My Yamaha Bicycle chopper

GoldenMotor.com

davidstipek

Jan 25, 2013
chiangmai, Thailand
Bike has Yamaha Y80 3 speed power. using 4 free wheels, yamaha Sprockets that bolt up to the 4 hole free wheels I have complete safety..trk

Power from engine goes to left side of bike (where crank used to be) sprocket has free wheel so if engine stalls, rider can just start pedaling.

Left side of bike at opposite location is another freewheel and stacked gears. (This free wheel is not necessary just a safe option if the other fails. One of the gears has chain to rear wheel and of course there is a sprocket here to coast bike and to back-up and adjust parking location. The other center sprocket has chain fed to crank and free wheel gear up front. I am a 6" 1" guy so I need leg room. Seat is lowered 14" so I Lengthened frame 18" and with new location and bearing tube for crank I have same legroom as a 26" bicycle.rmfla

I was using bicycle disc brakes front and rear, but decided to chain the front to a motorcycle unit. Both front and rear wheels have sealed bearing and through bolt axle. (Just like motorcycle) makes dropping a wheel to fix a flat a quick easy endevor!

I chose to use a Honda Phantom Petrol tank for extra fuel and distance, I can cruise at 50 mph use 2 tanks (@ 15 liters each fillup to travel 752 Km's Bangkok to Chiang Mai) I have never been stopped because of no License. Name on Gas Tank in Thai writing says "Thai One On...!" referring to Helmet!

Big law here is for me to wear Helmet as I pay no taxes or vehicle registration fees. If they stop a Motorcyclist not wearing Helmet he gets a bill for 100 Baht (about $3.45 USD) Bill is a ticket. If I pass him not wearing Helmet I can be billed as much as 10,000 Baht (All of which Officer pockets! :) ) go figure at 29.89 baht to $1 USD...

I have 12V battery and all lighting, mirrors, horn as required by law. I also carry a letter from Office of Transportation (in Thai and English) addressing the fact that this is a legal, Motorized Bicycle, further stating that this is a project being reviewed for use to recycle older 70, 80, 90 and 100cc motorcycles for use with 3 wheeled bicycle carts, handi capped bikes, Government Bikes @ Provencial Offices and as long as I am along with any passengers wearing Helmets. I have fullfilled the requirements as requested in Thai Law.

Oh almost forgot this engine is a semi automatic transmission so there is no need for a clutch. I do have had brakes front and rear wheels. All bearing on any of the power sourced axles are sealed motorcycle style. Head tube is still using ballbearing as most motorcycle do also. (front fork is a full suspension Honda triple tree bolted up perfectly with 6" headtube!!
American in Thailandusflg

Any questions feel free to ask!
David.shft.

Attachments

Last edited:

davidstipek

Jan 25, 2013
chiangmai, Thailand
Thanks Bill!

I Like your Email "[email protected]... Maybe I should change mine to "[email protected]" :) since we are both about same age... :)

I had stored this old 1986 Yamaha Belle 80cc when it finally had so much of the parts removed it became unsafe.. Everytime something failed daught did nothing to fix... had mechanic remove! hen it finally would not shut off because switch had been removed..to stop use choke and place front wheel against wall or curb... my wife found out!

I fogged engine and put in plastic wrap and sealed for a rainy day. I was on verge of ordering engine from China (the next day) when I woke up in the middle of the night with someone saying what about me..... I went downstairs to sort things out and get a cup of coffee... wandered out to my work area and saw storeroom door open. Went to close but openned and saw the old Belle 80...started thinking cut the plastic off and rolled her out upto work bench. (tires still had air in them!!) mixed up some petrol /oil in pump oil can and squirted in all areas carb, plug... and then slowly cranked and lubed again 2T tnk still hd oil in it, I had drained petrol tank so I mixed up a couple liters 32:1 mix and poured in tank removed hose from carb... by this time my wife came wandering down to see what I was doing at 0230hrs!!! haha!I reinstalled plug after heating it with lighter. She fired up at 2nd kick! I just saved myself 28 USD for engine, 210 USD shipping and Import Thai taxes of 300%!!!!

I spent 300 baht and installed new piston, rings and cylinder wall. Also new seals and gaskets! She has compression of new engine, half kick she starts right away. I changed lighting and mag charging system to 12V (was 6V) 30 year old bike is reborn! Even Yamaha Thailand got involved with finding me manuals parts when supply houses couldn't. Now they build a retro version here of old bike! Very popular!

I still have the 2nd lady in my life... Belle... haha! And wife is not jealous one bit!

David

Attachments

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
David, this build is Fantastic!

You have talent sir!!!

Can you share pic's of when you started this build and what type of bicycle frame did you use?

C.H.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
HOLY CURREY BATMAN!!! Thats one kick a$$ build! Bet it goes really well. Whats that say on the tank? EDIT: Nevermind re read the post... Nice!

