PLEASE HELP! bike isnt starting!

GoldenMotor.com

liquidmetal

Mar 20, 2011
tennesse
Hello, my new engine kit has just been put together! but it wont start...
I have spark! Gas is going into carburetor! but when i take off spark plug its dryer than a desert! idk whats happening with carburetor to not flow fuel into engine where spark plug is but its not running please help!:-||

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
what kind of carb do you have? and is your carb getting air when you try turning your motor over? if the fuel is going into the carb, and your motor is turning over right. it should pull air and fuel in.

if its not, it could be a compression issue in your motor or carb. i dont know alot about motors or what could cause your problem. but if for some reason your motor is not causing a vacuum, then air cant pull the fuel to the motor.

the air going to your motor should come though the carb, pulling fuel with it. if air is getting in some other way(blown seal/gasket) it dose not cause a vaccum forcing the air through the carb like it should.

id start with making sure your head is down tight. and all your motors gaskets are fine. if thats not it, i really would not know where to go from there. i mean if you are sure you have a spark and you motor turns over it should be something simple.:)

good luck, and i hope you get it worked out soon.

liquidmetal

Mar 20, 2011
tennesse
thank you all for the quick reply s. it could possibly be something with a vacuum problem. If so where is this intake gasket and should i remove it? any pictures or diagrams would greatly help!

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
thank you all for the quick reply s. it could possibly be something with a vacuum problem. If so where is this intake gasket and should i remove it? any pictures or diagrams would greatly help!
the intake gasket is under your intake manifold. and that is the pipe that goes from the carb to your motor. there should be a gasket between the motor and the pipe(intake manifold) and it should sealed all the was around, but have no center, so it can let fuel and ari through the carb, then manifold to your motor..

if you end up needing pis, i can get them. but hopefully your bike is running before i have a chance to take some.:)

liquidmetal

Mar 20, 2011
tennesse
So its the piece of leather/rubber thing that is squished between the head and the tube u attache the carb to? what do u mean have no center?

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
yes, that is your gasket.:) and it should have a hole in the center for fuel and air to pass through when it is all on there. but air and fuel should not be able to leak out around it.

just check and make sure that nothing is blocking fuel or air anywhere from the carb to the motor.. check the manifold for something blocking it. and make sure the gaskets center is punched out.

and when you put it back on. tighten it down good! and also check all your gaskets for leaks.. the motor seal could be bad. and that would cause bad or no compression.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
What kind of carb is it? NT? WH? CNS?
Maybe the inlet needle is stuck closed so no fuel is in the bowl?
Does the carb have the primer/tickler button?

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
if your throttle cable is still hooked up to your carb. take the filter off, and look in the carb. it should look like this.

while looking in the carb, pull/twist your throttle. it should open up like in the pic below...

if its not opening right, when you pull/twist your throttle. them this is why your not getting fuel.

liquidmetal

Mar 20, 2011
tennesse
carb has fuel in bowl i was reading somewhere to press primer until it driped fuel from carb i did that and it still wouldnt start its a bran new engine. i do not know what kind of carb i have. the throttle is working how u have it in the pictures u showed me. thank you very much for trying to help me with this i really appreciate it

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Take out the spark plug and put a teaspoon of 2 cycle oil in there. make sure that the piston is up close to TDC (release clutch and roll the bike, you can see the piston moving up and down thru the spark plug hole, have the piston in the up position), you don't want the oil running out the intake/exhaust ports. Reinstall the plug and try to start. The oil will help give a better seal and some more engine compression. Maybe you need this initial seal to start up the engine and get it running the 1st time.
Also, make sure sure that the cylinder head nuts are secure and not loose.

Last edited:

Mike Bike

Mar 7, 2011
themikebike.com
ok so what there saying that it is ether a:

compression problem (any engine seals or gaskets)
or
gas delivery problem (no fuel getting threw the carb and to the engine)

i would go for the gas delivery 1st, these carbs are tricky to get just right,
make shure all is in right,
ie: the Pin, the Float, the Jet are all in the right place.
ill post a link of a good thread.. but theres plenty more
http://motorbicycling.com/f34/carb-adjustment-s-20956.html

next would be the compression problem:

when you have your carb off, take a flash light and look into your engine, if you see the cyclinder, the center hole is fine...

now put the carb back on, IMPORTANT: UNPLUG UR SPARK PLUG WIRE. wile keeping the spark plug in,
now turn the wheel,
Does it feel like the engine is turning over?
Do you hear a CHUG...CHUG...CHUG?

if not your probably not getting Compression and a seal/gasket may be defective... wouldn't be uncommon...

BUT seence you said your spark plug is bone dry....i would assume it is the fuel delivery problem...

lol welcome to the madness liquidmetal...

liquidmetal

Mar 20, 2011
tennesse
lol thx mike bike for replying! i do hear chug chug when i move the bike so yes it is turning over. im going to take a look at the link u gave me and get back to you guys

liquidmetal

Mar 20, 2011
tennesse
well i just rolled it down the hill again and nothing. just doesn't want to start. the float is working the carb was full of gas when i twist throttle shouldnt it flow fuel? when i take carb off and its ful of gas i lean out to where it connects to engine and nothing comes out but if i lean other way goes out the primer button let me know if this tells u anything

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
im assuming its the NT carb because it has a primer. have you tried playing with the choke when trying to start it up? and also have you played with the idle screw?

i have never used my NT carb, but have had quit a few problems using the CNSv1. i have never had problems like yours. but i have had my motor not want to start or idle right due to maladjusted tuning.

and i know alot of the time, mostly in the cold. the more choke i give it, the better it starts. it cuts the air flow back and this may give you the compression needed to get the fuel into your motor.

if this works, you will need to take the choke off once it starts to sputter.. this means it needs the air your choking out..

if you dont already know this, the choke is operated by the only lever on your carb. assuming you have the NT.. if you have the CNS, its the lever on the only other cable coming out of you carb, that is not the throttle cable.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
asumming the needle seat isn't stuck open or closed pull the chock leaver all the way up. then just 1/16'' down then peddle with throttle wide open 150 feet if the plugs dry again cut 1/2 inch each end of the plug wire and screw em back tight and a new b6hs ngk non fouled plug. if you can afford get a new copper core wire and ngk cap from the honda shop $18. oh and before you do any of this make sure the main jet isnt pluged like mine was