Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Hi Steve, I've never felt the need for social media so I can't view face book etc.

Harold my thoughts are not to replicate a specific model or year but combine the vintage look with more up to date parts and materials. I like adding features which upgrade, performance, dependability and safety...without completely destroying the simplicity and look of a bygone era in motoring. Sometimes I may try to hide an upgrade while on other occasions I leave it wide open for all to see. While some may criticize the lack of authenticity in my builds or in the work of others, I openly point out my own changes with pride.

I restored vehicles to "as original" for many years and had some that were judged 100 point builds in major national competition...not an easy feat in top shows where judges are incredibly knowledgeable and meticulous collectors as well as judges. So I really value well done originals and exact replicas of anything guns, furniture, boats etc. and in my opinion it's much more difficult to do well than custom work.

I've decided to build "one off" builds for now and use no apologies. Though my own preferences might be quite different as to style or design variations when it comes to others efforts in bike construction; I allow them the very same courtesy I'd prefer myself to receive in this regard.

One of the things I much appreciate in this category of the forum is that common courtesy between posting members is quite common & that my friends is very uplifting & motivating! Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Steve, Thanks for the link. That little beauty in small scale of a Harley knuckle head is a machinist's marvel! Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Steve I can honestly say that the greatest post that I've seen on this forum is to be found in my thread, not though not one of my builds but the smallest knuckle head I've ever seen! Thanks for the link & anyone who doesn't check this 1/8 scale Harley out...well just really missed an opportunity to witness a masterpiece of cycling art!! Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rick, I thought as a machinist you would appreciate it more than most of us simply because a machinist better understands what he's done. The working Schrader valves for the tubes got my full attention not to mention the spokes.

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Used some time to finish fab work on the exhaust manifold and stub that I began a couple of months ago...I start and stop a lot on the work once I see that a concept will function properly I often move on to other parts of the build. As startup is coming up I need to get this part finished. I'll get one of my guys to weld the parts today. Still a long way from complete but startup is a big step in the right direction. I'll just use a "kit" tank for fuel & wire up is quite simple. Rick C.

Attachments

Reactions: Nightster

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
What a great thread this is...
SB
Thanks Silver bear but I'm blushing...

Left my header parts at the shop after lunch & one of the guys welded and returned after work. I instructed them to leave the pipe extra long in case I decide to put some more bend into it, cut too short and not enough length remains to fit the dies. Left as is I'm thinking it's 4" too long. I'll mess with it tomorrow. Header parts fit just right. Rick C.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Well it was a really good day & lot of stuff got done, including a bit of work on the HD Peashooter. First I chopped about 4" off the exhaust & cut an angle tip...then wrapped the top in header tape & secured the wrap with stainless ties. Then mounted the thang.

Also completed the saddle upper mount & rib. Bolted the saddle to the whole affair and adjusted, I didn't measure but looks like the rib runs about 4.5" above the rear tire unloaded & 2.5" with me aboard. I tried the bounce test and couldn't bottom it out. I still have about an inch and a half additional adjustment, so I'm calling it good. Very solid feel to the mount and seat also.

Pat sent me a 40 tooth sprocket and hub adaptor as well as a idler sprocket today and will install ittomorrow. I'll post some more photos tomorrow.

Rick C.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I added some comparison photos of the Sportsman hub adapter with my "piece of junk" I use for mock up on builds under progress (no name, discount hub adapter & sprocket sold by several suppliers), which didn't stand up to use on an unmodified China doll motor. The difference is amazing. First of all it is a three section design rather than a two piece...clamps the hub better & makes installation easier when using large diameter spokes (11 or 12 gauge) uses 3/8" hardware rather than 5/16" on both sprocket and adapter bolts. heavy duty high grade bolts as well. The photos show the adjustment difference of adjustment allowed with the Sportsman system...really a help in adjusting chain lines to clear large tires or just get dead straight. The larger sprocket center hole also helps clear the coaster brake arm as the comparison photo shows. Finally the machine work is accurate and everything bolts in true & remains tight.

I'm using the Sportsman on the Simplex Gator as well & even with the torque of the 12 horse 5 speed motor and 56 tooth final sprocket the hub has stayed in place & no bent spokes during several months of riding...though not pulling the wheel up I have had several really hard pulls in low to avoid traffic and the adapter stayed in place under those loads. I decided to use a 40 tooth sprocket on the Harley thinking low will be of more use with higher gearing... on the Simplex I seldom use low, except for compression braking.

Nice piece of gear!

Rick C.

Attachments

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Looks great Rick. You keep an amazing pace for anyone let alone someone that's got to watch out for their bad back. I'm using the SA brakes on my build as well. Securing the front brake arm and making it flow with the lines of the forks is a challenge. I've been tempted to use the Worksman drum hubs for that reason and that they look a little more retro but I've not read where anyone has a lot of good things to say about their stopping power. I've flipped the front wheel around about a dozen times imagining different anchors but haven't nailed it yet.
You can't go wrong with Pat's parts. I used that same adaptor on my previous build and never had a concern of loosening even with the awful Michigan potholes. Everything else rattled loose at some point but not that!
Again, looking great. Thanks for the frequent and well thought out updates. There's a lot of great information in this thread.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Harold, I've felt well enough to get some things accomplished, yet each day is an unknown...take 'em as they present themselves.
Thanks Harold I'm just trying to share my experience's good and bad with others & don't pretend that my way or preferences are better than another's.
Sturmeys been around since 1901 & Worksman a while longer so I'm not sure one is a great deal better than the other, but I too have noticed some less than flattering remarks about the Worksman. I've only had experience with the S-A brakes and have been pleased with the 70 mm & the 90 mm as well, neither equals the all around performance of an average 160 mm disc/caliper bicycle brake for sure, but they look better on a classic bike build in my opinion. I agree that the lever on the S-A is difficult to blend into most forks and really looks like an add on, yet it's what I keeping choosing to work with on certain bikes.

Hope you are making some progress on your great project as well. Rick C.