My build.

GoldenMotor.com

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
So I've been working on this bike for awhile and I'm nearly done with it! It's a 1 1/2 horse Clinton engine on some old 50's bike. The paint job isn't the best because it fell over and messed it up a bit. I still have to connect up the throttle and fix my centrifugal clutch, but then it'll be ready to ride!

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I actually haven't ridden it yet.. My clutch doesn't engage soon enough so I'm gonna have to get some lighter springs.
Isnt that because your gearing is wrong? It looks like you dont have enough reduction. Im no expert but im fairly certain you need different gearing at the jackshaft. I think you need a bigger primary jackshaft sprocket and a smaller jackshaft secondary pulley. That would give you more reduction and your clutch would work, hope that helps.

By the way i digging your bike and love the fuel tank and especially the "Kestrel" end covers. NICE WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
Well, no, it's because the clutch isn't engageing, it engages at about 2800-3000 RPM and my engine only turns at 3200. So I'm getting some lighter springs so I wont have to rap it up almost all the way before the clutch engages. And I take what I said back, I have ridden it, and that's how I figured out I need lighter springs. Thanks, my dad and I made the end caps for the gas tank. The luggage rack/ fuel tank is my favorite part of the bike.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Wont you still need to change the gearing? It appears your primary chain drive has 2 sprockets with the same number of teeth, is that right? If so your only reduction is from your secondary belt drive and im not sure that will be enough, it will be geared too high wont it?????????

I learned a similar lesson with my first real build (not chinagirl), i had the same size pulleys on my primary drive because i thought it looked cool but it made my bike unridable, and i have a larger sheave then you (geared lower).....then i put a smaller front pulley on the primary and suddenly my bike was a joy to ride

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
Well, I changed the springs in my clutch and fixed (or so I thought) my throttle. I went to start the bike and the engine wasn't starting and when I did get it started, it wouldn't run right. I messed with the carb a little and got it to run. But, as events showed, my springs are now TOO light. At an idle speed the bike wants to go and the friction of the belt kills the engine. And on top of that my cable throttle broke (again). Have I mention that I absolutely DESPISE cables? I want to look into another course of action for my throttle, but my dad doesn't want me to. So here I am, I'm gonna have to find different springs again.

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
I ended up having to get a new clutch because the springs for my Series 300 Comet are not available anymore... I did find a Hillard clutch that might work much better. I had to get some replacement springs for that too so that it engages at 1100-1200 instead of 2300. When those come in the mail I'll update this thread some more.