My motorized bicycle loves steep hills

GoldenMotor.com

fritznbud

Aug 13, 2010
Westminster, SC
Hey there Norm, This is a bit different type of question, my bike runs good but runs so much smoother when i take a hill. I'm not sure why it would do that and i aint complaining. I've run a champion CJ8 and a J17LM which niether plug is for my 66cc motor, and it runs just as good with the proper B6HS NGK as it does with the two champions. Any ideas as to why it would do that? Thanks Norm.

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
Re: My MB loves steep hills

Mine does the same thing kinda. Chugs right up any hill Ive tried. The engine sound and throttle response is totally different from flat road riding. Its like an animal ! ROAR !

I think a combination of things make this happen. RPMs , wheel speed , load , sprocket size.

Smaller rear sprocket to even it out ? I read that somewhere.

Fritz you running the 44 tooth rear kit sprocket ?

:)

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

Sounds like you guys are running too rich and when you go up a hill, it breaks into the two stroke cycle like it is supposed to run in all the time. If your plug is very black and oily, your too rich. A properly tuned two stroke of this type should break back and forth between a 2 and a 4 stroke at cruise, but go into a full 2 stroke sound when you open the throttle, or load the engine.

fritznbud

Aug 13, 2010
Westminster, SC

4RD, 44 tooth on it. Joe! Ashtabula brings back memories, i'm from Eastlake but moved south, and you hit it on the head, too rich for sure. I've been using Redline synthetic oil mixing 24 to 1. And, just like you said, it breaks into the 2 stroke sound and smoothness i been lookin' for when it's put under a load. Thanks

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now

Now when I say rich, I mean rich in the fuel to air mixture. If you lean out your gas to oil mix, (less oil) it will make the gas to air mix richer....Lean that carb out just a bit- one notch on the slide needle should do it. (move the clip up) See where you are at from there.

Eastlake- Home of H&H Cycles, no longer a Honda dealer, but now a mower shop. :(

Last edited:

fritznbud

Aug 13, 2010
Westminster, SC

Thanks Joe, i'll try it out, and H&H Honda back in my day, i'd walk 2 miles down Vine st. to go in and gaze at the mini trails, the 50's and my dream, the super 90. I'm surprised i wasn't banned from the place, i'd go 2 or 3 times a week. Never got one either, but i did buy a CL100 in '73 in Bedford, Ohio. My first new ride.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now

To de-rail this thread completely....I used to LOVE it when my parents would have to go to JC Penney's at the Mentor Mall (Great Lakes Mall) because then they still had the automotive center, and they sold BENELLI'S in there. I remember when they brought in the beautiful 6 cylinder model and I almost had a fit when it was time to leave.

MY dad got his first new bike, a 72 Honda CL 350 at H&H and we used to go in there all the time.

The last time I was in there was 1990, and the GB 500 Honda was on display....I have wanted one ever since!

fritznbud

Aug 13, 2010
Westminster, SC

Joe, runnin' better today and my clip was on the lowest setting. After some riding, i start hearing a cow bell sound though, coming from the motor, a unsteady noise but she still stays running good. And i forgot all about the Benelli gawking i used to do too at the GLM!! Too funny. What a great place to grow up, in Ohio.