Rebirthing a Goat.

GoldenMotor.com

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
[/IMG]This is a bike I've had for a year or so, It's undergone a couple of 'rebirths' in that time. It's an old alloy mountain bike frame that the local bike shop gave me, it was in an awful mess when I got it, covered in what I thought was backboard paint at the time and thought that's cool, turned out to be bitumen paint, which can be messy mixed with fuel. So after getting most of the bitumen of the bike and onto me, I put it together with an Ebay motor and 'lemon' shift kit.
It was cool, it did a respectable 60 odd KMH, be it reluctantly and climbed any track that my mates called a driveway.
But, it shook, and I took the shift kit off for my Softtail build.
I then built a new motor for what I had named the Goat, She wasn't the prettiest, but she was built to climb. So ,I gave her reed valves, boost ports, torque pipe, RSE 'balanced' crank, 44t sprocket and the knobbiest back tyre I could find.
Fun, serious fun, but hard on my old joints on a bumpy track! So, I thought to give this motor dual suspension, meanwhile I ordered a new motor, for the simple fact that I had been following 'Screaming Roo' for a while on their internet forum.
It seemed 'Dino' had worked very hard on offering a better alternative to the E bay motors that are available in OZ. I wanted one, but had a bit of trouble justifying the expense of paying twice as much as an Ebay kit, However, after looking at the time and expense of building a reliable High performance engine from an Ebay kit, I had a good week at work!, which I don't often have, so after a few beers, I ordered one, I was really only ordering some parts, I had more than enough bike projects! So now I have a spare motor!
I thought to try this new motor in the Dual suspension frame that I had 'slapped' together, It went great, but was obviously 'built for speed', not for the crawling around tight tracks and wheelie popping 'honning' that I was able to on the Goat.
So they have had an engine swap, my 'slapped' together 'Dirt bike' will be undergoing strengthening and 'preening', when I 'finish' a few other things.
Meanwhile this is my new 'Ride'.
I don't think the name 'Goat' is as befitting as it once was.
Is it fast?
**** Yeah!
Is it Smooth?
Like your finest Whiskey!
How fast does it go?
I don't know!
I only finished the mods this arvo, took it for a spin, and it was still climbing happily at 9 Grand, Smooth as silk all the way and although a little lacking down low, strong all the way to where I backed off for the sake of it was only a test ride.
It has a few mods now, the old chainsaw Walbro carb that I had been looking for a home for, the torque pipe I built for the last motor, and an old barrel that I had already given a bit of work to.
I'm not discounting the standard package, it came with all the best of everything he could source, and went hard, now it goes a little better.
I'm very happy with this one.
I will have to give the frame a final coat one day,I'm trying to get lots of stuff ready for a big paint mission while the weather is good.
I will stick a speedo on her tomorrow and give her a run in.
'Ride it like you stole it!'

Attachments

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
The rebirth looks sweet Theon ,I've heard good things about the screaming roo motors and their good blokes ,my old man lives about 20km from their place and is currently dealing with them to fit a mOtor on his bike

So a name change is in order you reckon hmm ,I'd say the peregrine sounds sweet , the bird is fast and the flight movements are as smooth as silk ,I just with I'd thought of that for BELLAS,but she suits black Bella

On a separate note I now have a spare motor to try my hand at a few mods and I've got your number still ,if I need a bit of advice on what I'm doing are you still ok with me calling mate .

Oh and I've plenty of spare parts now so if theirs something you need and I've got it don't hesitate to ask mate I'll send them to you as soon as is permitted my friend

Cheers bud
Sean

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Cheers Sean,
I won't say what the boys at Screaming Roo have called her.
But wait till your old man gets his Roo! You'll want one.
Straight out of the box a very quick motor, But the customer service, advice and quality of parts and workmanship makes it worth every cent, even to someone who knows how to get an Ebay motor to scream.
I'm going right over my bike before I see how fast she is now. I'm a little scared of it after my slow speed wreck the other night. But top speed isn't everything to me, and this is very smooth and torquey, No need to change anything else, just get around to giving a final coat of paint to a few things. Letting me concentrate on some of my other projects and knowing I have a reliable, fast bike sorted.
Of coarse, give us a ring or an Email if you have any questions or want a chat.
Do you still have that crank I sent you? it's nothing special, but maybe better than yours?
New bearings, seals and gaskets are cheap, As is new piston ring set, Did you use that barrel I sent?
You could have Bella's motor going better than ever for under $50?
The parts prices are very reasonable at Screaming Roo, and good quality. If your thinking of getting another motor though, you will not get a better one, even if you or I build it for you.

Last edited: