Rules For Racing...

GoldenMotor.com

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
let's use the motos what they are inteded for. If i place in the top 3 in both motos don't make me start in the 2nd or 3rd row just because I want to do a warm up lap before the main.

The rider with the best moto results should get the first pick on the starting line and so on..
I agree with that.
Tried to do it at the last Grange race but I think you stalled and went to the back of the grid and a couple of guys took your place.

I think everyone should have to do a warm up lap including ebikes.
Don't want riders going into the first turn with cold tires and crashing!

Moto means heat.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Sighting laps don't help. Last year Porker overtook me after a race stoppage for oil spillage and 2 sighting laps, and then stuck his front wheel on cement dust. And fell over, right in front of me, so I fell off as well. I wouldn't mind, but his day job is as a surveyor.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
One thing I would suggest is the initiation of a discussion on a base level class, an entry level machine, with workable and enforceable limits on performance. That way the new racers and the cheapskates (why are you looking at me?) would have something to use without breaking the bank.
We do that now and if there aren't enough riders they can go down a
class and run against slower bikes.

Have had 138 cc Whizzers race in the 50 cc 4 stroke class and they
don't win.
Stock 200 cc HF can drop down to the Mid range class.

It's very flexible with how the 4 classes are run and there is a
comfortable racing class for just about anyone including first time
race track riders.

Damn, even dmb cruises around the track in the slow class on a hot rod
Morini battling it out for last place with a huge grin on his kisser! :D

Many of the bikes are very low budget.

A lot depends on how many show up.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
We do that now and if there aren't enough riders they can go down a
class and run against slower bikes.

Have had 138 cc Whizzers race in the 50 cc 4 stroke class and they
don't win.
It's very flexible with how the 4 classes are run and there is a
comfortable racing class for just about anyone including first time
race track riders.

Damn, even dmb cruises around the track in the slow class on a hot rod
Morini battling it out for last place with a huge grin on his kisser! :D

Many of the bikes are very low budget.

A lot depends on how many show up.
I think that is only a 4 HP engine........

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=33524

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I think that is only a 4 HP engine........
The fastest 50 cc 4 stroke only makes about 3 hp with 2 hp
being stock.

Some of them are quite a bit more. I rode a Whizzer at Willow
Springs and it was pretty fast and Mason Man's Whizzer hauls butt.

Quenton's fastest built Whizzer goes 68 mph.

4 hp is about right for the Mid Range class with 99 cc Predators,
5 hp Briggs and GC 160's, etc.

The choice to go down a class is more about the rider being out
for a fun time than pushing the limits.

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
let's use the motos what they are inteded for. If i place in the top 3 in both motos don't make me start in the 2nd or 3rd row just because I want to do a warm up lap before the main.

The rider with the best moto results should get the first pick on the starting line and so on..
That's a real good one! (^)

You should also use the motos to place the super fast guys (& slowest) into other faster or slower final race classes.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
O.K.#3 FACT, i can have one of the fastest bikes on the track. but i will still be one of the slowest rider's. i do not belong out their getting in peoples way. no one wants to get hurt. i think if someone is going to race in the fastest ''expert'' classes [the most dangerous] that 2 of the expert riders in that class should have to sign off on the new rider AND their ride. pretty simple and it keeps us slower racers? where we belong, out of the way. makes for better racing too! dennis

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
How about while a race is going have the next race ready to go at the staging area? This was done great at the Death Race in Tucson and at Willow Springs that was 2 years ago, but it kinda seem to fade away as the races went on. It seemed like alot of downtime and I would rather not spend alot of downtime baking in 100 degree heat. Any time left over would be for practice after the races if someone chooses.
The 1 hour lunch is great, gives time for the necessary repairs on the bikes, grub and chat.
Just my .02 and im sure it wont happen so I dont know why I brought it up.

SoSauty

Feb 4, 2011
Bako, CA
From who have voiced there opinion to me its more there attitude "we wont race unless we race against ICE bikes" that seems to rub people the wrong way.

I've heard it myself and the only thing I think of is they just want to prove a point. Which I have yet to understand?
E-bikers are new to the sport and a few have been pretty base.
Don't paint all of us with a broad brush, (which I know you're not doing) I want to race where I have fun competition, not to dominate.

"One thing I would suggest is the initiation of a discussion on a base level class, an entry level machine, with workable and enforceable limits on performance. That way the new racers and the cheapskates (why are you looking at me?) would have something to use without breaking the bank."

Absolutely, have at least a class where the $200-$700 bikes are recognizeable bicycles. And we'd get to see what runs reliably, briskly and cheaply. Think a 50' pedal only start would be of interest.

Good point Magrider, the flagger could ask the group if the fast folks got to line up in front.

My 2 cents, present racing guidelines suit me pretty good.

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
How about while a race is going have the next race ready to go at the staging area? This was done great at the Death Race in Tucson and at Willow Springs that was 2 years ago, but it kinda seem to fade away as the races went on. It seemed like alot of downtime and I would rather not spend alot of downtime baking in 100 degree heat. Any time left over would be for practice after the races if someone chooses.
The 1 hour lunch is great, gives time for the necessary repairs on the bikes, grub and chat.
Just my .02 and im sure it wont happen so I dont know why I brought it up.
You didn't come to the last Grange race and that is how it worked. :)

PA announcements are made during each heat or race for the next class
to get to the staging area.

This has been the plan at all the Grange races and has always been bought
up at the riders meeting.

The October 27th race will be run this way and it will be in the 80's, best
time of the year for the races.
Going to be are really big turnout so there won't be any track time to waste.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
From who have voiced there opinion to me its more there attitude "we wont race unless we race against ICE bikes" that seems to rub people the wrong way.

I've heard it myself and the only thing I think of is they just want to prove a point. Which I have yet to understand?
Ditto, ditto and ditto. Electrics don't like to race electrics.......why???????? They don't like to beat each other? So it seems.

I don't mind 1 iota racing electrics that are of equal power, but how do you truly determine that??? This is the only gray area I see at the races and I attend most all of them.

Incedently, I see no electrics racing the supermoto classes......why is that?

dnut

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

Should be a given......

dnut

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i agree about the staging. at the grange i was told i'd be in the front row with 6 riders. i pulled up and 6 were already there, so i just squeezed in, and i know mag was behind me.

if things go according to plan, my september race won't have that problem. we're gonna actually stage the riders by what they placed in the heats, and won't start until it's right.

at my last race, i wasn't too concerned about running the classes through as quick as possible because of the low turn out, and i wanted to get my money's worth.

next race will be different. we'll finish up early and have plenty of time for the trophies, some beers, the band, and packing up before the lights go out.

working on getting the p.a. going, too, so you can hear me in the upper pits.

one thing i gotta say, though, is a lot of racers don't seem like they're in a big hurry to get on the track. i was running through the pits yelling on the megaphone, and a lot of guys were just sitting around, not even padded up, looking at me like "what's the rush?"

still worked out alright. last bike was off the track at 10pm exactly...:)

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I really like that idea. That kinda puts an emphasis on what these bikes are supposed to be: Motor-assisted Bicycles! :D

Besides, I think it would be comical to see some of the guys with CVTs and little crank sprockets spinning like clown cyclists :p
I would not mind if we all made one lap under pedal power first. As soon as you cross the start/finish you can fire your motor up.

I think that would be fun?

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
If we pedal start the race for the first 50' it should be with the engines off or the e-bikes unplugged, and we should line up on the other side of the pits and run to the bikes.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
ya and all the bikes and riders should be the same weight. it's only fair. even if they have to add 175 lb's of steel to their bikes to be fair to my fat azz. gee i might not come in last place. maybe their will be a ''special race'' where everyone win's a trophy! dennis

Last edited: