Potential issues mounting engine?

GoldenMotor.com

jlew

Jun 7, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
So i'm a little new to the world of motorized bikes, and i just ordered my first engine kit last week. I'm going to be installing it onto a 27" road bike, a 1980s SR "semi-pro," (yes i know - it'll be bumpy but i'll live) and the potential problem i'm seeing is that the pedals / front sprocket may be too close to the frame. If this is the case, what (if anything) can be done about it? Also what sort of distance is a "safe zone" when it comes to that for mounting the engine? Thanks!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I'm not familiar with the bike you described but I can tell you that if you have a way to post some pics of your bike there are many of fellas on here that can look at the pics and tell you if you may be facing any bumps in the road when mounting your engine, I would think that you should be good with the room issue because it is such a large frame, but you may have to build a custom front mount for the engine which is very common when ussing these China made motorbike engine kits, does your engine have a pull starter on it? if so that will cause youan issue that can be remedied by either mounting the engine higher on the frame so the pedals will clear the lower part of the pull start, or you will have to have wider cranks or shorter cranks on the bike, if your engine doesn't have the pull start just disreguard all I said about the differnt size cranks and mounting the engine higher it will not be an issue.

Post some pics if you can.....and I'll bet you can get all your questions answered.
good luck with your build....!

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
I did a search for your bike and the bikes I saw would be able to have a motor mounted easily. I will suggest that when you mount your tank use some pipe insulating foam under it it will help in two ways.
1) your cables won't get crushed. 2) it will help keep your tank from wanting to roll on the top tube.

Good luck.

jlew

Jun 7, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
i(DOT)imgur(DOT)com/wQ0Iy.jpg
That's a picture looking down from the top tube, (seat is the black thing in the lower right) toward the pedals. I think I might have enough pedal clearance but the front sprockets are pretty close...what do you guys think?

i(DOT)imgur(DOT)com/YLzSl.jpg
This is looking back toward the rear fork / wheel. It looks a little tight for the chain to run from the engine to the rear sprocket. I could be wrong though. Thanks! (sorry for no links, i haven't been a member long enough yet)

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
itlle be fine. u have a couple options here. you could ditch the front derailure and run it in one gear up front, it that case you should be able to utilize bothe stock( front and back) mounting application. or you could maybe double up the front mount and that should extend the front mount while keepin the back high enough to clear the derailure. look throughout the mounting techniques section youll fin some great ideas with pics.

Attachments

Last edited: