Odometer resets when motor runs!!

GoldenMotor.com

skuzzy

Jul 19, 2009
Australia
Hello everyone I am new here, I just got my motor installed, and have been using an odometer, The Odometer resets all of the time when the motor runs, I tried two different odometers but they both don't like the electrical interference from the motor. I did see somewhere on this forum that someone changed their plug and plug wiring, and it helped. Is this a common problem with motorized bicycles, or it is a rare thing, what is the easiest thing to do prevent this?

Is there some kind of suppressor that can be used on the spark plug cap that can reduce RFI?

Has anyone had success at using any methods?

Thanks
()().ride9

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Skuzzy,
Here's a link to discussions on your problem. http://motorbicycling.com/f3/speedometer-problem-rfi-emi-7230.html I'll add that relocating the CDI further toward the rear and away from the speedometer will also help. I mount mine on the seat tube just under the saddle. Because the kit supplied plug wires are notoriously short it might be necessary to replace it with a longer one. Look for a good metallic core wire instead of the resistance wire found at auto parts stores. Lawn mower repair shops, motorcycle shops are good sources.
Tom

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i got my scwhinn speedo to work by keeping it away from the cdi wires.
i put my speedo wires as far to the left as i can and i put the kill switch wires as far to the right as i can.

Emerica

Feb 1, 2008
Would using anti static bags from hard drives be enough? I though of that or tinfoil.
Just put a layer under the speedo and see?
There are at least two kinds of anti static bags, you'd want the shiny coated stuff as opposed to the pink bags.

It's a shot in the dark, but I'm really wondering if it would work.
edit-
I guess it also depends if the interference is at the speedo or along the wire.

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
The speedometer and speedometer wire must be kept away from the kill switch wires. My speedometer was working fine until I moved it from the left side to the right side of the handlebars. The problem was the kill switch wires that run to the CDI/motor.

skuzzy

Jul 19, 2009
Australia
Thanks for your help,

I used three ferrite beads on the wires, one on the main wire and two more on the split wires closer to the odometer and moved the whole thing away from the kill switch, and it worked. I will go get a new spark plug wire and plug cover later.

In Australia you can get the ferrite beads for $3.50 a bag at Jaycar.

cheers.