Need help! My back tire is stuck! The chain wont move at all!

GoldenMotor.com

Maxmyth1324

Feb 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
So I just bought my first motor bike, preassembled, saw it running right before I bought it, and peddled it out to the car. I guess while putting it in, or taking it out of the car something muffed up because now the back tire wont spin at all. Front tire moves fine, but the back tire is really jerky. I have no clue why!

I need help! If this is an easy fix let me know because Im about to take it to a bike shop!:-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Max,
Welcome to the forum. Please don't take this as a smart ***ed question, but are you disengaging the clutch? With the clutch engaged, handlebar lever not pulled in, the rear wheel is connected via the clutch to the engine. If you already know this please understand that we often hear questions like this from newcomers who do not have a firm grasp of motorized bicycle mechanics.
If you are pulling in the clutch and still have this problem its possible that during transportation the clutch cable adjustment might have been effected. Get back to us with a reply. We're here to help.
Tom

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
lol - bet $1 that was it... shame he never came back tho, hope he wasn't too embarrassed - easy 'nuff mistake to make ifn you've never had one of these before and didn't build it.

Prolly had the lock pin engaged when it was loaded into the car, popped out durin' the drive *shrug*

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
That would be my guess. First motor assisted bike, new to it, plus he did not build it.
Haven't heard back either. Maybe he figured it out and is out riding it?
Could be the chain is loose and wadded up on the front sprocket.? It don't take much for the chain to jam on the front sprocket and the engine housing.

Fuji Moto

Jan 17, 2010
Canada
They do jam up like crazy, what is this talk about a sprocket that is machined properly that runs allot smoother?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
They do jam up like crazy, what is this talk about a sprocket that is machined properly that runs allot smoother?
Fuji,
Some folks have had luck with slightly grinding the rough edges off the sprocket teeth. Both the engine drive sprocket and the rear wheel sprocket can sometimes benefit from a little smoothing to allow the chain to engage the teeth better. I like to use a side grinder, such as a Makita 4" with a 3M abrasive pad. It will take off those sharp edges without removing too much material and leave a nearly polished surface.
Tom

catamount

Mar 17, 2010
NC
Hey guys,

I'm actually having the exact opposite problem and I was wondering if you could help me out.
No matter whether I have the clutch pressed in or not the the chain still spins. It is my understanding that the wheel should spin with the clutch pressed in and the back wheel should not spin when the clutch is not pressed in. I am completely confused on this one. It actually cranked up twice and ran perfectly when it was running but now the back wheel doesn't lock up like it is supposed to. I have tried tightening the chain, tightening the clutch, I just don't know what to do.

Please let me know what could possibly fix this as I am very eager to get this back on the road since I just got it built and then it messed up on me. It was frustrrating to say the least lol.

Thank you!

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
You may have your clutch arm adjusted too tight. Try loosening it up some until the clutch disengages see if that helps. Or you may need to adjust the clutch itself.

catamount

Mar 17, 2010
NC
I just tried loosening the clutch cable and its still doing the same thing...I even went as far as loosening the clutch cable all the way to see if that would do anything to no avail