newby welding question

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
My neighbor came up and used the welder to do a drive wheel for me. I haven't gotten my helmet so that I can see where I am starting the rod. He did the drive with 3/32 rod, then I had him do practice weld with a 1/16 rod both looked pretty good but I think the 1/16 was a bit easier to start. I think I might get a box of the 5/64 in between rods.

My first project will probably be to add a motor mount bar to the test bike. I have a feeling I'm going to switch the chainsaw 33 to it instead of the big huffy. And if the chainsaw 33 won't run, I may get another one since I can attach them a lot better now. I know exactly how to go about it with the least amount of fuss.

The helmet should be here next week and I will be giving the welder a try. It was nice to have him work with it so I know that it will work. I also know the sticking rods happens to everyone. He isn't used to a rod welder anymore he has moved on to a wire welder now. So he had to get used to the rod demon again.

Still it was a good experience and I got my drive wheel ready.

Willy

Jul 22, 2008
British Columbia
The taste of success is sweet, way to go. Now that you know that the machine works it's just a matter of practice, practice, and more practice. After a while you won't even have to think about it. Once you get your helmet try some different joints, and when your done try to break them apart. When they don't break anymore you'll know that they will be good enough for your projects. The purty lookin welds will come later. We have to remember that we aren't welding pressure vessels on a nuclear reactor!
Have fun...it's always nice picking up a new skill.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I'm looking forward to learning. It should be a lot of fun to butcher metal instead of butchering wood for a while.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
My auto dark helmet arrived today ILOVEIT... I am going to start practicing now for sure. Truth is I have a bike I am working on that I am butchering but that's okay to.

It's a lot of fun to butcher steel.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I learned a couple of things with the welder yesterday. Most important was if the welding rod drops out of the camp, DON'T REACH DOWN AND PICK IT UP RIGHT AWAY.

I also need a better connection of the rod to the cable. I am going to redo that today before I start on the bike again. I have a feeling that and cleaning off the ground clamp will do the most good.

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
The main thing to remember about welding is, anything you touch is HOT! Can't you "Tom Sawyer" your friend into doing it while you watch and learn? Happy Hills & Trails Walter F. GVP
I said it once but it bears repeating,ANYTHING YOU TOUCH IS HOT!!!!!

Three new words, Aloe Vera Plant (cut off a little hunk and rub it on a burn=smile) Walter F.

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
Yes I got my welder in the mail. Yes I borrowed a rod and shield and yes I read the stuff about how to start the arc. Of course I didn't seem to grasp the concept until I burned up a rod and pretty much butchered an old bike frame but by golly the thing looks like it is going to hold.

Now it is ugly as original sin but I think it will hold. Took one complete rod to learn how to get it started. They tell you to pretend you are striking a match. What they forget to tell you is not to actually touch the striker. In other words get close but don't actually touch the metal. Jeeze how stupid am I anyway. Thank god for my new angle grinder is all I can say.

So here is the question. I glanced at the blue flame a couple of times by accident. Just a nano second but I saw it anyway. So do I have a trip to the emergency room in my future or will my retina survive the glimpse. If it helps any I have double vision all the time so it wasn't in good focus lol. Just a blue blur. What are the symptoms of retina burn anyway.
If you catch enough flash, you'll know by 3:00am. The pain will wake you from a sound sleep, like someone ground sand into your eyes.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well I got the self darkening helmet and it is great. Now I have yet anothe question. I am welding with a 3/32 rod. The helmet is set at dark screen 11. When it goes dark all i see is a pinprick of light. I still don't know exactly where i am welding. So what is the least bit of dark filter I can use and not get a trip to the ER.

Willy

Jul 22, 2008
British Columbia
Deacon, hopefully your helmet is adjustable.
If it is, at the low amperage you are welding at, a number 9 shade will give a better view without any danger to your eyes

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I moved it down to ten and it is much much better. I might try nine though just to see. I have been welding a few minutes everyday and I'm getting better at it. They aren't pretty but they are holding now.

I welded the joints on an engine frame that I had bolted together. I think that will cut down on the vibrations. I can't weld on the engine it is cast alum but I need to find a way to mount it to the frame more securely than the way I have been. They shake themselves apart eventually. I think it is the torque.

By the way welding is fun. When I get good at it I can see all kinds of projects and uses for the welder. I couldn't do it without the auto dark hood though.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Deacon,
Now that you have good protection for your eyes you should also consider any exposed skin. You can get a burn, just like sunburn from the arc flash if you weld enough. That's why you see the pros wear a leather vest that will cover their chest and gloves that protect the hands and arms. Any exposed skin should be covered to keep the radiation and sparks from burning.
Have fun but be safe. Keep flammables away from your welding area and check your area frequently for smoldering dust bunnies that might be ignited in corners. You don't want to wake up in the middle of the night with the smell of smoke coming from your garage. There have been many fires started from unnoticed welding sparks both in homes and industrial sights. Ask any firefighter.
Tom

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
kThanks for the advice, I know I should be more careful than I am. I do weld outside on a brick patio type flooring.

Just in case anyone is thinking about starting to weld and they are reading this, one things I think I have learned on my own is to hold the stick perpendicular to the weld. Not sideways like you do s soldering iron. I could be wrong but it seems to put down the metal from the rod much better that way.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
update:
last week I figured I had learned enough to see what it was that I was doing wrong. So I went and re read the welding tips on line. Sure enough I understood them on that reading. So if you are new to welding don't worry that it doesn't seem to be right keep going a while the re read the tips and you will have that OH YEAH moment.

Today I welded my first to pieces of metal together that I didn't also bolt. I used a c clamp and then welded them. It ain't purdy, and I did some serious over kill (used almost a whole rod to weld about ten inches) but it is holding. I still have some technique flaws but I am confident that I will get it. And no I'm not posting pictures till it looks a little more like the examples.

I am still having to go over it more than once to be sure I get it all covered. Its a combination of going too fast and the arc not at the right distance from the metal but that is just practice.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Oh i avoid the flash as much as I can. By the way I'm going to try to weld a sprocket on an engine today. This ain't gonna be purdy, pray for me...

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Thank you venice boy... You convinced me to give it a shot, also the fact that the engine is probably gone anyway, The sprocket is on and with a little grinding it didn't look too bad.

Whether it works or not remains to be seen. The engine does turn though so that part is a good thing.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Deacon
Man I've read these posts about your new found fun of welding. I'd like to say if you wear glasses and I think you do. Do not wear them when welding as it will cause slag burns on the lens and you can't clean them off it will melt into the lens. If you can go to Walmart and pick out a set of reading glasses that magnify up close and its OK is you can't see very far with them as its for helping you see up close and what you are welding. You can get lens for the helmit that magnify as well.
Do yo have a harbor freight close by? I pick up my welding rod there and the welding gloves chipping hammer etc.
I do think you will enjoy a wire feed more than a stick welder I want to get a wire feed but for now I use the oxy/accet. gas torch coat hangers work good for welding rods on this.
Any way welcome to the metal butchers club. Before I forget earplugs are important helps to keep hot sparks out of your ears.
Norman

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
do osha know about all these risks. I would have to dress like the Michelin man to be safe it seems.

I wear glasses and wear them under the welding hood. It works okay for now. I really like the rods. Wire might be easier but I do love a challenge and the rods are a great one. I am beginning to get the knack of this stuff now. It take me a while to get the arc started but once I do it seem to go pretty good now.

I still want to make those spark plug animals lol