New jug different, will it work?

GoldenMotor.com

Royale

Oct 13, 2009
Colorado
I just ordered a new jug for my engine because the old one got lost when I moved. I ordered it off ebay and it came with an intake, new piston and rings too. I also ordered one from gasbikes but it's been on back-order for like 3 weeks now so I gave up and just went the ebay route.

The first thing I noticed is the piston is different in that the wrist pin is lower. The intake has 40mm spacing too.

I have a Skyhawk GT5 motor so will this work if I swap both the piston and jug out instead of just the jug like I was planning?

I'm really hoping I don't have to order another one as I am sick of waiting. I really didn't want a jug with 40mm spacing though because the intake is garbage.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I just ordered a new jug for my engine because the old one got lost when I moved. I ordered it off ebay and it came with an intake, new piston and rings too. I also ordered one from gasbikes but it's been on back-order for like 3 weeks now so I gave up and just went the ebay route.

The first thing I noticed is the piston is different in that the wrist pin is lower. The intake has 40mm spacing too.

I have a Skyhawk GT5 motor so will this work if I swap both the piston and jug out instead of just the jug like I was planning?
Get the right Skyhawk part. Mixing brands will not work.

The only other company selling Skyhawk parts is.
http://www.pistonbikes.com/category-s/5.htm

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Personally, I would carefully assemble it and see if it turns over without interference. But then again, I'm cheap and hate waiting for mail order parts.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
along with diff pistons & barrels, there are diff rod lengths - if you try it & piston smacks the head, you won't be able to return it

Royale

Oct 13, 2009
Colorado
As long as the crank/conrod are the same from the GT5 to whatever engine this is supposed to fit, I don't see what wouldn't work about it as long as I swap both the piston and cylinder.

If they are different though, then I could understand it not working.

These parts are cheap enough I might as well give it a test fit as long as no one on the boards knows for sure it won't work. I have the other one on the way anyway so all else fails I will just keep it as a spare.

The Colorado weather isn't being very bike friendly right now so I have some time before I can ride anyway.

Royale

Oct 13, 2009
Colorado
I remember reading somewhere on here that someone on here had a gt5 and was looking for a cylinder that was 68.5mm between the faces instead of 69.5mm because it ran better and he said the ports were better designed. The reason I bought this one off ebay is that it said 68.5 so I assumed it was the correct one for my gt5.

Now that I know it's not a skyhawk cylinder I'm wondering if the 68.5 has any meaning that anyone can back up?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Just assemble it and carefully turn it over by hand to check clearances. It should be easy to tell if it will work or not...