Multi speed or single?

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Personally, I'd choose a multi-gear for the better brakes and ease of installing the ragjoint or sprocket adapter.
Mostly for better brakes.

bikebro

Feb 24, 2014
Ms
the only thing i did not like about the 7sp i have is that the shifter takes up space on my handlebar :) and yes, the adapter worked out great!

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Swap to a thumb operated lever shifter.
They are small and easy to find a good spot for.
Besides, you don't need to shift much anyway with a motor.
They are dirt cheap too if you want to buy new.

Last edited:

phatcruiser

Sep 23, 2013
San Diego
Single speed with a drum brake laced into the from wheel. The 90mm drum brake by Sturmey Archer is nice. I geared my bike down so that when I run out of gas I can pedal anywhere with ease. You just go real slow.

With a motor, one speed is all you really need. Multi speed bikes are great but the complexity of the drive train is increased and there is more maintenance. The coaster brake on my bike is used as needed. Most of the braking occurs with the front drum brake. Coaster only is a risky proposition because they are prone to fading when used continuously.

I ride and live in a hilly area and i frequently use my pedals in conjunction with the friction drive set up I run. When the hills are so steep that peddling is required to get up the hills having braking options coming down them is crucial.

Whatever you do build a bike that meets your needs and requirements. After all you will be riding it and if it ticks all the right boxes you will ride it more.

bikebro

Feb 24, 2014
Ms
yeah i guess you r doin some peddling :) HEy on those friction drives, when you pick up a piece of wire or glass, doesn't the roller just mash it into the tire and tube? i may want a rig like yours but i can't bide a flat.

phatcruiser

Sep 23, 2013
San Diego
On the rear I have a Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tire that has excellent puncture resistance. The front tire was the same but the side wall blew, right when I came to a stop. Timed that one well. The sidewall was cut by something. there is a 2 inch abrasion that didn't go all the way thru the sidewall. The owner of the LBS thinks my old caliper brake may have cut it if it wasn't lined up correctly. Who knows? The front tire is a Continental (which is puncture resistant) that was half the price of the rear and so far no flats.

You can also get heavy duty tubes that are about 4 times the thickness of a regular tube.

I am more worried about running out of fuel.

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
Being sort of a retro grouch I'm of the opinion that either single speed in the form of a BMX freewheel with V-brakes front and rear, or a rear derailleur with a 5 speed freewheel cog, (not free hub..) with V-brakes would be OK. Also a non coasterbrake epicyclic geared hub like a SunRace/Sturmey-Sachs-Shimano 3 or 5 speed would be plenty of gearing. Keeping the weight down is one of the challenges of a motorized bicycle, the engines can often add almost 40% of the entire bike's wet weight, especially with the bigger 4-strokes.

bikebro

Feb 24, 2014
Ms
Thanks Citi; i agree and that's why i ended up getting a shimano 7sp. my next build i'll look for a single sp with a freewheel. i don't need the extra controls taking up space on my handlebar plus i don't plan on peddling anyway :)

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Thanks Citi; i agree and that's why i ended up getting a shimano 7sp. my next build i'll look for a single sp with a freewheel. i don't need the extra controls taking up space on my handlebar plus i don't plan on peddling anyway :)
I rarely pedal my motorized bikes, but...... I would not build a bike with the intention of never having to pedal it.

For one, if it can't be pedaled, it's not a bicycle. And two, when you run out of gas on the bike (which eventually you prolly will), you'll say to yourself......."what was I thinking"?

laff

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I'll never motorize a single-speed bike again. My current ride was my 3rd (and 4th) build and it was a single-speed chinagirl at first. Motor or not, there comes a time when the Chevrolegs need to be put to work on a bicycle. These little engines really get you moving when you have pedal torque behind em, too! My first two builds were high-geared Megarange-equipped multispeed bikes with single-speed 34T chinagirls and they were quite versatile from 15-40MPH, thanks to pedal power.

I now have a 5-speed shifter setup that is geared so that it features identical powerbands between engine and pedals, which results in amazing acceleration and fuel efficiency while pedaling. Cruise at engine torque peak with easy pedaling or storm at engine horsepower peak with big leg power. It will cruise at any speed from 5 to 35 with ease :D

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
For me, the biggest reason not to build a single speed bike is the terrible coaster hubs and lack of brakes.
Even the cheap garbage 15-18 speed bikes have better hubs than most any single speed built after the 70's, plus having brakes on BOTH wheels matters a lot in a motorized build.

bikebro

Feb 24, 2014
Ms
how do you feel about those hub brakes? arent they stronger than coaster? i may just 'brake' down and buy a wheel with a disc brake.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I have a disc on the front of My Pig. Don't even use it. I use the Vbrakes. They last longer, work just as well, and are cheap to replace.
My disc ate pads like a cannibal eats virgins and was prone to overheating, squealing like a neutered pig and warping. After the pads wore out, I just disconnected it.
As far as drums, while they look very cool, they don't give the power of a properly set up Vbrake and are FAR more expensive. Harder to service usually as well. Shoes can be VERY hard to find when they wear out.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
For me, the biggest reason not to build a single speed bike is the terrible coaster hubs and lack of brakes.
Even the cheap garbage 15-18 speed bikes have better hubs than most any single speed built after the 70's, plus having brakes on BOTH wheels matters a lot in a motorized build.
Here is an exception for a single speed build and it has no coaster brake and really doesn't even need a rear brake as the engine does the braking when you let off the throttle.

I do run a front hydraulic disc brake as front braking is a must on this bike that exceeds 65+ mph. And I have raced this bike before with no rear brake at all and was just fine...

I would never install or rely on a coaster brake on a motorized bicycle......period! I wouldn't be here today if I did. ;)