Rotten Orange build - Gary Fisher Aquila shifter buildup!

GoldenMotor.com

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
awesome work! IMHO, that tank is exactly what and where a tank should be.

you'll like that B67 saddle. i haven't spent much time on mine yet, but that springyness is just right and you just know it's gonna break in like your favorite glove. terrible fuzzy photo of mine (brown) below:

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Couple update photos...

Tonight, i started working on the custom intake manifold. After much thinking and looking around on the board, I found Large Fillipino's clutch pulley mod:

YouTube - 70cc bicycle engine clutch mod

I will be making a bracket to weld onto the sick bike parts bracketry to hold a pulley and cable adjuster off one of my junk brake levers. This will let me remove and cap the cable mount to sit the carb down in the valley of the motor.

Here is the beginnings of a custom intake manifold. The little elbow piece is a breather vent tube off some junk car parts I had laying around. This will serve as a pulse source for the fuel pump (if needed) and also a port for my boost bottle.

Here is how the carb will sit in the frame. VERY tight, but its going to work!

Last edited:

Radmanfly

Jul 28, 2008
Oswego, NY
www.farleysradiator.com
I am glad I found this thread today and not when you first started, the suspense is killing me....I can't imagine what you all have been going through waiting for parts and such. Looking good, can't wait to see it running!

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
You obviously did not watch all of the Olympics last night.!? Folks, I got to see this gem last night and John is making every detail well planned and well executed. The planning will help it work, simplify maintenance and avoid break downs. Here I am visiting a guy I am old enough to be his dad and he is teaching me things about design and fabrication, a realm of knowledge I thought to be an expert in. This bike is really going to work nicely, and it looks as good as the photos make it look. Shows some good things just take time to develop.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
So Lenny, If I can get the manfold flange cut out this afternoon, would you be up to brazing the parts together for me? I'd like to see how proper brazing is done so I can use it on some of my other projects.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Thanks to Lenny's expertise in brazing, I was able to get the manifold done! He helped me get the intake manifold brazed up. Now I just need to get an oxy/acetylene setup so I can braze steel. :)

Here are some photos of the finished manifold:

Here is the intake in comparison to the stock one:

This end will be opened up quite a bit... have some filing I need to do to try to port match as best as I can:

Last edited:

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Here is how the carb fits the intake on the bike. I think I may need to take 1/4" off the manifold to move the carb a hair closer to the engine. The clutch cable is going to be a pretty tight fit!

xlastshotx

Aug 11, 2008
Wow awesome build! gave me a lot of new ideas. I was wondering what rear rack that is, I can't seem to find it anywhere.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Got the front engine mount finished tonight! Also started working on the bracket to mount the pulley for the Large Filipino clutch cable mod. Found that my clutch needed adjustment anyway, so its a good thing I pulled it all apart.

Time to go scrounging through my parts bin to find a cable adjuster that I can use on this clutch setup. Its going to be nice having a 2nd usable adjuster for the clutch.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
This weekend, I've been working on finishing up the final touches on the bike.

I've finished the LP clutch mod, which included welding bracketry to the jackshaft brackets to allow a pulley and adjuster mechanism for the clutch cable. Turned out beautifully. I have taken lots of photos, so will be posting those up tonight.

Right now, I am finishing up the exhaust, whcih consists of 1" tubing and a cheapy 50cc expansion exhaust pipe (that I've had to completely take apart and reweld due to the bad welds on it). I'm locating it around 14" from the exhaust outlet. hopefully this will give me more low end power, which is what I'm after since this bike will be used offroad a lot. The exhaust follows the angle of the downtube on the frame and then runs behind the left pedal crank arm and exits low on the bike to keep the weigh down low and also so I wont burn myself while riding.

I think you guys are really gonna like the final look on this bike!

Last edited:

VincenT

Feb 7, 2008
Just found this thread...incredible work!!!! I like your out of the box approach. I look forward to the finished product...

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Yeah, what box? Definitely a project where I can learn something about design, execution and patience. I am especially excited to see how this Dellorto Carb set-up works out.

VincenT

Feb 7, 2008
heck...I thought the jackshaft thing was something new...hence, out of the box (I looked at the pic's but didn't read the entire thread)...then I look at ghost0's thread and find out it's a kit...I've been on the motorcycle forums waaaaay too much. All the action is over here... you guys are an inspiration...and just for the record, when my girlfriend is mad because my project list just grew even more...I'm placing the blame on everyone here!!! :)

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Thanks for the kind words, guys. This build has really been a test for me. I've been recovering from a nasty back injury throughout this build (actually started the build in my first week of recovery!). So, finally getting back out into the garage and working with the welder has been both a trial and an accomplishment for me. I say trial, because I've been pushing myself to my limits every day I am out in the garage fabricating parts. I'm laying here in my recliner just absolutely exhausted and sore from today's work, but you guys are really going to like the result! The bike isn't completely done, but its closer than its ever been!

Here are some photos of the new clutch setup...

First, the modified jackshaft bracketry:

Here you can see the M7x1.0 tapped hole for the adjuster:

Here it is installed on the bike:

You can see this is going to run the clutch cable pretty far back. This is necessary to fit the carburetor in place:

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
here it is with the cable installed:

From the left side. I had to pull and reindex the clutch lever arm to get it to allow a pull from the right rear. The clutch is now a 1 finger operation!

Here's a short video of the clutch working:
http://www.piratepathy.com/misc/PICT4237.MOV

Also got the fuel system partially plumbed. Here is the SBP fuel valve plumbed into my tank:

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
And here are photos of the exhaust!

The exhaust is mostly done. I built it out of 2 different exhaust systems and some 1" conduit. Still need to weld a tab to the backside of the muffler that will fasten to the side of the rear rack, but its 95% done. Also need to paint the chrome, as I did a lot of welding on it:

sente

Jul 27, 2008
all i can say is SICK!!!!!!!!! give me a call soon ill have to come over soon and see it in person : )