New Recumbent Build

GoldenMotor.com

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Thanks SB. As George Peppard used to say on the A Team, I love when a plan comes together!
Elmo

Last edited:

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Very cool, Elmo. Really like the sound too.
Thanks Dan. Been sometime since we last posted. Hope everything is going well for you? I should be test riding The bike this weekend if all goes well. Then tear down time and blast cabinet time and then paint.
Elmo

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thanks Dan. Been sometime since we last posted. Hope everything is going well for you? I should be test riding The bike this weekend if all goes well. Then tear down time and blast cabinet time and then paint.
Elmo

Sure has been a good long while, Elmo. My bad, Buddy.

Things go great and thanks for asking! Your self?

Really great to see all your hard work come together.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
My fault Dan, I have been off the board about two years. A lot of stuff happened but is under control now. I am doing great except for getting older. I am on the job remodeling a house. Brought my iPad and wifi hotspot so I could check in every now and then.
Elmo

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I worked on the engine trying to get it to idle low enough that the centrifugal clutch wouldn't engage. Finally changed the carb to lower the idle. Also working out the throttle linkage. I am close to have it working. It is a long way from the handlebars to the engine. Also have some glass beads coming to tractor supply.
Gonna have to completely disassemble the bike. Then it will be a session with the blast cabinet.
Elmo

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I have the throttle linkage figured out! I have to build another clamp and remove one cable stop and braze on another. All I have left before the first ride in figure out how to mount the gas tank. I am going to try to use the tank from the Flying Dutchman which is now no more.
Elmo image.jpg

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I have the throttle linkage complete. It is a Rube Goldberg looking contraption but it works really well. It uses a mountain bike brake lever and cable. The carb end is part of a cheap brake set but it gives me perfect adjustability. The brass connecter is from a ceiling fan safety cable. Gotta use what you have! I needed a really long brake cable, really a tandem, but no one in town had one. Stan Smith of Stans Rock and roll bike shop looked thru his stuff and found a pretty long one. He gave it to me and said " I want to see it when you are finished". Thanks Stan. If you ever ride the trace to Natchez and need bike help go see him! He is o.k.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
The second brake lever is the throttle. I never need the throttle when I am braking and never use brake when I am using the throttle. I never learned to heel and toe a bike.
Elmo
image.jpg

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
The gas tank is going to be a bit tougher. Not much room. I think I will try to use a seat post. The tank in the picture is sitting on a seat tube.
Elmo

image.jpg

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I got the gas tank mounted and hooked up. I have to modify the temporary exhaust pipe and a little tinkering it will be test riding time. Pictures won't load now I will try later.
Elmo

Attachments

Last edited:

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I made the gas tank from some six inch exhaust tubing I found at a local muffler shop. Migged the ends on and the filler pipe was from one of the hot rod catalogs. Brazed it and the outlet bung on. It holds one gallon.
Elmo

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I have a slight problem! I thought that the sprockets on the engine side took # 41 chain, not so too wide. I have a very steer hill leaving my house and when it had to pull hard it threw the chain. Tighter didn't help. I swapped it out for a very used single speed chain and it skips under heavy load. Neither of the two bike shops in town have that size chain. Tomorrow I will head to Walmart or Kmart and see if I can find a new chain. The bike pulls strong uphill. If I can solve this chain problem I will have a winner!
Elmo

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Houston we have liftoff! Today I got through tweaking and adjusting. I made a new jack shaft and made a new chain. I had a rough idle and too fast idle. When I realized that the kill switch was on and the wire intermittently touching ground that fixed the rough idle. Then oiled the filter and that cured the fast idle. These greyhound engines don't like unrestricted air feed.
I rode it up the killer hill no problems used about 1/3 throttle. I put about three miles in around the neighborhood and it ran and shifted great. I am really tickled with it. I am going to put about 100 miles on it before I tear it down for cleanup and paint. I still have to get the little computer speedometer and odometer back working and set up.
Elmo

image.jpg