Muffler broke in half while riding on flat road

GoldenMotor.com

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
My new muffler is supposed to be here tomorrow, what is the best way to clamp it down? A few people mentioned plumbers tape? Where do I get that? Home Depot? And how do I use it to strap it down. Also, I will most likely need to bend my muffler again to get it to fit, last time I heated it right on the weld point, is that bad?

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
Same thing happened to me, I just left the stupid thing off, really loud but people at least take notice of me. :D LOL Gives me good power and is great while I save up for a SBP Pipe.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Go to Lowes or Home Depot, go to the plumbing section, and it is sold in a roll about 4 inches in diameter and 1 inch wide. It is grey in color. Ask an associate for help if you cannot locate it. (Good luck finding one). :/
You will need two 1/4" bolts about 1 inch long, four 1/4 washers, and two nylock nuts to attach it. On each bolt assembly place one washer under the head of the bolt and one under the nut, metal strap sandwiched in between. The washers are necessary because the strap is soft metal and the washers prevent tear through over time due to vibration.
You wrap it once around the muffler and select the holes that will allow the bolt assembly to squeeze it tight.
Next, take the loose end and wrap it around the bicycle frame, routing the metal strap in a straight line, no bends, and select the bolt holes that will allow the bolt assembly to squeeze it tight.

Edit:
Here in this thread of a different subject, http://motorbicycling.com/f4/i-think-im-missing-piece-my-30698.html the OP has used a much stronger metal strap still sold at home improvement stores, but used as reinforcement for roof trusses, wall studs, ect. It will hold up much better than the plumber's tape but you will need to drill your own holes and it will not be as easy to bend around the muffler can and bicycle frame.

As a last thought, there are pre-made hanger straps sold in home improvement stores that are pre-bent for supporting water and sewage pipes.
They look like an outline of a lollipop.
They usually are held together with a single sheet metal screw though and that screw needs to be replaced with a nut and bolt. Also you would need 2, one for the muffler and one for the frame, bolted together in the middle. You would have to search for the best fitting ones as they come in different sizes.

Last edited:

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Thanks GearNut that was very helpful. As soon as it comes in today I will get it fitted and get some of the plumbers tape.
Dan, I couldnt do it without heating, it just kept moving in the clamp. I posted another topic where members said that it would be a good idea to heat it. I guess I just heated it at the wrong place. I can post pics, but of what exactly? The clearance issue?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Heat is your best friend when bending metal. I was thinking it might save you a step. Also is safer to bend with heat, if it can't be held securely in a vise.

(or don't have a big enough truck, lol)

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
the one on the right looks like the back clamp for your chainguard.

My camera recently died, and I can't find the chord for my phone, so I can't post a pic of my muffler mount. Someone's gotta have a pic handy, eh?

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Honestly, just get creative. Despite these being "box kit motors", they are great if you don't treat them that way. Think outside the kit!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Honestly, just get creative. Despite these being "box kit motors", they are great if you don't treat them that way. Think outside the kit!
That is the best advice ever DTGoat! Really. I mean for all of our crazy.

As we share ideas and work arounds, it always amazes me how we as a group some times follow in line. If we were in the "box", we would all be on easy to buy parts for scooters or such.

But NO! We choose a different path. .... and take perfectly good bicycles and put engines on them.

My mantra; (of the last 12 seconds) "A scrap pile is a terrible thing to waste"

Build some thing cool!

.flg.

Last edited:

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Hey guys, so today my new muffler came in. And I gotta tell you, after installing it, it still doesnt fit right and my pedal hits it just a little, AND I found the original clmap for the muffler, but it also doesnt fit so I will have to bend it I guess, BUT it is so much quieter now. It must be sealed better. Im using the original cardboard ish gasket, instead of the flat aluminum one. Here are some pics to show what I mean.

So where exactly do I heat it to bend it to make it all fit? The pipe before the muffler?

Attachments

Last edited:

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Right, im going to make sure the cables aren't clamped down, im just showing the small clearance issue im having with the pedal. I can still push them through, but I would still just like to bend it so the pedals don't hit it and the original clamp fits

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Looks real close. Just a thought but I have filed or ground the upper edge of the crank.

Could also just drill a hole in your clamp so it will fit your down tube.

Just thoughts and not suggestions. There is always a way sorta thing.

This really is some of the best parts of our crazy. Problem solving and learning. A year or 2 from now you will be telling folks how you solved some problem or how you did a work around.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I don't even know how this happened can anybody please shed some light?
This really is some of the best parts of our crazy (sport ?). Problem solving and learning. A year or 2 from now you will be telling folks how you solved some problem or how you did a work around.
Yeah, after you have real experience, instead of, Gee my muffler fell off, how'd that happed? You'll be more like,

I was riding along minding my own business when all of a sudden my X*$% d$%^$ muffler fell off again, and I ran over it at 30 mph. It kicked my back wheel three feet high in the air, and of course my butt, and feet both came off the seat, and peddles. I was hoping everything would land back where it's supposed to, but hey, one out of three is better than nothing. Now my voice is a little higher, and one of my spokes is broken, and my rear wheel is shaped like a pretzel. I don't even know how this happened can anybody please shed some light lol.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL BN, if we are part of a sport I am gonna write a grant application and sign us up for application for the Olympics!

Think about that group photo! lol, snicker snork. (it won't be pretty)

In our case, the very special Olympics.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
LOL BN, if we are part of a sport I am gonna write a grant application and sign us up for application for the Olympics!

Think about that group photo! lol, snicker snork. (it won't be pretty)

In our case, the very special Olympics.
We can all ride to the stadium together in the short bus lol.