Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Ludwig I've the Goulding data marked for reference. Good stuff that. The advice on preload is precisely what I've needed. I've two hundred pounds of ballast that can easily be safely located & stabilized (barbell weights) I'd thought mounting at passenger seating position a good spot, sans body to test ….body shell is 50 lbs. or so. More weight is easy & cheaply acquired if needed. Your thoughts on this appreciated. Yes with caution.

Rick C.

junglepig

Oct 28, 2018
Georgia

I had not seen this kind of side car before, thought you might get a kick out of it.
I can't imagine why this idea never took off with young couples!
Can you imagine paddling your way back after then engine quits, unfolding your two cramped up bodies out of that thing, and lifting it out of the water and carrying it back to the bike?
Man, it sounds miserable and makes my back hurt just thinking about it. Even without any engine troubles.
Novel and cute for sure.
When the video began, I was hoping the whole contraption would be amphibious. Just ride right down a boat ramp and into the water.
Someone should build a duck bike as a project :)
I'm enjoying watching your project, indian22! It may inspire me to build something when I have space to work again.
Keep up the great work, have fun, and thank you for sharing!

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma

I had not seen this kind of side car before, thought you might get a kick out of it.
That is quite the nautical rig! My kayak won't be a dual use conveyance. I wish the video detailed the latch for quick release. At any rate it's a very entertaining advertisement.

Fast Eddie built the coolest wooden (Chriscraft) runabout sidecar for his pedal bike several years back. He's got lots of skills & woodwork is one of them. Silverbear hacked an aluminum canoe down to size and created a beautiful sidecar for his motorbike and dog. I give him the credit for my kayak inspiration.

Rick C.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
This is nothing to do with anything here, but people tend to think of amphibious bikes & scooters being a single compromised vehicle or vessel. What about a boat mounted at 90 degrees to a scooter/bike, each having it's own engine & drive?

There you go, a frivolous idea. Carry on.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Ludwig you've probably had lunch & I'm just considering breakfast, so you've been thinking outside the boat on the 90 degree rig with a full load of caffeine & nutrients while here in the former colony....frivolities of the a.m. persist.

Jungle pig I concur with your analysis. I would add the cold weather setting was not the best for promoting riding let alone boating for a young couple and the young lady likely caught her death without jacket, shawl and watch cap. Pure sexism in advertising I'd suggest, which works, but makes no sense in reflecting actual use. I will refrain from such practice in my own posts, though attractive young ladies will be welcome passengers, if they hold the puppy! Lab puppies, motorbikes & sidecars are certainly babe magnets even for Old guy.

Expedited shipping gets all the springs here Monday next. Other than the kayak shell all major components for the car will soon be in hand. I chose to accept a torsion spring with attached hub rather than wait for a hub less to ship. The cost difference wasn't that great either. These half axle springs are specific for right hand use (U.S.) or left hand (U.K.) configuration; my apology to the rest of the worlds population.

Meanwhile I'll be riding the Copper gator Simplex for the next 3 days as much as possible...afternoon weather has been incredibly lovely with forecast for the same.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
On my second cup of Columbian this a.m. & posting like mad!

In another thread about tandem bikes the discussion turned to electric powered hybrid etc. and my mind jumped back to my early consideration of powering the outside wheel of my sidecar rig with an electric hub. My thoughts recently about changing out the 5 speed 125cc for a 4 speed with reverse version of the same motor for maneuvering the sidecar Simplex rig are still at the fore of my random considerations. Added to these musings were Ludwig's comments on testing and learning to conduct, safely, a hack rig by adding considerable ballast to the passenger less sidecar to improve rig manners...all these led me to this. An electric reversing hub hack wheel using lead batteries (for ballast weight) to power the car wheel forward or reverse. Is this even possible with a standard controller and wheel setup commonly available or will this involve a custom hub and controller? Cost is not an issue here, but I am curious about the feasibility of such a project say under the cost of an engine swap. Since ballast weight and reverse are my main priorities it might be the smart move to just set the wheel for reverse only and forget about forward electric power. I'd estimate the total weight of the rig (without the rider and passenger) at 350 lbs, ….175 lbs. for the bike & the same for the car. What say ye old wise (electric) guys?
Rick C.

Reactions: fasteddy

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Not sure about powering the side car wheel. I have a Worksman trike, with one wheel drive. If you get on it hard any at all it really pulls to thr right ( right hand drive ) . Make it really squerlly only way I would put a motor on it is use a differential like staton inc has. But maybe a bike may be different, just my thought. What weight range is the torsion hub?.............Curt

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Hi Curt 500 lb. torsion half axle . I'm thinking that I would rig the sidecar wheel for reverse only. It wouldn't be used for powering the bike forward, so not worried about speed or handling while using the electric, only use would be backing out of tight spots.

I'd use big heavy lead batteries in the car which would provide much needed ballast weight to the car for better handling & less car bounce.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Curt. Deep cycles would be a good choice & it wouldn't surprise me if I only had to charge once a month.

Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Looked through all my ebike sites and of course there were a couple of dozen theories on what to do but not having to deal with the Hall wires it seems that a simple reverse switch or better yet simply reverse the wheels direction so it drives in reverse for the short time you'll need it.

Steve.

Reactions: indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Looked through all my ebike sites and of course there were a couple of dozen theories on what to do but not having to deal with the Hall wires it seems that a simple reverse switch or better yet simply reverse the wheels direction so it drives in reverse for the short time you'll need it.

Steve.
I'm thinking reverse the wheel, but add a neutral switch to prevent accidental coach wheel engagement while under way in any forward gear coupled with the switch & throttle of the hub motor.

I cut the hub off & drilled the axle arm of the torsion axle this morning. Leaf spring may be a delivery this afternoon.
Rick C.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma

Steve.
Steve I've looked at quite a few electric hub wheels and am just not satisfied with the rim & spoke quality. I could of course lace a quality 20" bmx rim to a hub motor, but I'm not feeling great about mounting an electric hub wheel to the torsion axle. It can be done , yet I'm not thrilled with the envisioned result. I have some high quality D.O.T. approved 18" wheels that are perfect for what I have in mind & I'm going with one of those on the side car and I'll run a disc brake on it with 2.5" moped speed rated rubber. This mainly for improved load rating safety...and appearance too!

I'm also not ready to give up on adding reverse to my rig and that powered by a chassis mount electric motor and chain drive to the hack wheel. This is not without it's own problems, but I'll feel much better knowing the wheel is rugged enough to stand up to the weight of the car and load. I plan on using a foot pedal throttle mounted on the car frame so all wiring and hack controls (brake & reverse throttle) will reside on the sidecar frame. I'll probably select a 48 v. 1000 watt motor and very basic controller. 4 - 12 volt lead batteries in series for power and added weight. I also trust them not to burn my property down while charging...perhaps I'm wrong in feeling this way, though I really do.

This would not be a fun hobby if all was easy, yet it seems that occasionally a few things might go as planned and without hitch! Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
When you said there was a motor with a reverse gear I thought that would be the ticket home. Made for the job and self contained.

Lithium tends to not to like being messed with. Over charged or over discharged tend to start then onto a thermal runaway. Quite impressive, if it's not your battery. 18650 cells are getting good reviews and seem to be a safe technology. There is a company that makes holders so you don't need to solder them. I'll look up the site and post it.

Not what your looking for since you want the weight but I'll add it anyways for referral.

This hobby is like having a girlfriend when your a teenager. Always wants a little more from you than your willing to give.

Steve.

Reactions: indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Steve I've wanted a battery project for awhile, something of interest & that's where I'm at. This is entry level stuff as far as tech goes. Since I need ballast for balance the batteries are a useful 75 lbs. additional, rather than just adding dead weight...both methods are simple enough

I'm so pleased with the way my Simplex is running that I'm loathe to swap my current power train at this time, but in the case of a major motor problem the 4 speed with reverse replacement would make a lot of sense; especially if I end up using the rig setup on a frequent basis. If I were building the bike from scratch to mount a sidecar I'd no doubt select the drive train with the reverse gear & 4 forward speeds, but I'm not.

The Vruzend battery building sets are sensational. Like Legos for batteries!

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I ordered a very basic 48 volt, 1000 watt motor, controller, sprockets and chain to play with for awhile while I'm putting the frame in order for the side car. Reduction on one of the sprocket combinations is over 6 to 1 so granny reverse. I hope Fall weather holds for awhile, but I really don't mind working inside if I must.

Having formed a basic concept & with the parts on the way I'm feeling optimistic for sure. I build in my head but often my head doesn't know what I'm trying to accomplish...."it's just a failure to communicate".

Rick C.