Please point me in the right direction...

GoldenMotor.com

joey1320

Jul 15, 2014
Cleveland
So having built 3 IC bicycles, I have finally decided to build an etrike and I need some help.

Im buying a Worksman tricycle tomorrow for $75 and want to make it pedal assist, mainly to help as a grocery getter. In all honesty, other than a few rides to work (3 miles each way) and getting groceries, this thing won't be used much more.

So the question is, what kit to go with? I have bought two IC kits from bikeberry and they were good and I also got lucky with an eBay one, problem is, I don't know much about the ekits or what to look for. I live in Cleveland, so this will be a spring/summer rider with minimal hills.

So what do you guys recommend for under $600?

Thanks for the help!

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
If I were to build a trike for practical use I would take the simplest route and use a front hub motor. 500w kits are fairly cheap. The first thing to consider is the battery. Its the main expense. Figure which way you are going to go with that then match the kit to it. 36v is a minimum voltage to consider(though I did build a 24v kit which I over volt) 48v is better. As the voltage of upper level batteries increases so does the $$.

If $600 is your max budget, its gonna be close using the better battery chemistries. No problem if using SLAs especially with a trike as it can carry/balance the weight much easier.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I concur with CB2. Front hub keeps it simple and SLA battery weight isn't so much an issue with a trike. If you go that route you should be able to stay within budget. Great price find on your Worksman Trike!
SB