Rear Motorcycle Wheel

GoldenMotor.com

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Hey guys. Where could I get a nice moped of motorcycle wheel or wheels with better hubs as well. Im afraid every time I pull the throttle that I rip out the whole hub of the wheel. Actually I noticed that my rear wheel wasnt straight anymore after couple races with cars and motorcycles today and I ripped out 4 spokes. I need something more reliable, otherwise I need to get new spokes every month haha

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
puch, tomos, or any pedal start moped hub could work, most use 10-11mm axles. so you will have to modify your drop outs some. lace that to a double or triple wall mtn bike rim with thick gauge spokes and you should be good to go

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
A 19 inch moped/motorcycle wheel with DOT speedrated tire a 2.5 - 2.75 tire wkll give you apprx. A tire size comparible tonan24 inch bicy le wheel. Most bike forks and cbainstays will have problems with a wider tire the rear with chakn slapping the tire. If you are going to use a bike hub up front the hubs need to be drilled fornlarger spokes. Hope that helps a bit more. Want a set ? If you need more help letnmenknow.

Last edited:

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Ok im not sure if I understood everything in the last post because some text was messed up (maybe you wrote from mobile) but I have 24" wheels with 68 spokes on the bike with the 212cc engine and the spokes literally get ripped out of the hub. I will get that fixed (hopefully) tomorrow in my local bike store but I also had to repair the sprocket side bearing 2 times so this is not good for the long run. So could anybody link me to some websites where I could order a wheel with good hub (closed bearings I assume) which already includes the disc rotor mount and thick spokes? I also dont have any problem with welding the frame to fit something from a moped, it just have to look good and handle the power of that monster engine. I currently have everything aligned for 3" wide tires.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
Look for a19 inch pedal start moped rim. Like in your links. That is your best bet. Our get a moped hub and lace it to a double wall 24 inch bike rim with as thick of spokes as you can get

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
You never mentioned how your sprocket is attached to your wheel. If you have a sprocket adapter, then the only possibility is that your engine is spinning your hub faster than the rest of the wheel (if thats even possible?). If you have a rag joint mount, thats the problem. Get a hub adapter and you should be fine.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico

Custom made heavy duty mount. If I had a sprocket mount, all 68 sprockets would have been ripped out at once first time I pulled the throttle haha. The spokes are just too thin I think but my main concern are the open bearings that are not made for something motorized and even less a 212cc.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
My personal opinion is if you build something right the first time, you're far less likely to run into these kinds of issues. If I were to build a 212cc (not likely), I would research everything ahead of time and find out exactly what parts I needed. I'm not saying this to put you down. I'm just saying that maybe you should do some serious research, like finding out what speeds your rims/tires/spokes/hubs/bearings are rated for, and if they aren't rated for the power your engine is putting out (which some of them obviously are not), then buy parts that are rated for that kind of power. It may actually take a motorcycle wheel. A moped wheel might still not be strong enough. What you've basically got I think is something like an enduro (a class of low-powered motorcycle). However, there is a forum member whose user name is scotto, who has built a 212cc race bike, perhaps you could ask him what wheels he is running.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Yes I know him and I did a ton of research but that doesn't change the fact running into issues like that. I dont mind it. Its a process and learning. It was the first build and for that it came out pretty cool and it would actually work if I would ride it easy but its just too much temptation to feel the power once in a while. Anyways, all this is only because I use it as a motorcycle and because I want it reliable for long trips. I want it to be perfect. @ moon. I will try to find a website where I could get a moped rim with tire and see how it looks like. But those hubs I found seem interesting with thick spokes and maybe one of those super fat rims they sell

gokart25

Sep 26, 2011
Iowa

Custom made heavy duty mount. If I had a sprocket mount, all 68 sprockets would have been ripped out at once first time I pulled the throttle haha. The spokes are just too thin I think but my main concern are the open bearings that are not made for something motorized and even less a 212cc.
Nice Idea!!

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
That would be great. I actually had another great idea myself when I saw some hubs in the bike store where I got the spokes repaired. Those hubs from the fixies have a 2 sprockets and one of them is fixed. It seems like it have the perfect size to drill holes in the fixed sprocket to use it as hub for the large sprocket. Those hubs have sealed bearings and should be way better and its cheaper than a hub with disc mount. Plus, if I get a mountain bike hub with disc mount I also need to get a new sprocket because mine doesnt fot the 6 holes. I will take a look into that and if it fits with the holes I probably let the guy build me a wheel there.

It seems like my engine sprocket should fit on the small sprocket with the 9 holes I used through my hub.

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
A 212 will rip that up as well. I would stick with the moped hub route. Give me a couple hours ill pm you with solid wheel options that will work for your bike-

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Pred-
You can get in touch with pat at sportsman about one of his 212 type Worksmans set up with his special rear hubs. You will need a bicycle tire though some have had luck with simplex or the coker fitting easy -some had to fight the tire on.
If you dont want to go with that option
maybe just one of his hubs set ups

here is a list of moped parts that should suit you- spokes- that you are going to have to measure for length and order them when you get the parts you like.

https://www.treatland.tv/deestone-tire-19-x-2-50-p/deestone-776-tire-19-250.htm

https://www.treatland.tv/more-expensive-moped-inner-tube-p/moped-inner-tube-quality.htm?1=1&CartID=0

https://www.treatland.tv/new-19-x-2-25-chrome-spoke-rim-p/oem-spoke-rim-19x2.25.htm
http://www.1977mopeds.com/parts/wheels-and-tires/brake-hubs/motobecane-av88-rear-wheel-hub.html

Last edited: