Motorcycle wheel research for motorized bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I am looking to build some wheels using bicycle hubs and motorcycle wheels, spokes and tires for My MB, mainly to run motorcycle rated tires as speeds get faster and faster I think this thread could help all.

basically this is the info needed:

What motorcycle wheel/ tire combo will give the same height/circumference as a 26 in bicycle wheel ( this is very important to me as Im running a final belt drive if you are using a sprocket you could always go more/less teeth as needed)

Spacing: needs to be able to fit between the stays ( so the narrower the better) the same goes with the front end. Although there is someone making mb forks with 5 inch spacing but I would prefer to find somthing that would fit between the felts.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Re: Motorcycle wheel research for MB,s

I am running 21" motorcycle rims on drum hubs. Tires are Pirelli H rated 80/90-21. Tires are around 3 1/4" wide as I recall. Avon Speedmaster tires are available in a 3.00 x 21 with an S speed rating. These tires will not fit Felt forks. Expect to spend at least $1000 on wheels. Worth it? Barely.......

Bonneville Flyer by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA

I am running 21" motorcycle rims on drum hubs. Tires are Pirelli H rated 80/90-21. Tires are around 3 1/4" wide as I recall. Avon Speedmaster tires are available in a 3.00 x 21 with an S speed rating. These tires will not fit Felt forks. Expect to spend at least $1000 on wheels. Worth it? Barely.......

Bonneville Flyer by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Pat, I like the name Sportsman Wide Glide for the forks Ive been drooling over..seriously cool stuff !!!! I have to deal with phantom potholes on the back roads I like to ride some were originally laid out in the late 1600s early 1700 so they are pretty rough.. If I had the extra coin and the Mrs wasnt watching, Id get a set. Hey Pat, I still have that set of Huskys I got off you. I know there are issues with the Simplex and the worksman rims what do you think the compatibility of the Huskys and Simplex tires?

EDIT: Holy crap, that new seat on the Bonneville. Taking it to a new level...keep it up.

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california

All the off the shelf 21" motorcycle rims have huge nipple holes. That is why I had to buy undrilled rims and have them custom drilled to the smallest available motorcycle nipple. Doing that allowed the use of my hubs without having to enlarge the hub spoke holes. I personally found it next to impossible to mount the Simplex tires to 26" rims. All you can do is try.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee

if theres a will theres a way..... using a cycle nipple as a bushing for 12gauge spokes is one option. Finding washers and Epoxying them in place is another