my first motorized bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Here's my bike I recently bought. Finally got some decent pics of it. I bought the bike with the motor already installed (an early Dax 70cc) for $140. Then I had to spend $30 to replace the magneto and cdi after riding it for 20 min, lol. But still, $170 for the whole setup isn't too shabby.

You might notice in the first pic that the frame is bent near the derailer. I didn't notice when I bought the bike. But it rides straight and smooth. The only effect is I get some (bike) chain slippage when I'm pushing hard on the pedals. Eventually I would like to find a new frame, but hopefully something of a similar size. it's a small bike and I'm a big guy (6'2" or so) but it's comfy.

I have a different neck I'd like to put on the bike to raise the bars a bit, and bring them a bit closer to me. I really want some bent handle bars. My wife has some that I'd like to steal, but I think she'd kick my butt for that.

Anyway, this is an early Schwinn Moab. Not sure of the year, but it's nothing like the current Moab.

Attachments

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Re: my first mb

How about bending the frame back a little? I don't wanna know how they bent it in the first place.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Re: my first mb

I've thought about trying to bend it back a bit. The only way I can think of to do it though is to take everything off the bike and flip it over and whack on it. Then I'm just afraid that if I do that, it'll no longer ride straight.

Oh, and yesterday when I was getting it running again, I tried the old tilt-on-the-kickstand-and-push-the-pedals-to-start trick...snapped my kickstand in half, lol. Luckily I've gotten the kickstarting down now, and I do it just by lifting up the back by the seat. I need to get a new kickstand soon. I hate having to lean it on things.

Last edited: