Remove/Replace (8) bearings - Rear Housing Help Please

GoldenMotor.com

Walbird

Apr 25, 2012
Daytona Beach, Florida
Before I start banging on these bearings with tools meant for things other than banging on bearings, could someone please take a look...?

I hope this doesn't take buying another tool, but I need to replace a bunch of bearings in the rear housing unit of my Torker trike. There are (4 - 2 ea wheel) identical bearings in the wheels hollow hubs that I need to replace as well. Eight (8) total bearings.

The bearings themselves are inexpensive enough. Although I suspect replacing them with something a little heavier..on the duty side, would be desirable...but; Is there a special tool required to pull these out...and in turn put new ones back in? I certainly hope not but I don't want to mess things up by using something totally inappropriate. If I DO need another tool for this, can someone point to where I might find it, how much it might cost and if there are any alternative ideas to removing and replacing these? I just can't see buying another tool to replace a part that costs about $1.50 (ea).

Thanks so much. Wb

Attachments

Walbird

Apr 25, 2012
Daytona Beach, Florida
http://www.harborfreight.com/blind-hole-bearing-puller-95987.html
bearing puller to pull bearing.........ruined by using the wrong tools
Thanks Much Ibedayank....but OMG...$70. The whole bike costs barely more than that. Just can't see that cost. I'll need to think of something else....

Another forum member suggested a steel rod to fit through the bearing holes, carefully knocking out the bearings from the opposite ends. And after finding out that they are seated in there with a mere tight fit, I think I'll (carefully) give that a try first.

I am very appreciative though. VERY! It's the thought that counts! Thanks very much...and if I break stuff and end up cryin', I'll let you know for a "told ya so".

Thanks again....Wb

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I am putting a new tire on my Suzuki today, checked the front wheel bearings and though they are fine, I WILL NEED TO DO THEM IN THE FUTURE....

Instead of 70 dollars for a new wheel bearing puller, I will look and watch ebay, and eventually I will get one for half that or less. I do it all the time, just got to be patient.

I got a Craftsman torque wrench, new in the box last year for 10 bucks. Also, a "vintage" flaring tool (Craftsman) new in the box for 5.95, plus 5.95 shipping.

Alternately, you can bash them out from the backside like you've stated, just take your time and be gentle. (you'll ruin the bearings, but they need to be replaced anyway, right?)

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
with the long bar method you need to switch sides as you are driving them out.
If you get the bearing jammed in sideways your not gonna like what will happen to the tube its sitting in. Nor will you like how much fun it will be to put the new bearing in...

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
with the long bar method you need to switch sides as you are driving them out.
If you get the bearing jammed in sideways your not gonna like what will happen to the tube its sitting in. Nor will you like how much fun it will be to put the new bearing in...
I use this method at times...work on each side of the bearing 12:00 and 6:00, or 3:00 and 9:00. I even have a 4' and 3', 3/8 drive extension I can put a socket on and remove the last bearing on either side.

Last edited: