possible rust

GoldenMotor.com

txlixard469

Feb 21, 2011
austin
My bike has been sitting for lack of parts and I had no sparkplug on when it rained . Should i check for rust or is the mixture from the gas gonna hold and if I do have rust what can I do to fix can I take fine grade sandpaper or what please help cuz I;m looking at a 200 mile trip when parts come in .I'm hoping to leave next weekend or the following weekend .usflg

Last edited:

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Squirt some 2 stroke oil into the spark plug hole and roll the bike forward with the clutch released so that the piston can move up and down and distribute the oil all around inside.

If the engine is aluminum, it won't rust, but you might get a white scale of aluminum oxide.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Rohmell is correct about the aluminum case and or piston being aluminum but the piston rigs are steel and they will rust. It depends how much water got in and how long it was there. Take his advice but be gentle until everything is moving smoothly.

Next time don't leave an engine out in the elements without a spark plug. That's just asking for trouble.
Tom

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
We don't know how long it has been exposed to the elements.
One day, one week, one month, one year?

Plus, maybe your magneto got wet, and when you do fix your original problem, now you might have a new one.

txlixard469

Feb 21, 2011
austin
thanx rohmell and 2door .2door ive always taken your advise and will continue too. I do believe that I caught it before it did too much damage was only maybe 2 days after the rain and do not believe it got down to the magneto but if it did I got spare ones and or I'll just spare this one out but dont want to cuz I dont like my 49cc I prefur my 66cc we've been thru many miles and would like to keep goin with her. thanx guys for the advise and I'll hit Ya'll up if I got any more queastions .flg.

Last edited: