No power to back tire?

GoldenMotor.com

jmcgahran

Jun 16, 2009
pa
I've been having all sorts of problems with my 2 stroke. Now that I've got it running after 2 weeks of repair, It won't go. It will start and idle great. I can rev it when it's idling. When I release the clutch my bike won't move. I lifted the rear tire and released the clutch. It will spin very slowly for about 3 seconds and then die. If I throttle it with the clutch out it will immediately die. I can not figure this one out? I want to go for a long ride soon I only have 25miles on it.

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I have a couple of questions how do you start this engine by pedaling it or recoil rope starter?
Do you have the chain tension too loose or very tight?
If your chain is sloppy lose it can bind up on the front sprocket this will act like a brake as the chain hits the engines housing from bunching up on the sprocket killing the engine.
Norman

Last edited:

jmcgahran

Jun 16, 2009
pa
I start by pedaling, The chain tensioner is in the middle. The chain has 1/2in. of slack on it. I can pedal the bike with the clutch in fine. I was riding a few weeks ago and my chain fell of at 20mph. It fell into the dive gear and bent. Could this sudden stop have broken something in the clutch assembly?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
you might have a sheared key on one of the gears or sprocket it might be holding well enough to start but the killing of the engine part puzzles me? Have you checked the wiring making sure no worn or shorted wires anywhere?
Have you taken off the clutch cover to make sure all is well no broken teeth on either gear?
No loose parts under all covers including the mag coil cover?
One more thing check and make sure you have all of the carb parts in the stock position.
make sure your needle e-clip is clipped in the #2 slot from the top of the needle. no intake leaks?
did you split the crankcase? If you did did you get a new gasket these gaskets like to leak in the back area where you can't see them leak,right where the main shaft goes through. All seals in place and not leaking? leaks will sometimes show a black oily goo where they are leaking.
It could be a number of things causing your problem not being able to see it myself its going to be a tough one.
Norman

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
sort of on topic and might be some help...

I had a '65 Rambler American with a 196 6cyl.. when I got it, it would run and idle perfect but have absolutely no power, and it would flood up and die when you tried to drive it up hill or even on the grass.. New carb aided in idiling but power loss.. ended up having a retarded timing due to a severely worn set of points, and thus, no power... but, I had the original carb professionally restored and it wasn't done right, and had the same problem.. but at that point, I just kept running the new carb, even tho it had no automatic kickdown lever to hook to..

so even tho my experiences are on a 4 stroke car engine, it could be a fuel or ignition problem... check to see if the magneto has spun on the shaft a little, and rebuild or check over the carb