rear hub bearing covers are coming off.

GoldenMotor.com
Jul 5, 2015
Santa Barbara, CA
My bike build had been running only a few hours when i noticed a wobbling feeling in the pedals, and i looked at the rear wheel and saw that the little round metal plates on each side were free of the hub/axle assembly, causing the axle to be not centered in the bearing. If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know!

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Sounds like the bearings are not adjusted properly. Check them for wear and or decrepitude. If they are still ok then repack with heavy wheel bearing grease.

google Sheldon Brown and you'll find all kinds of details about adjusting wheel hubs and anything else bicycle related. There's also a couple of recent threads in this section of this forum which will give you further info.

good luck... and grease those bearings

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Those are dust-covers and their condition is NOT the reason for the wobble. Your cones are loose and you'll need special tools to repair. You'll need to give us more detail as there are different types of hub-assemblies.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If this is a coaster brake bike, did you reinstall the coaster brake arm correctly? Many folks not familiar with how those brakes work might leave the arm off or not adjust the bearing pre-load correctly after assembling the rear sprocket.

We need more information, maybe a photo or two of the hub to give you better advice.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
2door- it is not a coaster brake wheel, just a mountain bike wheel.
Then the bearing cone nuts need to be tightened. But it isn't just tightening, it's setting the pre-load of the bearings. Take a look at the links provided above for detailed instructions of how to properly lubricate and adjust wheel bearings.

Let us know how things work out. Good luck.

Oh, and do people still ride 'long boards'? Been away from surfing for many years.

Tom

Jul 5, 2015
Santa Barbara, CA
Then the bearing cone nuts need to be tightened. But it isn't just tightening, it's setting the pre-load of the bearings. Take a look at the links provided above for detailed instructions of how to properly lubricate and adjust wheel bearings.

Let us know how things work out. Good luck.

Oh, and do people still ride 'long boards'? Been away from surfing for many years.

Tom
I have checked out the links, they are very helpful! And yes, a small number of us still ride good old longboards! Mine is 10'.

Jul 5, 2015
Santa Barbara, CA
Thanks to everyone who commented on this thread my bike wheel is now fixed, it does not wobble anymore! But i have noticed another problem, which is that my head gasket is leaking. I have tightened the bolts on the head as far as i can without stripping something, and it still leaks. Bike runs fine except for low idle.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You didn't say but we're assuming you have a Chinese 2 stroke engine.

There is a lot of discussion here > http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...sc.tab=0&gsc.q=head gasket leaking&gsc.page=1 about head gaskets and how to keep them from leaking.
Basically we recommend a few things to do.

1. Get rid of the chrome acorn nuts and use hex nuts.

2. Lap the cylinder head to achieve a good gasket sealing surface.

3. Use a torque wrench, tighten the head fasteners to 120 to 140 inch pounds using a cross pattern (corner to corner)

4. Replace the head gasket if you see any sign of damage or area where it has 'blown out'.

You'll also want to make sure the studs are threaded into the engine case correctly. If the acorn nuts have damaged the threads, and this is common, run a die over them to restore them. (Keep any metal chips from falling into the cylinder)

Tom

Last edited: