motor does not want to move

GoldenMotor.com

Danish

Apr 3, 2010
Akron, OH
When I try to start my bike nothing happens it doesnt even want to try to kick in.
it sounds like the motor is froze up , is this possible and what could i do.
It worked great for the first 20 mile or so

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Remove the clutch actuator cover and check your chain. It might be jammed on the engine drive sprocket. This is a common occurance with new bikes with the chain tension too loose. The symptoms would be, when you pedal and release (engage) the clutch the rear wheel will seem to be locked and stop the bike. If this is what is happening follow the advice given. Let us know what you find.
Tom

Danish

Apr 3, 2010
Akron, OH
Tom,

I tried that and it still is not working the chain is tight, it does move when you let go of the clutch but nothing happen. It seem real tight like the starter is stuck

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Danish,

It sounds like the clutch is slipping. You let go of the lever and the bike just drags to a stop, but the engine doesn't turn over...Right?

Just to make sure:

Remove the sparkplug. Lean the bike over on the kickstand so that the rear wheel is clear of the ground. With the clutch lever released, (clutch engaged like when trying to start the engine)...spin the pedals, by hand or foot.

Do the pedals spin freely?

Can you hear a puff of air coming from the sparkplug hole?

If yes, your clutch is slipping...(with the plug installed the compression of the engine is enough to cause the clutch to slip).

If no, the engine may be locked up.

Jim

Danish

Apr 3, 2010
Akron, OH
I tried what you said and everything did as you said I heard the puff when i removed the plug and turned the pedal. The pedals do not turn freely

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Danish,

Have a look at animation #2 on this page:

http://motorbicycling.com/f30/animated-view-motorized-bicycle-clutch-assembly-8939.html

The clutch cover appears a bit thicker in the animation...and it is shown attached with allen bolts. Disregard this! Your engine cover will be fastened with phillips or flat heads, or the combo flat head/phillips type.

Then click on the little graphic at the bottom...click on it again for a larger image. Save it to a local folder...i.e. my pictures. print it out for reference.

Let me know when you're done.

Jim

Danish

Apr 3, 2010
Akron, OH
I got the motor to run but I think the clutch is slipping now. I will look at your video .
Thanks for all of you help

Danish

Apr 3, 2010
Akron, OH
Jim, sorry I was out of town at a meeting all week I got it to run did not ride it as you suggested I did not experiment as you suggested. I looked at you exploded view but was not sure what you wanted me to do? Now the engine will not start again. I took the plug out and cover off the inside was dirty should I attempt to clean or leave alone.
Thanks Dennis