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Very nice build! I love the re-use of the bike engine. Those Yamaha motors will run a LONG time...my first bike was a Yamaha DT-100 Enduro. I beat it for 6 or 7 years and never had the engine apart. Just plugs, point cleanings and oil...

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
That is a very nice bike. I bet I'm not the only one that would love to see some build progression pictures, if there are any.

Sure looks like a bike you can ride for miles and miles and miles.

(started typin' that and was singin' the song in my head and had to force myself to stop at the 3rd "miles")

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Pretty nice bike, and what's even better is they allow you to ride it legally. Are there any other bikes like it riding around there?

davidstipek

Jan 25, 2013
chiangmai, Thailand
Thanks Everyone!
Actually if you go back to my 2nd set of pictures... You will see the Yamaha Y80 Belle. It looks worse then it really was (only 36,200 Km on it). When I desided to use (Try) to motor, 1st because it was Semi Automtic. Meaning I could still use both hand brakes. 2nd because it ws cheap (I already had it! and alot of the parts I would end up using also)

The only things I did to motor to insure reliability after all this work I didn't want to end up with junk! Remember, I am in Thailand and the Baht which it the currency here has been around 31.50 - 29.87 to One USD ($1.00) yes! Blessing!!

I spent 70 Baht new Crankcase seals, 150 Baht New Cylinder, 230 Baht new piston and rings set 15 baht complete gasket set (Complete) 50 Baht Carburator rebuild/gasket kit.

Took me 4 hrs to completely overhaul Engine, including scrubbing down outside of it completely. I changed crankcase oil 650cc, bought a bottle of 2T oil (From Shell Oil!! Yes they are here also..) I cut the Headtube off the Yamaha to use for 2 reasons. First it would fit any fork I chose to use. Further in case I wa going to have issues with Ministery of Transportation it also had Matching Serial number with engine stamped on it!! Just to show in case I needed that the part were indeed from the Belle I had Title for (here they cll it a Green Book)

I also desided to replace the reeds, they were plastic (fiberglass) and bent a little from sitting. The new were stainless. The cage was Aluminum so I polished inside it and throat of crankcase to where piston was. Intake to carb and throat of Carb this took me two days. I also did Exhaust Port opening it as much as I could. By this time I ws wishing it had Electric start...nope! not that lucky, wasn't even available!! I looked!! :)

I also used the body section that included the Engine mounting holes This was going to make hanging it easy, as I was the only one interested in what was happening in my Garage! haha! As long as I wasn't spending alot of money my wife was happy!! and stayed away, I knew if I asked her to help me and push the bolts through the mounts she was going to start asking questions!... haha!

I took the original Yamaha seat and removed cover and foam. Cut out 12" in length and put back together. Used a heat gun to form the shape I wanted (to look like a Sportster 2-up seat) ended a little shorter I actually took athe cut away section and cut it in 1 1/2" strips and melted it over to custom base I hd made. filling voids and thickening where it looked it need it. I added 6 bolts to base to in rear to fasten to frame and 2 in nose to fasten to metal strip that slides under rear of petrol tank. using the two seat spring from the bicycle I fastened them to the last two bolts. Then I took the foam and original cover and mess I thought (My wife thought I had made) I had to a MotorCycle/Bike shop and as I walked it he pointed around the corner and smiled. He knew what I was doing and had been at the house several times to drink a beer (Singha) and help when he could. His shop was a Harley Chopper area. He kept telling me that if it looked good... it was going to ruin his Business! then he'd say nuther beer... and smile!

To get seat finished... cost me 150 Baht! (they wanted 250 USD for the smallest Harley Sportster 2 up seat and it was used, also!) Wow!

I used two Murry Steel Ladies bikes to build my frame, or at least to get the basic look I wanted. the cross bar actually fit perfectly inside the down tube so I took one frame and cut it off at seat post and BB. turned it over and layed it down. The other frame I cut the Headtube off and top tube off at seat post also. Cut off the top fender fork and took out 14" from seat tube. This was going to be the height of frame from original BB.I hd alread found some tubing that fit inside the top tube and had cut it to the length I wanted to stretch the frame to.now laying what I had left of this frame to the right of the first one, with the sections I had cut for length I slide everything together (rubber mallot help here alot as it was also 2130 hrs :). with frames on concrete floor I ws able to keep frame aligned. I needed to bend top tube up to top of seatpost position. Using my feet to push little at a time and then stand on frame to realign it at times. I ended up heating tube at headpost to get it in a nice bend. wasn't worried about crimping headtube as I was going to use the Yamaha's. I use a front fork to position where I wanted BB for pedals and then remove from discarded section of 1st frame used about 10" of seat post attached and spot welded everything in place turning frame over a couple of times to insure straight.

So guys that how the Bike became a Chopper (The Belle had grown up!!) haha!.trk

Basicly tools I used were normal to strip bike and motorcycle. I reused what I had left of harness until I found a complete one (which I just got) I used 4 - 4" cutting wheels in my hand grinder. Propane torch to heat tubing and frozen parts, and small portable welder. I had taken my propane torch head (no tanks!) from America to here. we have gas cylinders for small one burner stoves that are same size and work quite well. I have since smuggled 3-4 more torch heads of different sizes here in my luggage. I don't think they cared as it was just a piece of brass and ws NOT in my carry on... The worst I ever had was on the way to Airport in Seattle I stopped at Pepboys and bought two sizes of spark-plug Sockets. then as I left put them in my coat pocket. When I emptied everything at scanner you would have thought I was planning to dismantle the Aircraft (I didn't even have a ratchet, for Gods sake!) So I openned my suitcase and dropped them in... saying they were being checked... 4 of the guards laughed and he Just turned away... I think he needed them at home!! haha laff

Most of the pictures need to be resized so I can post. I even have a set showing how to add the freewheels to the pinless axle (square headed) in original BB to transfer power from left side of bike to right. No copyright infringment here as it the original BBdance1

Legal.. YES! must have:
Power under 100cc - (Bore and stroke it, theyre not going to cc it!)
lights I have all that a Motorcycle has, even turn
mirror, I have 2
sound device I have 12V horn
I am an Adult (Over age 15)
It has working pedals
Must wear Helmet.. As Name on Tank says... "Thai One On...!"

When all above is used. Bike is legal for street use. No License, personal or for vehicle is needed.

There are a few of the original with tube tanks hung under cross bar and chinese motors. But here in Chiang Mai The Government said it was a first! My wifes uncle was Vice Governor in Lampang Province and he collects old bikes has about 40, restores. This was how it got presented as a project also to enhance recyclability and a way to give a 2nd vehicle to those who could not afford. Everyone has at least One Bicycle and maybe a Motorcycle too. Not always a car. Get the usability??? Dad take Motorcycle to work, Mom takes kids to school on Bike sometimes three on a bike, or even 4 on a motorcycle... Adding a Motor saves moms legs!

To oil chains I have a plastic oil bottle with side cut out and a mix of grease and oil/petrol and small paint brush. with motor in neutral... pedal and tip bike so rear wheel is off ground easy to do all three chains in two minutes!

(I used all 428 M/C chains and sprockets, the 2nd set of sprockets on chainwheel/crank and center location is what gives you the ease of using pedals to overcome any weight. Weight lets bike ride smoothly even for a "Hardtail".)

David

Attachments

Last edited:

davidstipek

Jan 25, 2013
chiangmai, Thailand
If anyone needs I have 2 dual cable black/polished aluminum brake levers
One is three finger
ther is 2 finger (Size Handles)
pair of IS brake calipers for bicycle
pair of brackets for mounting IS calipers on older Bike either for front or rear use
Pair of 160mm disc rotors

Looking for wide polished rim 24" x 4.25 or Wider 36h/size hole not matter as I will use 12g spokes and redrill anyway. Don't need hub or spokes. If you have used tire... great!

Will polish up and use for Display only, if tire well worn I'll get it recapped (since used display only) even if rim is just Aluminum it okay as I will buff it and then get it chromed.

Also looking for Chrome cup for CDI Tack. Size needed is 3 1/8 wide x 2.25-2.50 deep. not worried about mounting. Will set beside Speedometer and can (have already) bracket to fasten the two together or mount side by side...

Tach reads from 0 to 16,000 RPM redlines at 14,500.... the upper half of this gauge will never get used on this bike... But someone stopping to look at would get the Sh_t scared out of them by reading. Also th speedmeter is analog also and reads from 0-180 KPH...
David

davidstipek

Jan 25, 2013
chiangmai, Thailand
Guys

Just a note using 17" M/C rims and mating to a steel bike hub with sealed bearing (or regular ball bearings) and either one side threaded or both sides you can use bike freewheel even multispeed and height with 2.25x17 tire is 21.50 inches and with 2.50x 17 is 21.75 and almost 3" wide. they have wider low sidewall tires too that are wider. Fantastic on wet roads and because of weight difference running lower tire pressure they last forever! front and rear use... You can overcome the weight difference with gear ratios I will get picture of 4 hole sprocket thats available (it threads onto bicycle hub) and lets you use Yamaha 4 bolt sprockets and either 420 chain or 428... even 428HD! Chains last, hold oil, andon a bicycle will never wear out. I used spacer between sealed bearings and motorcycle axle bolt... Unthread oneside and pull out to drop wheel :)

To make seat like Mini 2 up for bicycle take rear steel carrier and cut all mounting legs off it. Then take an old tire for use as gauge and find a fire hydrant and with hammer bend carrier top to same arc as your tire... Still mounts to seat post or what ever bracket you want to use there if already removed. and bend the removed mounting legs to fit arc I had shortened mine by 3 " and rewelded bent end back on. Rear end had raised area that fit around miller Taillight as side and top guard. then my custom seat fit base perfectly!

David

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2013
Mesa, Arizona
How did you get your saddle and the tank to fit? O:

I always wondered how people did that. My only guess from an uncreative mind is slapping it on with a welder

P.S

Never mind, read your other posts :)

Last edited: