rear wheel

GoldenMotor.com

obd1kenobi

Dec 28, 2009
chicago
I am having issues with my rear wheel on my bike. I have a North woods Ridge dale Cruiser, and the rear wheel came a little bent, and the rear hub makes a nasty noise wheel the wheel is spun rapidly. I really don't wanna chance this rear wheel with a Engine kit. I have the rear sprocket adapter from Pirate Cycles already, and it fits the "Hi stop" hub perfectly. the dimensions are 1.524-1.528 I would like to find a black 26" Shimano CB110 Coaster Brake wheel, ready to bolt on without any major wobble. Any ideas welcome...

obd1kenobi

Dec 28, 2009
chicago
I have another question about this wheel. Will it be possible to use a 26x2.125 tire, or do I have to opt for a 26x2.25 tire instead?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
you can use any 26" tire pretty much. i've got the same rims, and i've had a 26 x 1.95, 2.0, 2.125, and a 2.3 on it.

the rim sizes are basically the same for most tires. there's skinnier ones, but most cruiser rims will work fine with all those tires i listed.

and those are good wheels, stainless 12g spokes are nice and thick. the only "problem" i've had with them is having to tighten the spokes up after a couple weeks. they're machine built, so they're not pre-tensioned, and they'll loosen up. (they actually don't loosen up, they seat into the hub and rim.)

it's a pretty straight-forward proceedure, you need a spoke wrench, and you just tighten every spoke equally, like 1/2 turn. if you get a wobble, you'll need to true it. but don't worry about that unless it happens...

obd1kenobi

Dec 28, 2009
chicago
cool. I just ordered that rim, as well as some new grips, and a bar end mirror. I never been to that site before, but they sure have lots to choose from. Thanks for your input -Ron

obd1kenobi

Dec 28, 2009
chicago
The only thing that is on my mind about this wheel is that I hope that my (Creative Engineering) sprocket mount works well with this hub, spoke flange, and spoke diameter. Do you use the sprocket hub mount that Pirate sells on those wheels, or something else? I have this problem where I like to over- analyze things a lot. Don't know why.

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
Here's one with 12ga spokes. I like to use the 26 x 1.75, it seems as if my tire seats better. I have the same wheel with CE adapter.
WHEEL 26x1.75 REAR with COASTER BRAKE, for HD-105: Husky Bicycles
Red,

We have a special adapter coming out for the cb-110 wheels that have the 11 and 12 ga spokes. The fit is rather tight with the standard CB-110 adapters on the wheels with the larger 11 and 12's we've noticed. I mentioned it to Jim this morning and like everything else he already had a special adapter designed for this wheel to solve my new found problem. GREAT!
The islands on the new modified adapter will land on the top of the spokes rather than in the middle of the spokes allowing for more sprocket clearance and in turn giving us more chain clearance.. They will be in stock within a few weeks time. They visually look like the OCC adapter.

Obd1kenobi.
'The adapter you have now will fit. It will just a little tight between the spokes on the 12 ga.. We are using the worksman wheels with the 11 ga spokes so it's real tight for us. They do still work just the modified ones will work better.
Justin

Last edited:

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
I use the CB110 adapters and have the sprocket center hole maxed out. Ridley makes a splined brake arm that is off set and fits perfectly. Theres no bending or modifying. It is by far the best set up I have used. Simple installation that allows for plenty of adjustment on the adapter. Ridley part# 13740-V

Attachments

Last edited:

troyboy

Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
Bairdco,

I said the regular one works fine. The new one will just work better. The new one was designed for the 12 ga Husky wheel. People were experiencing the same issue I am having with the worksman wheels.. The spot where the islands go thru the spokes does not leave you that much room for lateral adjustment. They will both still be available and will be offered at the same price. Just one is designed to work better with the 11 and 12 ga wheels..

Justin

obd1kenobi

Dec 28, 2009
chicago
That takes a load off my mind! I appreciate all the input from everyone. The only thing that I am waiting for is my engine mount from Creative Engineering. Depending on when that ships out to me ( It's been a month), I will either opt for the one of the Performance Engines from Pirate Cycles, or just a stock PK80 from Pirate Cycles. Leaning more towards the Performance Engines though... Wondering how much they are going to sell for, but I'm not worried about the quality at all, as I know it will be top choice.

obd1kenobi

Dec 28, 2009
chicago
I received the wheel a couple of days ago, and it is heavy duty! Got everything bolted together, and it does seem like the hub adapter fits a little snug with those 12g spokes. I hope there is enough room for chain adjustment( don't want the chain rubbing the tire). I'm currently making my own front engine mount. Here's a pic, it's not done yet.

Attachments

troyboy

Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
I use the CB110 adapters and have the sprocket center hole maxed out. Ridley makes a splined brake arm that is off set and fits perfectly. Theres no bending or modifying. It is by far the best set up I have used. Simple installation that allows for plenty of adjustment on the adapter. Ridley part# 13740-V
Red,

I had no luck finding the spindle with the supplied part # you gave. Could you maybe post a link to it? I would sure like to check it out..

Thanks,
Justin

obd1kenobi

Dec 28, 2009
chicago
I noticed a small sticker on my wheel that states " subject to wear". Does this mean I will be maintaining this wheel by tightening the spokes on a regular basis>?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
that sticker is on the seam where the rim was joined together. it's to remind people that use caliper brakes that it'll wear out faster right there. hardcore riders have been known to wear out wheels using their hand brakes, so it's just a CYA from weinmann.

nothing to worry about.

(edit) i would check the spoke tightness after a week or two. mine seemed to loosen up a bit.

obd1kenobi

Dec 28, 2009
chicago
I see.. I didn't even think of that. I'm not running a caliper brake in the back anyways, so it won't be a prob. I will check the spokes for tightness after a couple of weeks of riding and see how it is. One other thing that I've been thinking about, is the chain rubbing the tire since this rim is a tad wider than my stock rim. I think it should clear, but it will be close. The alignment from the teeth off the sprocket comes real close to the sidewall of the tire. I think I'm going to try and push the hub adapter a tad more to the left if this becomes an issue. Another thing I might add is I don't want to run a chain Tensioner on this build, so I'm making a custom front mount, that can be flipped for additional clearance to the left, and right. It's still in the works, and I'm waiting on more clamps. here's a pic.

Attachments

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
Red,

I had no luck finding the spindle with the supplied part # you gave. Could you maybe post a link to it? I would sure like to check it out..

Thanks,
Justin
It's not listed on their site. You have to call the parts department. 405-525-5400 part# 13740-V