Rack mount HF

GoldenMotor.com

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
Well I finally finished my bike about two weeks ago. Took some pictures today. Here they are.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Uber cool! I had thought the size of the HF would seem to big. Looks great!

How is the sound, weight distribution and over all JOMBing? (Joy Of Motor Biking) on her? Full report!

hehe think you just planed my next few days as now I want to build one completely different with the notable exception of being exactly the same.

Oh! tranny looks beautiful. Working well?

.flg.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Great job. What is your final ratio and how did you fasten the sprocket to the rear wheel?
That thang looks like it would pull a stump.

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Hi. What brand of clutch is that? Max-Torque? It doesn't look like a Hilliard. Also, how thick are the aluminum sidewalls on your tranny? Last, where did you get your rear wheel sprocket?
thanks, Ed

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
Thanks Guys.

Dan:
It sounds great but I may end up putting a muffler on it. I am having a little trouble starting when cold. If I put a baggie over the exhaust it fires right up. I had a longer exhaust (sounded better) to begin with but it got in the way a couple times and broke off so I cut it down to the size in the picture.

The balance is better than I expected. It is a little back heavy but that is to be expected and not really all that bad.

Elmo; Corgi:

The total ratio is about 19.7/1. The tranny is 3.1/1 and the final reduction is 72t/11t or 6.5455/1. I think 11t is correct.

atombikes: the Sprocket is one of Creative Enginerings pieces of art. It may take a while to get your item but it is worth the wait.

The clutch I am really kinda proud of I did my homework on this one its a Comet SCP 350 series. I got it off of Ebay for $25 then I bought another about a month ago for $18 for spare parts.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You did a great job on your tranny. Any idea how much money it took to make that? I agree with Dan that the engine sitting there on your bike doesn't look as big as you'd think it would and it's nice having the gas tank right there on the engine. I imagine it has plenty of power.
SB

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Muffler/back preasure thunk. I have been experimenting with a plumbers blow bag. Costs 7 bucks at HF. (20 @ homesleepo) Works awesome. With the garden hose spigot, can run with or with out muffler by turning either side on or off. In the http://motorbicycling.com/f3/what-did-you-do-your-motor-24753-23.html#post237870 thread, Wild Alaskan came up with using multible mufflers or varing with 3 options with a 3 way splitter. Just a thought and is a great muffler that can be made for less then 10 bucks.

Vid for sound; RiverSide :: blowBag muffler video by dan3xd - Photobucket

Last edited:

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
Thanks silverbear,
As for the price I need to recalculate but I think it was around 260 ish with about $25 for mistakes and $30 for tools I didn't have. Correction it cost me about 170. not including mistakes and tools.

It has plenty of power. I might get a larger drive sprocket for riding on the street.

Dan,
I saw the plumbers blow bag a little while back. I think it might look a little funny on my bike hanging off the back of my bike. I didn't see the hose spigot (until today) thats a great idea.

Atombikes,
I used 1/4 in aluminum and this Solid Carbide Router Bit in a hand router to cut it. I don't know if it was designed to be used in a hand router or not. I didn't use cutting oil and wore the bit out.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just dawned on me. Manifold gets up to 500F. Would melt or burn real quick. My bad big time. Gonna delete that.

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
I didn't think of that either. That pipe gets H-O-T HOT!!!

The price I posted earlier was for more than just the Tranny. I came up with about $170 that includes the driver sprocket and shipping. That does not include mistakes or that router bit I bought.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
that is awesome. $170 is not much. would cost more for a produced one, and yours looks way better.

I only copy the best, snork. err, make surprisingly similar appearing stuff

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
That would be the biggest complement if you made one like mine. If you want/need I can give you all sorts of info as far as pricing and materials. I have to admit I copied someone elses design he has a see though cover plate though.

The bigest savings for me was the clutch. Its hard to beat $25

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Felton! I was just gonna PM ya an' ask if I had stepped over the line with the copying comment.

I really like the looks of yours. That was funny, keep thinking clear cover on the outer tranny cover and polish the rest.

Like that, at the same angle as yours.

And again, the size looks way better then I thought. It really was putting me off to doing one.

Thats the really cool part of here and you guys. Think I learned more in the last couple of yrs then the last 10

And thank you, will take you up on the where to find and price offer.
.flg.

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
Mine has a spring loaded tensioner. The one dan posted had a tensioner put on it after that picture was taken.

Here is the inside of mine

here is the other one

Last edited: