Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I guess this means we're not trading weather after all... sniff.

Multiple projects gives the brain something to do even when parts seem to be lost in transit. When I get stymied with making something work or just tired of fooling with it then it helps to have something else to do for a change, or something else to think about.

And sometimes it is a help logging on to this forum to see what our partners in crime are up to all over the world. Sharing each others' triumphs and setbacks, sitting in the peanut gallery during Show & Tell sessions, sharing opinions and helping to solve problems while looking over each other's shoulders... it is a fine thing. This forum is a good place to hang out with a cup of coffee with friends.

So, are you going to alter the frame on the Simplex? If you are, now is the time.
SB

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
SB a pair of peanuts it will be & after a trial fit & measurements a 20" height motor will fit. I recently saw a Gravely T mounted (40 cubic inch +) engine that is "massive" mounted in a Simplex frame which mounted a barrel gas tank crosswise under the stock top tubes...looked fantastic, to replace the stock Simplex tank.
I saw a picture of that bike on the internet just recently. What an amazing bike and the Gravely engine just looked so at home in that Simplex frame.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I have gas tank I made which I never used. If you thought it would work for you I'd happily contribute it to the cause. It is the exact size of a coffee can and is covered in hand stitched black harness leather with a brass cap and stainless steel bands. Let me know if you want a picture. It may not be at all right for your Simplex, but if it is then it is yours. No hard feelings if it wasn't what you have in mind.
SB

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
That is a stunning looking motorcycle. I hope you're taking it to shows and upsetting people with "proper" bikes.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
SB about a 6" diameter by 10" with a brass bung close to each end is about right if I go that route. Still think the double peanut is my answer, but we got options.

You guys really got mosquitos big as crows in Mn.? I'm starting to get scared.

Check out this T-model... one that I let get away, talk about "sniff" each time I remember her, can't keep 'em all. Still have the custom Bronco2 & the Boss 302 is in her. Rick C.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
More Gravely. I was sharing with a fellow in the coffee shop about the Simplex Gravely conversion. He listened & after the conversation had turned to fishing and farming he returned to the subject of Gravely. It seems he's been buying, using, rebuilding and collecting walk-behinds and tractors for decades & that I'd machined and rebuilt parts for him to rebuild many of those same engines over the years! I doubt he ever used the term Gravely when he brought the parts in, probably just asked if I could replicate or repair the part and a general function for the part.

I didn't ask if he had an L or T engine for sale but he did invite me out to admire his collection and that is a start in my part of Indian Territory. Happy hunting, cuzins! RickC.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Rick hope the Gravely/Simplex inspires you on your build, I'll be watching it for sure.

On my home front FedEx tracking shows the engine for the Simplex 5 speed build has made it as far as Hutchins, Tx. which is great news. Looks like I have 8 deliverys scheduled for the coming week which are related to the Simplex project. The engine being key to getting started with initial mockup, I've been told it will require a 428 chain?? Wait and see on a lot of things.
Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Update, 2nd. motor arrived it's a 125cc 5 speed got a decent buy on it, kick start only 11.5hp @ 8,000rpm with 9 lbs. of torque. Un-crated and finally have the measurements and height is just 17"hx12"w.x11"L..should fit easily using the two 2 liter peanut fuel tanks. I'd originally looked about for a 125cc & failed to locate one, fate maybe. I can always use the 150cc electric start on another build when it arrives. Rick C.

Attachments

Reactions: Nightster

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
11.5 hp? On their dyno, yes. Back wheel power will be about 9, but you can raise it fairly simply/cheaply if you want, but for what the Simlex is meant for, is there any point?

While I remember, you will probably find a yawning chasm between 3rd and 4th (the original Japanese and then Brazilian models did), resulting in having to rev it in 3rd so 4th has something to work with when you change up.

What carb is it? Our racers usedto buy a 22mm Mikuni clone as the ideal size.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
11.5 hp? On their dyno, yes. Back wheel power will be about 9, but you can raise it fairly simply/cheaply if you want, but for what the Simlex is meant for, is there any point?

While I remember, you will probably find a yawning chasm between 3rd and 4th (the original Japanese and then Brazilian models did), resulting in having to rev it in 3rd so 4th has something to work with when you change up.

What carb is it? Our racers used to buy a 22mm Mikuni clone as the ideal size.
Yours is a timely post & valued. I always take manufacturer specs with 2 fingers of single malt then they make perfect sense! I'm good with anything north of 8hp. If it feels too anemic I'll be asking you about mods & tuning tips for sure. Simplex will be town transport 90% and no street racing (have to keep a low profile)!

I don't know why so many motos have such a disparity on gear changes. Don't the engineers ride or listen to their own test drivers? I for one don't like having to downshift immediately just after going up because I wasn't on top of the cam.

Base engine no carb included. I'll be going Mikuni for certain & thought 28mm but sounds like I'll be way over carbed since the racers were using 22mm. No CDI included. Do you have a suggestions for source on one? 6 pin rectangular connector with 5 pins in use. Kick start only.

I'll bend my own exhaust pipe using 1&1/4" or 1&1/2"stainless. We have a Huth commercial tube bender in the shop so handlebars, exhaust and tube frames are a snap. Thanks, Rick C.

Attachments

Reactions: Nightster

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Nice to see shiny new parts show up! It will be even nicer to see them going onto the frame. No frame modifications, is that right? Will you put it all together first and then take it apart for paint, or paint first and then assemble?
SB