My new project

GoldenMotor.com

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I switched from gas to electric.
I may need help or sugestions.

Stuff i now have:
1 26" Scwinn del mar cruiser,1 speed and front side pull brakes(rides ok)

1 18v weed eater battery with 1hr quick charger(works great)(good for lights)

4 12v 20ah sla batteries
3 Silver scooter frames(Rad2Go Leopardshark or Tigershark with seats)
3 8" front wheels with tires
2 8" rear wheels with tires
2 seats with poles
3 handle bars with poles
3 chains,#25 chain?
2 large electric motors(400-600watts)
2 controllers(XYK-2000-24)(1 good? + 1 bad?)
2 twist throttles and 1 on/off toggle switch
2 brake levers and cables
3 drum brakes(mounted on oposite side of chain)
2 rear sprockets(3 bolt mount,55 teeth?)

I can either restore 1 or 2 scooters or use the motor and batteries on the bike,not sure yet,but restoring scooter sounds easier.

Attachments

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Test #1:
Tonight i connected the 2 12v 20ah sla batterys with the electric motor,bypassing and skipping the controller for now. I hooked the wires up just for a few seconds> The motor spun fast and strong, The batteries still work.

I need advice:
Should i try to use the controller or can i just use a on/off switch or house light dimmer?
And i need a battery charger,can i use something that i might have around the house?
I only have a weed eater 1hr 18vdc 1.8amp ni-cad charger and i have some voltage converter plugs that are used for cordless phones and stuff and i have a cell phone charger.

Next test: After i get some advice,
Speed and distance test for scooter to see how long the batteries will run the motor.
I might try the 18v battery first as i have a charger for that battery, then when i find a way to charge the other batteries, i can test them.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
try the controler you have nothing to lose. You can charge each battery seperately with an auto charger set at 2 amps or so. try not to over charge it. You want it to read over 13.25 volts for sure when it is fully charged. Sometimes it will go a few tenths higher. be sure not to cross the battery wires the controller will burn up if you do. I have two junk controllers here because of that.

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Im still working out what the diffrent colored wires go to(controller is XYK-2000-24 but they come in diffrent models),ive been looking for a diagram that matches my controller.

I found and hooked up a harness but have some wires left over to connect:
From controller: large female Yellow/large female Red/ large Green/large female Black
From Motor: large black/large red
From harness:small male yellow/small male orange/small male green
From fuse:large male red/large female red/small male red/small female orange
From battery:large green + small female green/large red

I don't have a auto charger or battery meter, is it possible to use the 18v 1.8amp battery charger or no. I may still need a battery meter.

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Test 2: I connected the 18v 1.5ah battery directly to the motor,bypassing the controller,and the motor spun fast. The ah's are low on this battery but i have a 1hr charger for it,but i doubt it will run the scooter very far. This is the same battery i used to power my lights on the gas bike and it had a lot of power for lights.

Next test: ride scooter in parking lot using 18v battery,fuse,and on/off switch and see how long it lasts.

I might have a scooter charger,more motors,and more batterys coming soon.

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I tried to take the scooter for a ride using the 18v battery. It went a few mph for a few seconds,much less than i thought. It would have lasted longer and went faster if i had a smaller motor, but this motor is like 600watts or so.

Next i hooked up my 24v 20ah battery pack and hardwired it to the motor threw a house fan switch,and boom the house fan switch is toast. I needed a better on/off switch,I'll have to wait til i get the scooter charger and hook up the controller and throttle.

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Next i hooked up my 24v 20ah battery pack and hardwired it to the motor threw a house fan switch,and boom the house fan switch is toast. I needed a better on/off switch,I'll have to wait til i get the scooter charger and hook up the controller and throttle.
You can't use a 'dimmer' switch or any house type switch you need a electronic speed controller.
Obviously your using a brushed motor you can buy cheap speed controllers from TNC Scooter. There are always bargains on Endless Sphere for sale section too.

KiM

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'm not a very experienced with electrics, in fact I tend to look at wiring as a hopeless mess of spaghetti I'd rather not deal with... but the potential efficiency & simplicity of such has lured me in from time to time lol

As far as I understand it, "dimmer" switches are rheostats & those work by increasing resistance to drop voltage - so even if your house fan switch didn't burn out, it'd waste gobs of power through heat, with no power consumption difference than if you were at WOT all the time regardless of speed or attempts to conserve battery reserve... the holy grail of electric vehicles?

