new SkyHawk, no start

GoldenMotor.com

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I am trying to get my first kit running, having a **** of a time. So far the only thing running is the sweat down my forehead as I pedal the engine along!
Let me give an accurate recap of what happened so far...
First run she actually fired up, wouldn't idle, had to keep on the throttle to keep her going but she ran. (could have been a carb leak). My clutch was not good so I had to remove the carb to mess with the clutch. While removing the carb I forgot about the float, the carb flipped upside down and the fuel drained from it. I worked out my clutch and put the carb back on, but haven't heard a pop since.
I am wondering if turning the carb upside down while full of fuel will cause some kind of problem, or maybe the float gets stuck?
Since I haven't heard a pop from the engine I was also thinking maybe no spark? But there is no reason for the spark to have failed since last run...
Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
If you have the cns carb it will have a drain screw on the bowl, loosen it slightly to check for fuel.
If thats the screw with the red gasket behind it on the bottom, I can't open that to check because the clutch lever is right in the way of getting at the screw. If it had a hex head I could have used a wrench, but its just phyllips head screw, so I'm screwed! LOL

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
YAHOOO, she started!
I got to thinking, after flipping the carb and all and then running around not fireing, maybe everything is soked with heavily oiled break-in gas???
So I pulled the spark plug, ran her around a bit with the plug out, throttle maxed (gas off) and let the engine pump out anything built up in the cylinder. I also pulled off the air filter which was soaked in gas.
She fired up pretty easy once I put it all back together, it needs a little throttle to idle but seems to idle well enough when applied. I was so happy to get her running that I went over to the park and let her run for the first 10 minute no load break in period. Had to hold the throttle in a bit to keep it going. Now I gotta figure out what I need to do to adjust this idle....
On the way home I let the clutch out for a block and I must say it was a fun little ride!
Thanks to all the folks that have helped me here....

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
When I first start my engine, I unscrew the adjusting nut on the curved noodle on the throttle. This gives you a faster idle. After the engine is warmed up, just screw it back in and the idle drops down.