Peek inside 7hp HF Predator......

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
After ripping some guts outta the 7hp Predator yesterday, fired it up this morning (and it fired right up), then drained the oil and opened it up again.....here's what I saw o_O

The shiny internals of yet another Honda clone.....what else?

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Scotto,
So the 7 hp Predator is from what I hear the latest HF version of the 6.5 clone. I see a plastic cam gear. Shane from AGK was mentioning that the newer Predators cam may not be interchangable with the aftermarket honda cams. Something about the diameter of the end of the cam shaft having a different size bearing. Do you know anything about that?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I also see flat tappets inside there. Try to use oil with a high zinc content or oil specifically made for use with flat tappets. No automotive oil here, unless you like paying for the special Castrol stuff.
Motorcycle oil is the way to go.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yeah Pat, that's why I opened it back up today to get the measurements of the camshaft for Shane. I talked to him this afternoon and discussed the matter and it seems as if the Honda cam is very close in size (shaft diameter) to the Pred's. He's working on it and I'm sure we'll know very soon if it will work or if some machining and such will be required.

One way or the other, Shane will have performance cams for the new Predators, I'm sure.

dnut

Hi Scotto,
So the 7 hp Predator is from what I hear the latest HF version of the 6.5 clone. I see a plastic cam gear. Shane from AGK was mentioning that the newer Predators cam may not be interchangable with the aftermarket honda cams. Something about the diameter of the end of the cam shaft having a different size bearing. Do you know anything about that?

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
You bet Dan, and this is why I use Maxima 4-stroke racing synthetics.....you won't find much better. Don't you live down the street from Maxima?

dnut

I also see flat tappets inside there. Try to use oil with a high zinc content or oil specifically made for use with flat tappets. No automotive oil here, unless you like paying for the special Castrol stuff.
Motorcycle oil is the way to go.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Yes I do.
Years ago I turned in an application to work there. Rode my motorcycle in a torrential rainstorm to get there before they closed.
Walked into their reception room all dripping wet and the lady was very apologetic.
They filled the position that morning.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I was thinkin you did, at least nearby. That's too bad....might have been a pretty cool job.......and so it goes. Let's get together and ride soon, great weather for riding bro!

dnut

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Well, I have the 16th, 17th and 18th off. (can change without prior notice, gotta love China Mart)
Still no Cali plate for the bike yet though.
I am a paranoid freak when it comes to legalities.
The Sheriffs around here are not very lenient at all.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
That's why you need to come out West and ride the beaches......smooth sailing, no plates required, just wear a DOT approved hat and obey traffic laws occasionally. Oh, and don't forget to enjoy the spectacular skimpy clad beach scenery......ohhhh yeeeeaaahh!

Need I say more?

dnut

And don't also forget to build a Chinamart cruiser with a Predator china motor....you'll like it.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
It really is a nice looking motor, internally.
Wonder how long the plastic gear will last?
...won't be cheap for an aftermarket metal gear...
Tnx for the pics! my 6.5 is settin in it's box for when I get a round tuit.
rc

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
It really is a nice looking motor, internally.
Wonder how long the plastic gear will last?
...won't be cheap for an aftermarket metal gear...
Tnx for the pics! my 6.5 is settin in it's box for when I get a round tuit.
rc
Here's a recent pic of the outside of this powerplant, I'm confident this thing is gonna fly!

dnut

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I have this motor in build 2 that I am doing.
It is very smooth and quiet untill you rev it (still on the gov.) - then it vibrates like wild. The little 2.5 hardly vibes at all.
Rubber isolation pads are in the works for me.
But the power is amazing, like comparing a 283 to a 502 big block.

davemangoodid

Jun 23, 2011
San Diego, CA
Hey Scotto! I was wondering what you would suggest maintenance-wise on my first 4 stroke project. I definitely need new brakes and a new seat. Any other aftermarket parts you would suggest to help it climb hills. I have a dax super titan 4 stroke on a schwinn Point Beach Beach Cruiser. Charles helped me build it. I am local to SD.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Hey there Dave, maintanence wise, just make sure to change the oil frequently and keep everything tightened up and you're pretty much good to go.

As for aftermarket parts, I strongly suggest AGK for their cams, carbs, and such as a bit more power to your 49cc engine can use all the help it can get for hill climbing and gearing is also a good option. I reeally like the Point Beach.....it was almost the first build I was gonna 4-stroke!

Have fun....we'll see ya on some future rides!

dnut

Hey Scotto! I was wondering what you would suggest maintenance-wise on my first 4 stroke project. I definitely need new brakes and a new seat. Any other aftermarket parts you would suggest to help it climb hills. I have a dax super titan 4 stroke on a schwinn Point Beach Beach Cruiser. Charles helped me build it. I am local to SD.