my first getting hit by a car

GoldenMotor.com

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
well today was the day got hit at a intersection was crossing the street at a cross walk and all of a sudden heard tire screaching ,looked over and boom was to late,got hit,i raised my leg up by instinct and that saved my leg.and suprising only thing got hurt on my bike.was broke my pedal and stripped me apes.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Glad you were not hurt, I have been hit once by a side view mirror and it really hurt. Knocked the wind out of me and I almost dumped my bike right in front of traffic. Stupid driver just took off.

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
this lady i think tryed to leave but i was pounding on the hood of her car and i told her out of a fit of rage,i said,you try to leave lady ill throw this bike thru your windshield,and when the cops got there she tryed to say i rode my bike into the street,and told the cop i threatened to throw my bike thru her windshield,i spoke up and said when she tryed to leave, i told her that.the cop sited her for running a red light and gave me her insurance info,so i think im getting a new crankset and new apes out of the deal

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
Riding in the crosswalk is more dangerous than riding in a proper lane position. Pedestrians get hit and killed up to 10 times more often than people riding bicycles. This is a per capita figure. 89% of accidents happen at intersections. Because we travel slower the only way we can avoid some accidents is to see the idiot before they see us and make them aware of are presence.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Integrity and personal responsibility seem to be absent nowadays. She was clearly at fault and tried to blame you for the accident.

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
Never trust drivers, And if you EVER drive on the sidewalk: NEVER EVER CROSS AN INTERSECTION INFRONT OF A CAR untill your DAMN sure they are looking right at you. If the car is turning right be DOUBLE careful. Cars turning right ONLY look left! If your going the 'wrong way' on the sidewalk and cross infront of them, you may find yourself getting cut off and bounceing off thier rear quarter panel.. Like I did.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Riding in the crosswalk is more dangerous than riding in a proper lane position.
I agree. I just stay on the road for the most part but there are times when I use the crosswalk and sidewalk for a bit.

If I am turning in just past the light I'll use the crosswalk.
Another time is in rush hour traffic and I am a few cars from the front of the line.
I'll take the sidewalk to the crosswalk, cross, then ride up to next street access to re-enter the road.
By then, all the traffic has passed and I'm set until I catch them again ;-}

the willi

Apr 21, 2009
west covina,ca
ALL ACCIDENTS on streets happen at lights, and all highway and freeway accidents happen at on and offs most of them. thats where 95 percent happen! Thats good you where not hurt!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yes, glad there was a happy ending to this episode....whew! I can honestly say that about 99.65749% of the time, it's the person driving the car who's at fault when we get hit on our bikes. I've been hit once and had a car door opened on me once....neither were very pretty. Both were the drivers fault and one got me a ride in an ambulance.

On another note, as a matter of fact, I got into an accident last night and guess what? It was my fault! I'm so PO'd at myself....what a dorkknob! I actually rear-ended a car after just pulling out of a parking lot. Hit em at approx 15-20mph and ended up on the trunk. Wasn't too bad, just bent my forks beyond repair, then ran outta gas and had to pedal uphill and broke half of the beers I had just bought before I finally got home. What a nightmare!

Gee I wish this was just a bad dream, but when I woke up this morning, I was quite sore and my forks are toast. Yes, this is a true story and yes, I've already replaced the forks.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
that story reminds me of my youth my sister opened the passenger door on a hill a biker hit it flew over the door and did a cool rolling manuver to avoid injury he wasnt going very fast but he was pissed and so was i i had a nice dent in my car door luckily for both of us the bike was ok cause i wasnt about to pay for it he probly would have been more angry if it was me but my sis pulled the oh my im so sorry pretty well so i got lucky and besides i would have just cruised out of there if he wanted insurance or called the cops cause that just aint my style

anyway i have avoided at least five collisions this summer while riding on side walk all drivers fault

and while driving in the street i havent had any close calls even at night cause there aint no traffic

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
This is only somewhat related but strange enough for mention.

I caught this on the early local news this morning.
Apparently a guy in an electric wheelchair was towing another guy in a non-motorized wheelchair at midnight down the road and has hit by a motorcyclist.

The two wheelchair guys had minor injuries, but the motorcyclist was killed. He wasn't wearing a helmet.

Near as I can tell the wheelchairs had no lights, and were in the road because they were way out at Indian School Rd. (a major road) and 75th Ave in Phoenix and it is undeveloped land there. No sidewalk, streetlights, nothing.

That begs the question...
What the heck were these two wheelchair guys doing on the road in the middle of nowhere at midnight?

Very sad.

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
There are traffic area's that are almost impossible to be totally safe. When it's really congested even walking can be a problem. Once you become a pedestrian or cyclist you have entered another dimension, a lot of drivers see you as a nuisance. The real aggressive drivers or cell phone drivers are the worst. If you have the attitude that you have as much right as they do, you are correct but this type of thinking can get you hurt.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
WildAlaskan: If you drive away from the scene of an accident, Im pertty sure thats a SERIOUS crime.
yes it is but like i said in my youthfull days

but yeah if i had insurance i might have stayed instead i was driving a 100 dollar crack car with no registration or insurance

i knew that any police confrontations would mean walking home or jail so if the guy wasnt hurt what would you have done
sure if he was seriously injuered i would have stayed to make sure he was ok but that was not the case

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
well today was the day got hit at a intersection was crossing the street at a cross walk and all of a sudden heard tire screaching ,looked over and boom was to late,got hit,i raised my leg up by instinct and that saved my leg.and suprising only thing got hurt on my bike.was broke my pedal and stripped me apes.
I'm really glad you weren't hurt. (Not just saying that.) Some of us know a little bit about how bad it could be. I save my own story now for those who ask. There's some good advice back there, and all through the forum. Some of it can keep you a little safer. When I'm well mended enough, I will ride again. I would say "Don't let that kind of thing discourage you." but if the drivers where you live are just too scary, I would never think less of you if you chose not to ride anymore.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Here in N. TX some people (esp teens) navigate the ditches on ATVs and dirt bikes, to frequent each others houses.

I've ridden bicycles the longest time here, and most car drivers are of this attitude: If you can't go as fast as I want, I will run you off the road. Many people would rather rear end a dump truck than give up their "right" to go the speed limit.

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
happycheapskate: pertty much. My fav is when people try and pass me in the oncomming lane.. Right into the front/back of a large bus... Because thier pos car hardly has any more HP then my chinamotor. I'll conceed that I get the **** outta thier way, but only because they would run me over and kill me if It came down to me or the bus, Because of thier own stupid actions trying to save 2 seconds untill its SAFE TO PASS.

PS: You allways remember your first time. 'Please be gentle.' .duh.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
things like this are the reason i plan to invest in a full face helmet, sure its an extra $30-$40 compared to the normal bicycle helmets but it's well worth it imo. been hit by 2 cars on my normal bikes so far, as well as one while running from an angry dog ( last one was my fault i suppose) none of them were serious injuries, but they didn't feel good either.

anyways glad you weren't too banged up, try to pay a bit more attention to the bad drivers, theirs tons of em. and i agree with someone else's post pedestrians and such are often considered as a nuisance.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
1:15-end YouTube - Dodge Viper Crash

happycheapskate: pertty much. My fav is when people try and pass me in the oncomming lane.. Right into the front/back of a large bus... Because thier pos car hardly has any more HP then my chinamotor. I'll conceed that I get the **** outta thier way, but only because they would run me over and kill me if It came down to me or the bus, Because of thier own stupid actions trying to save 2 seconds untill its SAFE TO PASS.

PS: You allways remember your first time. 'Please be gentle.' .duh.