reed kit

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

EM B.A.N.G.K.E - Two Stroke Engine

Reed valves are commonly used in high-performance versions of the two-stroke engine, where they control the fuel-air mixture admitted to the crankcase. As the piston rises in the cylinder a vacuum is created in the crankcase beneath the piston. This vacuum opens the valve and admits the fuel-air mixture into the crankcase. As the piston descends, it raises the crankcase pressure causing the valve to close to retain the mixture and pressurize it for its eventual transfer through to the combustion chamber.
Reed valve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Wouldn't it be nice if our engines came with one.
Looks like we'll have to live with the gas/oil spit back out the aircleaner and the hundreds of angry bee buzzing noises.

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Rock Solid now have a complete reed valve assembly including manifold available' $65 Australian. They do great products. This has been a year in dvelopment with dyno testing. It takes at least 2 weeks for delivery due to demand. I dont have one as yet, I am ordering a pull start & coupler from them next week. Cheers

Rocksolidperson

Feb 11, 2012
Australia
yea i guess, but having it external rather than internal might have a small impact of performance since the whole idea of reed valves are to not let any mixture outside of the cylinder

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
yea i guess, but having it external rather than internal might have a small impact of performance since the whole idea of reed valves are to not let any mixture outside of the cylinder
Yes this can be relative to the retrofitted jug on a china H.T. motor. Different things achieve different results across a given power band. Still engines that were designed for it from the drawing board like some other motors are designed differently. There are case inducted reeds.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Ayup it was designed for it from the drawing board so to speak. No retro fitting there are no after thoughts for better. I get to wounder some times why since 2008 when I joined here why reeding a H.T. jug has not gone main stream. I mean we don't live in the dark ages. I am sure they help to some extent,but they don't fix it right. I mean there is still primary compression to think about proper port timing. Kinda need to start over with the H.T me thinks

Last edited:

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
Back in my MX days the hot setup was to lose the slide carb and install reeds and a pumper carb. Jimmy Ellis even had a 250 with a dual setup on it.

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Has anyone that has added reeds to one of these tried porting the piston so as to utilize 180 degrees of intake. I know a smaller carb would be needed due to the much lower velocity of the intake. Boost ports could also be added above the intake port, which would mean a feeder port also in the piston. I'm just wondering if the gains realized would be worth the effort on these,,,. Cheers

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Thanks MMBking. There's a bit of math involved so the piston port (to crankcase) & the feeder pot (to boost port) are timed correctly, & math isnt my favorite thing. Jug reeded motors can also be Boyesen ported (intake to transfers) for low end power gains, tho I think they used dual reed setups with them, 1 thick & 1 thin reed. I have 66cc with a little port massaging & also a bit of ramping (ports & piston) which alters timing, & 16mm mikuni, so if I did I may be able to keep the mikuni as they are so tuneable right thru the range. Cheers

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Hi Rocksolidperson, u had run ur motor for considerable time b4 adding reeds, & when u added them u did so without doing any other mods & havent stuffed the cases, is this correct? How much of a difference did the reeds alone make. I ordered a reed kit last Friday so they should be here during the week. Cheers

Rocksolidperson

Feb 11, 2012
Australia
Hi Rocksolidperson, u had run ur motor for considerable time b4 adding reeds, & when u added them u did so without doing any other mods & havent stuffed the cases, is this correct? How much of a difference did the reeds alone make. I ordered a reed kit last Friday so they should be here during the week. Cheers
yes i had run my engine approx for 7000km before i added the reeds, i haven't touched the crankcase or done any stuffing, during that time i had the Sbp chamber, dellorto carb, port & polished, hi comp head, performance ignition mods and i still noticed a boost of low-middle range power boost. im sure putting them on a bulk standard engine would be extremely noticeable, probs porting helps a bit.