my trip to massey

GoldenMotor.com

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Recently i just did a nice long tour ride out to massey on july 20th 2011 was invited out to a church tent meeting by a local pastor out there,i told him i could make it out there for the starting day of the meeting but i couldn't stay too long because of my cat and i had a bike customer to look after. Well any how here it is with the bike which i call big blue which i seriously converted into a touring bike, i added on a front rack and i took my rear bags off the rear rack and put them on the front, then i add my mongoose rear pannier bags on to the rear rack after that, what a difference that made in load carrying capacity. I put my tent and my tarp ,my bed roll ,my sleeping bag, my leather riding coat, tool bag,mini pump,two spare tubes,oh ya my mini pillow as well. I also attached a front basket on to the rear rack to carry my gas can with me as well. I took off from sudbury at 6:00 a.m. in the morning and didn't arrive into massey untill 4:30 p.m. in the afternoon,all in all i averaged out at about 16/17 m.p.h. all the way out there and back again, it only took 2 1/2 liters of gas too get out there and another 2 1/2 liters back. Boy what a ride it was, even with 85 l.b.s of gear which i thought would hinder my handling of the bike ,which in turn didn't, the bike handled perfectly , but i must say that the veiw of the country side was really nice to see.Heres some pics of the bike when i made my first stop into naughton rez and also another stop on the trans canada trail system after leaving naughton,just before waldon bridge ,and I also took a pic of a building at the turn off just before old highway 3 heading out to old spanish highway, you gotta love those old back road tours. xct2 cflg

Attachments

Last edited:

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Heres some more pic's of my trip to massey when i made a pit stop in worthington which is the halfway point to narin center and also a pic of the bike at rest on the side of the road just before the first of many one lane baily bridges found on many back roads out in the country side,in the next set of pic's you'll see what i mean by.
xct2 cflg

Attachments

Last edited:

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Here are some pic's of another rest stop just after narin center after having lunch at a small resturant there. Iended up talking to a gentleman biker who was towing his honda bolavard motorcycle in a trailer. Also if you can see in the pic set,the bridge i took out from narin ,what a scary section of the trip lol,gets real tight trying to get across there.I had to time it just right to get through there even though an 18 wheeler passed by me as i was almost across the bridge.
xct2 cflg

Attachments

Last edited:

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Well any how here's are some more pic's of leevalley road that i took after passing through esponola and a couple of pic's just after i arrived to my destination in sagamok rez.
xct2 cflg

Attachments

Last edited:

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Here's some pic's of the church that i spent two nights in as you can see my bed roll and sleeping bag set up on the floor just below the red cross.
xct2 cflg

Attachments

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Here's some pic's what it looked like under the tent the day the same day that i arrived in sagamok, in some later pic's i'll show you how it looked the next day.
xct2 cflg

Attachments

Last edited:

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Heres when i took a tour out in the menninite farm country as you can see in the first set of pic's and on the other pic's is when i toured around sagamok rez it's self as you can see the road heading in and the corner I took to keep going around the rez which was some 20 miles around the rez from the church and back full circle around again. Oh ya when i went out into the farm country i all so travelled some 20 miles in and back out again.
xct2 cflg

Attachments

Last edited:

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Here's some more pic's of the road side heading in and out of sagamok rez that i took as you can see the sign and the spanish river as well as the cliffs that are along the side.Picture's will show you what it looks like but it's hard to grasp the sheer scale of those cliffs and boulders along the side of the road.

xct2 cflg

Attachments

Last edited:

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Sadly though the very next day i had to go home and so the long journey back home began as you can see in the pic's the road I came down on and heading out on. Had to make a quick chain adjustment on the side of the road and had a visit with the bushes to water the flowers, after all that i hit the road home.Once i hit up by lee valley hall i knew i was at the half way point out to esponola from sagamok and i was well underway.

xct2 cflg

Attachments

Last edited:

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
My next major stop was out in esponola at a timhortons coffee shoppe parked along side a brand new harley touring bike, and my next pit stop just out side of narin center, and also another stop at the worthington general store. The only thing i forgot to get pic's on was jacklynn drive which was another side road i took to get home as well.
xct2 cflg

Attachments

Last edited:

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
There it is the last of the stretch of rode that i took to get back home with just some 10 k.m. to naughton rez and there i took a final rest before making the final leg to the next stop at a timmeys shoppe near my place. well that's all for these pic's on this tour, which was a long one i must say. Hoping to do some more touring this month again maybe out to timmins this time around which is just some 185/7 miles out from sudbury.Not sure yet if i'll do it but maybe,I'll see what the future will hold, till next time.Hope you enjoyed the pic's,tell me what you think.

xct2 cflg

Attachments

Last edited:

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Most excellent ride!

I believe most of us can connect with that long tour and the nomadness of the long bike run.

Great photos and stories.