Motorized Bicycle for rugged trail riding

GoldenMotor.com

mbuna420

Oct 9, 2010
Oregon
Re: Motorized mb for rugged trail riding

I second ya oldtimer54 and everyone else that says large sprocket and china girl + your best success I would even consider like a 60 some tooth for what you are describing keep that top speed down and it will totally do what a person could ride easily good luck and peace out

Bluebeard

Feb 4, 2011
Truckee, CA

We've considered a mountain goat, but the wife wouldn't go for the extra animal at the house. And the main reason I want the vehicle is so I can ride my way out of the canyons in the high heat afternoons. Riding on a goat's back for 45 minutes would probably make my body hurt worse than hiking out. And I am not in bad shape- but after working all day mining (which is like a 10 hour full-on gym workout) then you have to climb out of a 1000 foot canyon, it just becomes a little too much. When I drive in my driveway after enjoying my "hobby", I literally pour out of my truck and spend the next 24 hours recouperating with mega-physical exhaustion.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS

mining gold? it's tough work for sure esp when it isnt paying out. the pipe i make the frame was free i have about 300 max into it

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike

No goat? Ok then I would stick with a 66cc motor and a big sprocket in a rugged mountain bike and you should be ok if your careful.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Flybytaco I never saw any footage of your bike that thing is bad !!! Sweet(^)

reclaimer

Oct 8, 2009
pa

I run a GT-lts with a 49cc and a shift kit. I've never been unable to climb a hill, usually have to upshift. becuse I'm to slow at the start thinking I need low gearing. I often ride a path that runs along a set of train tracks. I slow down for the sections that are all big stone but have never had a problem with it. I've got $700 but you could do aswell for a good bit less.

Edit: awesome vid flyby. bike looks real nice

Attachments

Last edited:

mbuna420

Oct 9, 2010
Oregon

I used zoombicycls and it worked out great from the good customer service to the way better quality than the eBay kit I bought the first time. I also think you are going to want a way bigger sprocket I am thinking something like 66 tooth or something because that is still a pretty high top speed with the 56 tooth and that bike kicks ass dude riding a power wheelie just freaking awesome

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH

i think shift kits mite help a good bit, and tacos bike is beast.

as far as the where can you get a china girl kit, that's just the generic name for these types of motors, almost all of the links on the forums advertisements should be able to help you.

edit: another thing i just thought of, front wheeled electric hubs. you sound like you have a pretty set range you want to travel on these things, so usable range isn't a big deal, and front wheel drive tends to be quite a bit better then rear wheel drive when it comes to hills and such, just another option to consider.

Last edited:

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado

I've got a couple of happy time shift kit bikes that I ride in the Colorado back country for hours on end during my summer camping trips. So far, almost 8 hours in a single day of riding old stage coach roads up mountain passes is my record with NO problems. I do follow a very extensive build process that is designed to improve reliability and I always use a castor based 2 stroke oil in my builds to protect the engine against overheating during those multi-hour treks up steep mountain grades often at full throttle.

topdog13

Feb 13, 2011
PA

my bike i ride it on trails alot but watch the vibrations i had to buy a rebuild kit a screw came loose and blocked the piston motor bike.jpg

zbikenut

Feb 14, 2011
Montana

How rocky is the trail to your claim going to be? The really rough trails make it way simpler to go with a trail 90. If you are going to haul much out of your claim it will be a lot easier if the trail you start making will have the option of being widened later. Long sweeping corners.
z