My Second Build (so far anyway)

GoldenMotor.com

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
This is the start of my second build. I'm pretty close to a test ride, all I have to do is mount the rear sheave and install the tightener. I'm making this one all by myself (with a little help from my dad). I've got a 1 1/2 horse Clinton engine I'm putting on it, and I'm keeping the pedals. Here's the start anyway, more pictures to come (when I get time to work on it haha)

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
No clutch, what I'm gonna do is have the belt loose on the sheave and I have a pulley that will com down and tighten the belt. The tighter the belt the fast I go. I also have a throttle, so I can go fast that way too...

K.M.I.

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
I found a centrifugal clutch, but I have to make a bushing to make it fit my shaft. Tonight I was itching to do something so I mocked it up a bit. I.E. put the forks and wheels on, slapped the seat it, and loosely screwed the back fender on. Sorry for the bad pictures, I had to take them in the dark with a phone... :/

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
I like the gas tank mount wide to the seat!!!!!......well at least thats my opinion......crazy cool looking bike too!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
Thanks man, I started the engine again today, just to blow out the cobwebs. It still starts first pull everytime. I'm taking my clutch down to the lawn mower shop sometime this week to figure out when it engages. I hope that it engages at about 1000 rpm, but if not I'll have to put the clutch on the jack-shaft and gear it down to the motor.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
No clutch, what I'm gonna do is have the belt loose on the sheave and I have a pulley that will com down and tighten the belt. The tighter the belt the fast I go. I also have a throttle, so I can go fast that way too...

K.M.I.
very inventive way to slove the motor fit , didnt know what to think of it at first but looks great , altho I think the loose belt on the sheave may not be the best idea, it could jump off or wear excessively or just slip like crazy . but if it works well I would love to hear about it .
Gary

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
Well, I had a pretty productive day today! I made a mount for my front fender and took my clutch down the local machinist's shop and he bored it out to my engine's shaft size. Then tonight I filed a key way in it. Then I found a mini bike that used to be my uncle's and salvaged some sick parts off of it. I got two mechanical disc brakes and a throttle handle. I also put my new white walls on so I could find out if my belt will clear the tire. If I do say so myself, the tires look awesome! Here's the pictures of the back wheel, the brake, and the clutch. Thanks for all the input guys, it actually means a lot to me.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Not to seem negative in any way here but that wheel sure looks to have some awful small spokes so I hope the engine you plan to use isn't a big one, to much stress on those spokes could become a great big ouch if they are over powered and are inclined to give up the ghost at a high speed......

Just a concerned fellow MB pal here not meaning to down the build in any way.....

Peace, Map

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
Well, I decided to put my clutch on my jack-shaft. I bought a "cultivator bearing" at the store and it was PERFECT for my jack-shaft. I'm running a gear on my engine and a chain to my shaft. Here's the pictures, just tell me what you think!

BoDean_LP

Apr 25, 2012
Jeffersonville, Indiana
I hate to say this, but it looks like you've got it backwards. You have to spin the center of the clutch (the part with the keyway in it) in order to engage it. The sprocket attached to the clutch bell is output only. If you were to hook it up the way you're holding it in the picture, you would only spin the clutch bell. Check it out. It could save you a lot of work.

Here are a couple vids to show you how they work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-SAGjUidZs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2p3tt6pm9Y

So far, your build is looking great. I love the vintage look it's got. That thing's gonna look like it rolled straight out of the 1920's. Good job on the frame mods. It's unusual, and thus unique. I hope you get the drive system figured out. I'll keep checkin' out your progress. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
Yes, you guys are correct, I didn't think it through all the way. All I have to do though is put the clutch on the engine and the gear on the shaft. I get how the clutches work, but I guess my brain was somewhere in left field... Anyway, thanks for reminding me anyway!

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
Thanks Gnu, I really hope it works out well, I might have to change a little of my gear ratios a bit, but if it works out well this way, I'll just leave it. I should have a test run ready to go in the next week or so. All I really need to do at the moment is find a good way to hook up my throttle and straighten my front wheel :/.