Ok front brake question.

GoldenMotor.com

Evil_Dooher

Apr 26, 2012
Palm Springs, CA
It is fairly common for motorized bicycle users to put a v-brake lever on the left, facing the rider, for a thumb-activated clutch, to allow conventional use of a brake lever. I think a thumb-activated brake lever, esp. the front, might be a bad idea. As your weight shifts forward, or if you are alarmed by a traffic situation, you might tend to grab the brake lever mightily.
This is EXACTLY how I have mine set up. Dual levers on the left, but the thumb lever is my clutch. Sometimes hard to set the button lock, but honestly how often do I use it while riding?

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I have coaster brakes in the rear, clutch on the left, front brake lever on the right. I guess most people dont do it this way because the throttle is kind of in the way of a brake lever, but I made it work for me. i have an older style brake lever that clamps onto the handlebar by way of two screws. it actually came off of a grantsport circa 1970. i think it is much safer and easier to have two levers at roughly the same position. point in fact, motorcycles are the same way, clutch on left, front brake on right, rear foot brake, at least from what i am told. I live in the city, so i have to stop at traffic lights and such, and besides, i pull the clutch every time i brake, otherwise my engine would stall. another member said he only pulls the clutch if he is going slow so the engine doesnt stall, but how would pulling the clutch make the engine stall? unless you have to stop right away in an emergency, its a simple matter of coordination. drop the throttle, pull the clutch, then brake. if you need to stop suddenly, screw coordination and just pull the damn brake lever. but I do the routine so many times i dont even think when im doing it anymore. drop the throttle, pull the clutch, then brake. my engine has never stalled from braking in this manner, and I have seldom failed to either drop the throttle or successfully lock the clutch before braking.

Evil_Dooher

Apr 26, 2012
Palm Springs, CA
We are talking about a three lever system here. Two brakes, one clutch. On cars, the front brakes do about 80-90% of the braking, same on motorcycles. Braking too hard on the front can make the front wheel skid and you'll lose control. No bueno.

As far as whomever you read saying they engage the clutch at low speeds so they don't stall, Im sure you misunderstood. They meant they grab the clutch to AVOID stalling. I read the same post but also can't recall what section.

Last edited by a moderator:

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
Most people who do not like coaster brakes do not like them for a reason. If you look in to the reason why you will probably find that hours have been logged on them. And they have usually let people down for some reason or another. They didn't just say out of the blue I don't like coaster brakes because they are there.
I personally don't think they should be the only brakes you have. Whatever you choose to use is up to you. I've found all brakes have their flaws in some form or another. It's best to try to find the one's that have the least flaws and run with it.
Telling someone what they should be using for brakes though is not a very good idea. It leads to arguments, name calling etc.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Of course NormO is correct.
Only the gubment TELLS people what to do. Or tries to think they can.

Best I can do is make suggestions to builders, using long drawn out anecdotes based on personal experience and hope to convince them my experience and observations are valid and save them a lot of skin, here and there.

On pedal bikes, I never broke a chain, when using coaster brakes. But it could happen.
Going what I considered to be fast, down hill, I have had coaster brakes fade to a degree they were worthless, I have had coaster brakes lock up, and I have had chains fall off, leaving me with no brake at all.

Coaster brakes were designed for pedal bicycles, to be used at the lowest of speeds. Cruiser bikes.

When we install a motor assist on a bicycle, it is similar to going downhill, all the time. A coaster brake is simply not safe.

Thinking more about it, over the years, I have seen some very bad injuries occur to bicycle riders, at ridiculously slow speeds.
Of course speed can compound problems.

The question is, WHY take the chance with an inferior option?

Perhaps I become a bit too vocal on the subject, from time to time, but I really do not like to see people get hurt. There is nothing good about it.

Most recently, I accepted, condoned, and perhaps advised a scrubber brake to a fellow member here. For specific reason. He is a sensible fellow, had constructed a motorbike with a specific low speed purpose, and braking from a speed more than 10mph would most likely never become a factor.
Anything would be an improvement to dragging feet!

Personally, I'd even put some sort of minimal brake on a BTR even though they are historically absent.

Good luck to all of you!
rc

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Some people don't trust coaster brakes because if the torque arm or clamp band fails, the brake, when next engaged, will rotate the entire axle, possibly injuring the rider by forcing the pedals to turn at high speed. Also, most have caged bearings, which can possibly be destroyed if the cage(s) deform, and the bearings shift.

I think using any kind of idler on a coaster brake chain is a bad idea. If you have slack, take out a link as necessary.

A stronger chain, and a stronger clamp are good upgrades to a coaster.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Not to mention that if you only have a coaster (rear) brake, and you hit it at say 35mph, unless you are VERY careful it just locks the rear wheel and makes one of two very large skid marks.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
No one is picking on you, Ed. It is a board for suggestions, and there are lots of helpful people here trying to save people the trouble or injury.

I'm using a coaster brake rear, and v-brake in front with a massive brake booster.

I am using the conduit strap shown with the thick high grade bolt, because that other poj broke on me, and the bike pedaled me!

I use the front brake for about everything, but the coaster brake works for holding on hills and stop lights, and keeps the handlebars from being crowded.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
You mean like this? Please see "Announcing the Howard Sprocket mount". My post dated 3/10/2012, post #33
For some reason the site won't let you use the same picture twice, even if it's for another reason.
fatdaddy.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
90% of the bikes I've built have a coaster on the rear... I think the coasters work fine as long as you keep them properly greased & inspected.

I also think that good front brakes are a very necessary addition to a motorized bicycle.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
90% of the bikes I've built have a coaster on the rear... I think the coasters work fine as long as you keep them properly greased & inspected.

I also think that good front brakes are a very necessary addition to a motorized bicycle.
Perhaps I'm just using really cheap coaster brakes, but my experience with them is that they will either not stop you very well at all, or they will lock up and "skid" you to a stop. Or fall apart and peddle you backwards. They were not built for 30mph stops. I have a coaster on my bike, but I also have dia-comp calipers on front. I've always said it's more important to stop then to go. If you can't go, you won't die. If you can't stop, you could die. I just use my coaster as a "helper" brake and emergency backup. Couse ya REALLY gotta have brakes.
fatdaddy

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I hit three deer in two months a couple years ago. (car and truck)

The closest I have come is on my scooter, and that was about 5 feet from impact, but I saw it coming and got target fixation.

If I had a close encounter with one on the MB, I'd just body check it at 15 mph.
LOL!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Odd that no one has mentioned owning/riding multiple bikes with different brakes and how you need to adjust to the differences.

Just yesterday I was riding one of my older bikes that has front dics, lever on the left, and rear rim brakes, lever on the right. I hadn't ridden this bike in a few weeks and had been riding a newer one with front dics, lever on the left and coaster brakes in the rear.
I came to the first stop sign and because I was accustomed to the coasters, started to pedal backwards "Oh, $hit, No brakes!" :) Took a second or two to remember which bike I was on and squeezed the levers.

When you ride different bikes with different brakes, be careful and remember which bike you're on.
Tom

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Your choice of gearing majorly affects the qualities of the coaster brake system. A very low gear or long crank arms make them nice and tame.
I just use the pedals to take off, and to move the bike in the truck yard , so I used a pretty low gear. I think it's 36x18. The cranks are 175mm .

Free picture hosting at www.sadpanda.us .

Perhaps I'm just using really cheap coaster brakes, but my experience with them is that they will either not stop you very well at all, or they will lock up and "skid" you to a stop. Or fall apart and peddle you backwards. They were not built for 30mph stops. I have a coaster on my bike, but I also have dia-comp calipers on front. I've always said it's more important to stop then to go. If you can't go, you won't die. If you can't stop, you could die. I just use my coaster as a "helper" brake and emergency backup. Couse ya REALLY gotta have brakes.
fatdaddy

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I don't know of anyone who sells rim brake shoes that actually have ceramic bits in the compound. You may have purchased rim brake (v-brake) shoes formulated for ceramic coated rims. They will last longer on aluminum rims than on ceramic coated rims, but will probably feel scratchy and kind of hard.