not need a fan.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Go to a motorcycle junk yard and find a radiator that was used to cool engine oil for otherwise aircooled bikes.

Another option is to find a small auxilary tranmission cooler available from almost any autoparts store and online.

Derale transmission cooler & standard installation kit Cooling products Derale Transmission coolers
dimensions: 7.5 x 12 x 3/4
$35.26 cost

davechitown

Nov 1, 2011
chicago
i recently got a morini s6c and am about to install it i have a radiator from a trans cooler 13 by 2 3\4 by 1 3\4 and was wondering if i use an overfdlow tank set up is it supposed to be an open or closed systym

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i think all modern cooling systems are closed and will run cooler under pressure[boil at 212open 245closed] a water pump doesn't know if its pumping 1 gallon or the pacific ocean. you can run too cold [fixable] but too hot [bad idea] i'd run some kind of radiator cap 8 psi? and a overflow bottle. don't forget watercooled 2 strokes will cold seize the piston if not warmed up properly. just my 2 cents.. good luck dennis

Last edited:

davechitown

Nov 1, 2011
chicago
thats just about what we were planning on thats about what i wanted to do, the thing u said about cold seize how long shold i warm it up for? never done the water colled 2 stroke before

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
just let her warm up like a car. so all the parts get up to temp before WFO. cold seize is caused by a hot piston expanding faster than the cooler sleave [water] i always let my turbo subaru get up to temp [oil and coolent] before any boost, 20psi so far so good. knock on wood.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
If it helps, Dean got mine from Polini and found a radiator cap that was made for a KTM at Cycle Gear.

davechitown

Nov 1, 2011
chicago
yeah we are gonna use a resevoir tank with pressurized cap ez ive heard about your bike from neil sr and would like to know how much water u keep in circulation

davechitown

Nov 1, 2011
chicago
if i ever get paid again id just buy a bunch more stuff , but we are gonna have to fab alot of it at least off the bat if i want to ride this bike before the years out, the damn mounts at least

davechitown

Nov 1, 2011
chicago
okay so i got the radiator(or a radiator) its 12 inches by 3.5 by 1 3/4 inch im getting a small resovoir and a thermostat soon, i have this cool little fan, 2 actully that fits it great i would like to know if i can run a 12v cooling fan off of either batteries or engine power , i dont want to rob the spark, but can i even do it?

davechitown

Nov 1, 2011
chicago
i cant get that to come up on ebay ez, but we got a pretty nice setup started, im getting a resovoir and thermostat, and i have a fan thats 12v that will be perfect if i can find an effective way to power it with batterys or off the engine, i dont know if i could set up the engine to power the fan, i noticed an eliminator amonst the electic stator wires that i dont know what its for, does the s6c have the ability to power a cooling fan, and did anyone else order a thermostat or is it unnessasary, i think it will prevent cold seizing or at least help, i was locked off this forum because i forgot my passwordzptzpt