My first power assit project

GoldenMotor.com

dschopper

May 19, 2010
Ohio
Well we did it! I've been reading this forum for a short time as I was considering building a motorized bicycle. Shortly after reading we ordered an 80cc motor kit.

Just finished my initial test fit yesterday. Took er out for two short 10 min drives and out today for a 20 min drive with varying speeds to try and break this engine in right. Still don't have the tune quite the tune quite right at least it doesn't sound that way. But then again with 16:1 oil mix maybe it is closer than I think. This bike will get treated to some custom paint and still a shift kit to go yet. Cash says the shift will wait a bit though. New cassette with 34 low is on the way, hopefully that will help as riding with my wife this thing won't go slow enough without complaining. Of course we won't run that low very often :)

I wasn't sure how well I'd like this... but .trk I"m hooked big time! This is awesome .xx.

Later

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy the hobby. I would make one suggestion and that would be to get away from the 16:1 oil mix and move to at least 24:1. The 16:1 is a bit oil rich for most of these engines and can cause poor running and premature spark plug fowling. Use a good grade of two stoke oil and after two or three gallons running, change to a 32:1 mix. Keep an eye on spark plug color and shoot for a chocolate brown color. Also watch the chain tensioner bracket. Many have had the misfortune of it coming loose and rotating into the rear spokes. Much has been written here about the tensioner issue. Read before you ride. Congratulations and let us know if you have any problems or further questions.
Tom

Last edited:

dschopper

May 19, 2010
Ohio
move to at least 24:1. The 16:1 is a bit oil rich
Thanks for that 2door. I concur 16:1 makes it nearly impossible to get the correct mix, ok for me it has proven impossilbe. The instructions told me to run 2 tanks that way. I will make a change to 24 and see how we do.

I'm running Troybilt synthetic oil right now but plan to change to Amsoil very soon. Any thoughts...

such a relaxing sport how indeed does one get the time to do anything else? My sons and I are already planning our next 'builds'. In fact we have one customer already without even trying. I can't belive how many people watch intently as I drive by. :)

Michael