replacing sproket and chain with bicycle set

GoldenMotor.com

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
I hate the chain. A big heavy motorcycle chain that slows me down when I pedal (and other things) .

Question?
Can I replace the stock gear sproket and chain with a much lighter bicycle chain and sproket? I can get a double hub for the back wheel, so the chain won't run/cycle through the engine as I pedal.. right now it's just a burden to pedal and would really like to have more pedaling days than motoring.

Will it work? I know, I know- it's not "made" for it and will cause unneccesary wear and I will die, etc.. but I want to.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
My opinion? Yes, provided you can find the appropriately sized sprockets of course, I too agree that the kit chain is ridiculously huge, the problems folks have had with it a reflection of it's poor quality, bigger isn't always better if it's junk. Everyone that's running a shift kit is puttin' the engine's power through the bicycle's drive train - thus they're using "standard" bicycle chain successfully, but I would recommend a quality one.

The gokart fellas totally understand the drawbacks of chain drag & despite the fact they're runnin' well over 15HP at a minimum - they run the smallest chain they can, not too terribly dissimilar from bike chain actually... but I bet it wasn't cheap lol ;)

Attachments

WEEDHOPPER

May 8, 2022
Greenville Sc
I hate the chain. A big heavy motorcycle chain that slows me down when I pedal (and other things) .

Question?
Can I replace the stock gear sproket and chain with a much lighter bicycle chain and sproket? I can get a double hub for the back wheel, so the chain won't run/cycle through the engine as I pedal.. right now it's just a burden to pedal and would really like to have more pedaling days than motoring.

Will it work? I know, I know- it's not "made" for it and will cause unneccesary wear and I will die, etc.. but I want to.
I broke my mb chain and have a single speed bicycle chain on it now and no need for a new sprocket the single speed bike chain fits the regular one just fine

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I broke my mb chain and have a single speed bicycle chain on it now and no need for a new sprocket the single speed bike chain fits the regular one just fine
You're responding to a thread that was posted in 2010???? However, one can change the 415 engine sprocket to a 410 sprocket. The 410 chain has a snugger fit on the rear sprocket.

Reactions: fasteddy