Quality kits?

GoldenMotor.com

Zeeb

Apr 10, 2018
After an endless string of repairs on my gas bike, i am done with the $100 chinese motor kits. Does anyone know if there are any motor kits for sale that are of useable quality?

I see plenty of different kits online, but im concerned theyll turn out to be more garbage like what I have now.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
they are pretty much all the same - doing adjustments as/when needed will mean no repairs will be needed

that said, many of the components that come with a kit are harder to work with than others - I have to pay extra for my kits to have carbs and sprockets swapped out for the kind that are easier to set up

Zeeb

Apr 10, 2018
Oh, I see. I had noticed some kits with a brand name (flying horse, for example) advertised japanese bearings, and other quality improvements. I dont know what that translates in terms of engine/clutch lifespan.

Also, i dont know if the external components (chain, idler etc...) are of better quality than those in the nameless chinese kits.

My main concern is with the engine, as my china girl leaks out of all gaskets, despite having only 1,300 miles on her. Doesnt appear she has long to live.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
tightening and adjusting are required for any motor and kit

no bicycle was ever designed to take the vibration of a motor, so tends to shake itself loose

no kit Ive ever seen was made of good enough metal to prevent all the fasteners from stretching

part of the inspection before riding is to check that everything is tight - almost every ride when new, and a few times a month pretty much forever after

I torque head when I put motor together and if it sits on shelf a month, I'll check again when I sell it, after that, it may need a bit more after the first 30 or 40 miles.