Please correct me if I've got this wrong... :)

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
While dimmer switches have a similar principle in their function to a speed controller in varing voltage they are terribly inefficient at it, with a dc speed controller the speed of the motor is directly proportional to the supply voltage. So, if you have a 36v system and the power is reduced to 18v you obviously get half speed motor rotation. The way the speed controllers do this is using Mofsets (FETS) by switching them on/off extremely quickly. When the Fets are closed the motor sees 18v when its open it sees 0v If the fets are open the equal duration they are closed you would get 18v or half speed.... Thus, as you increase the time the voltage stays on in relation to the time its off the speed of the motor increases speed.

Hope this makes it lil clearer for you :)

KiM

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Im going to use the 2 12v 20ah batteries, and i already have a controller,not sure if it works cause i have a few wires to hook up.
Im waiting on a charger to charge the batteries,either a 12v or 24v charger, doesnt matter to me,but all i have right now is a 18v charger.

If the controller doesnt work,im going to go with just a simple heavy duty on/off switch.
And i wasnt using the house fan switch as a dimmer,just a on/off switch to try out the batteries and motor,but didnt get a chance cause the switch blew,im better off cause if it did work,id have dead batteries laying around waiting for a charger.

If anyone has a spare charger 12v or 24v laying around there not using and want to donate it to me,feel free to pm me,tho i don't have any money cause im waiting for a unemployment extension.

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I just got some more stuff, 1 36volt go-cart charger,2 24volt scooter chargers,Another large 400-600watt scooter electric motor,2 more 12v 20ah sla batteries,another scooter harness,another scooter chain,another controller"but this one may be fried",its ok i have one already.

Now i have everything i need to do a project.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Since i now have a charger,
Im trying to connect the rest of the wires for the batteries and controller.
Then i will check to see if everything works.

I need help: I need a diagram or something if anyone can find one or help.

Controller is: XYK-2000-24
Its from a rad2go leopard or tigershark scooter with seat
24v 400-600 watt motor

I need all the help i can get.

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I never figured out all of the wires yet. Maybe i'll try a simple on/off switch and bypass the controller for now. Now i have to find a free on/off switch that can handle the amps, I have a foot pedal off a sewing machine,i wonder if that will work...

jdcburg

Jul 9, 2009
massachusetts
CF - The wiring instructions for that controller are at HALL EFFECT 24 VOLT DC SYSTEM Build. Go to the bottom of the page and it shows you what to do. I have a similar controller and have to put a bent paperclip into the socket labeled 'lock' for it to run. You can also connect that part to a switch. The rest of the connections are pretty clear I think.

I would not recommend a sewing machine pedal or simple on-off switch. A 600W (rated) brushed motor at 24V will probably draw at least 40 amps under load. If the switch doesn't just poof it will weld the contacts and then you'll have to start pulling off wires in a hurry to stop. You could get a 24V relay and a momentary switch (like a doorbell - goes off when you release pressure) if you want to go that route. The relay should be rated for at least 40A. The momentary switch can then be a lightweight one, as the relay takes most of the current. I'm not recommending it as they are designed for 12V but you could try an automotive starter relay. You'll still have to pedal to get started and it's hard on the system to go from no power to full power. I snapped a chain once when I accidentally hit the button while stopped - jd

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
2 wires (red and black -> don't know where to connect) coming from motor.

9 wires (black/brown/red/white/green -> these go to harness to handle bars)(black/red/yellow/green -> don't know where these go) from controller.

2 wires from charger port -> plugs to harness to handlebars.

4 wires from fuse (2 large red,small orange and red -> dont know where they go)

3 wires from battery (1 red+ and green- has a tail of 2)

3 small wires (green,orange and yellow) from the harness come back from the handle bars

The sewing machine foot pedals contacts are insulated,so they wont fuse together,but some wires might.
I have no peddals,its a scooter.

Last edited:

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Your all set thanks to jdcburg, be a snap connecting everything with the instructions.

Brsuhed motors are simple, two motor wires and 3 throttle wires
are the essentials everything else is 'non essential' i.e motor will run with or without them...Of course if you have a switching wire this would need to be
hardwired or switch wired in to turn system on/off...light wires/brakes/etc
aren't needed to make the motor tick over...

Best of luck

KiM

p.s the sewing machine pedal is bad idea, you need a hall effect or potentiometer throttle, if you dont have one buy one they like 10 bucks new.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I have a throttle and on/off switch that suposed to work with the controller.

Ok,im going to give the controller a try first.
I hooked up and match whatever wires i could.
most wires had connectors to just plug together.

I had 2 wires from the fuse left over(no where to hook them?)i just taped them off.

Test: hook up battery and see if anything is hooked up correctly.
I will post results in a few minutes...