Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Here's the F head, inlet over exhaust explained diagram. This diagram is generalized for "typical" intake over exhaust design engines that were produced by many different manufacturers. The intake valve is shown only as a rocker assembly on the other side of the motor. The specific Harley designed engine has both intake & exhaust valves on the same side of the motor & the exhaust port much lower on the cylinder as well, but it's a decent explanatory diagram. Changing that sparkplug must have involved deep socket/ extension! Just a diagram after all. See the F formed by the valve (shaded F)?

Rick C.

Rick C.
Harley F-Head-1 detail.jpg

Reactions: fasteddy and Tony01

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
That museum would be a worthwhile visit Tom & thanks for the share. I didn't know where this particular Jefferson was located, but have admired the image many times. True overhead valves and the forward mounted mag are distinctive for the Mack though shared with other marques. I like the frames simplicity, un-sprung guider fork, the basic wires and cables tucked away in basic black, visually pops the motor and crème tires. Really racy period!

Hope Christmas was wonderful.

Rick C.

lewdog7431

Feb 13, 2019
Rick this whole time I had none idea what you building but posting the picture of the blueprint twin cylinders eng makes total sense now wow that's allot of motor , question time, is it a two stroke twin or 4stroke, im not knowing are you going to put that build on the fraim you posted, with pedals and a pedal crank, how many cc is the complete build going to be, these are questions that run through my mind, I've been reading your thread but I didn't get it till now that's fuckin amazing man I'll keep up with posts I'm anxious to see what the final is but the build is lookin strong from a rookie point of view, thumbs up to you mr Rick and thank you for sharing your project,............lewdog

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Lew it's just a motor case for an electric motor. No gas, just looks like an original 1,000cc 4 stroke twin.

Frame will be an replica 1900's loop frame like this photo. I'll paint the motor rather than polish it. The frame and tank will be black. Yes it will have operational pedals. Lithium battery hidden in the fuel tank & the electric motor hidden in the crank case. This will be a "silent black fellow" rather than a grey one.

Rick C.

Harley 1915 board track racer.jpg

Last edited:

lewdog7431

Feb 13, 2019
Whoa now that's bad ass man thumbs up for sure , you know the news says N.Y just vetoed a bill to legalize e bikes and e scooter my point is that in the laws are against propelled wheels with out the ability to pedal so this y I asked if your putting a pedal crank set on the build , but it's a sweet lookin bike thanks Rick........lewdog

Reactions: indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Lew I'm aware of the veto but I've not kept up with the details, but the last I'd heard was that one of the strong proponent's of the bill had offended the Governor's sensibilities by a comment made on issues separate from the bike bill & this is him acting out in retaliation against her and not against the wording of the bill. Long & short of it he has the power of veto & he used it, whatever his thinking.

It's a long way from N.Y. to here in Indian Territory, but there is ripple effect from what "they do" in other parts of the country & in what those in office locally decide to enforce on us, for "our own good & the public's safety" just because they can.

I put operational pedals on all my bike builds even on the two (Simplex & Harley) that are actually motorcycles. built using bike parts. The photo shows the look of the motor painted as an original would have been rather than shined up. The other two are my motorcycle builds. I like my bikes to look somewhat kindly used and old.

Rick C.

1917-Harley-Davidson-Model-17-T-Board-Track-Racer-8.jpg
full size android photo.jpg
harley peashooter resized.jpg

Last edited:

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Rick,
Pardon my lack of 'likes' throughout the latter few weeks of your V-twin e-motor build. Fact is it's always challenging coping with some of Jen's constantly varying and/or escalating symptoms but I'm pleased to confirm we're back on top of things and I eventually returned to the forum after a four week hiatus in the last few days and just now enjoyed reading and catching up with your handiwork. Awe inspiring progress indeed! Pretty sure I recognize where that shiny T-shaped inlet manifold came from!

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Forums, threads and posts should all concern more than just a "topic" of interest. I'd hope all would have & show concern for the well being of each other at heart and our loved ones. Personal sharing reveals that we are engaged in a community and have more in common than just motorizing bicycles. It's always a blessing to share with others in both the best of times and also during those that require our greatest strengths. Lew has it right, God continue to bless us all in the New Year and beyond.

Words of council are less than adequate Pete & Tom.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Happy New Year though it all carries forward I'd hope to leave much of my bad attitude behind...lightens the load somewhat and frees me up to accomplish something new & complete that which is unfinished. I'm without hangover & fully rested so I've no excuses so far...

I'm working on the output side of the case & am in the process of aligning, spacing and securing the motor & output coupled to the primary drive train. The e-motor itself is fastened to the case at 6 different points, including a base plate that bears it's entire weight on both frame and the motor case. My decision to locate the reduction drive with (jackshaft) components inside the "crankcase" to save frame space has created both spacing and alignment issues that aren't normally encountered using separate jackshaft/motor frame locations. The issues are "solved" just not implemented at this point. The reduction sprockets will run on the outside of the case & be covered by guards. The secondary drive will not employ a guard. Once I get the mechanicals, including frame mounts, completed I can get back to working on the e- motor case's vintage intake over exhaust appearance.

Rick C.

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
You guys are the best Tom and I do appreciate all the active forum members as well as those from days past my life is fuller because of you.

Tony I started losing my childhood buddies in "66 by the bunches and it finally got some better in the early '70's. but they do seem to leave us in bunches if we live long enough. Lives cut short in youth are certainly troubling but I've never gotten use to loss no matter the age or whatever the so called reason. I wish a better year to come for all!

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I dang sure got some work done this afternoon and I'm all lined out to hit it again tomorrow. E-motor is securely mounted and disassembly will be and is so simple. Either the 2kw or the 3kw will fit this case with only one simple spacer plate, so if performance disappoints with the 2kw it's a quick switch.The internal jack shaft is trued & bearings can be lubed without breaking the case open. I've one weld inside the case that needs a bit of a grind, but 10 minutes with the cable Dremel should take care of that and then I can work on closing up the other side of the case and welding my reduction gear and adding a couple of lugs to the case for frame connections. I think I have enough room to mount a freewheel if I ever want to as well. Then it's concentrate on the myriad of small details to successfully carry this off. If I ever do another one I certainly see many ways I can reduce the time involved in the build, even if the design is quite different, like an Indian side valve, but it has been entertaining enough.

Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Happy New Year.

All my boyhood friends are gone but two. Lost a friend of 46 years on July 26 of this year. My best man and first wife died two weeks apart although she and I were divorced it didn't make it any easier.

The last thing a one friend of mine said to me before he passed on was that we all want to go to Heaven but we don't want to die to do it.

Steve.

lewdog7431

Feb 13, 2019
Kinda depressing guys , times like this I involve my self with work and my bike's especially the motor bikes , I gotta stay focused on the living my self and appreciate them while they're still around they need us to be there for them loved ones and others, count your good blessings good people and I thank God we all made it through another year

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Even without a tight build deadline, your dreamed-of faux V-twin e-motor is fast becoming reality quicker than any of us forumites following along could have imagined. The perfect example of what is achievable once a well thought out plan gets underway. No 'down to the nearest millimeter' blueprints either. And without the benefits of your old fully tooled-up shop; With just a reasonably clear picture in your minds eye, some prototype photos of what the original motor looked like to guide you and a willingness to amend things as work proceeds Rick, it feels like I'm looking over an artist's shoulder watching another of his creations taking shape.
My eyes are green with envy. I'm betting betting China eyes are watching your motor build with interest and the benefit of saving themselves some R&D too....