Mixing fuel/oil

GoldenMotor.com

dmpatanis

Aug 23, 2010
Greece
Hello,what mixing to do in fuel/oil at break in period and what after.
I think that 24:1 for 4 tank for break in its ok.Then 32:1 for riding.
In 24:1 i mixing 1000gr of fuel with 41,66gr of oil????
Thanks a lot.

Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
Hi everyone!! I have ran my motorbike for a quick ride, Man is that fun!!! I used a mix ratio of 32:1 mix of Pennzoil marine 2 cycle & 87 octane unleaded, Is this ok for the break-in on my 2 cycle motor?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Do not use a marine outboard oil for lubricating an air cooled engine.
Marine engines are water cooled and have different requirements than an air cooled engine. They run cooler due to the fact that the incoming water for cooling is at the temperature of the lake or ocean that you are floating in. Even water cooled dirt bike engines run hotter.
If you insist on using it, it will not kill the engine, just lead to a shorter lifespan.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I highly doubt it. Most auto parts stores don't carry motorcycle parts and accessories.
If anything, they might carry some cheap off brand pre-mix. I recommend staying away from those. An independent motorcycle shop would be your best bet, although some dealerships will carry it.

Edit: you can get it online too.
Maxima Super M

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
I highly doubt it. Most auto parts stores don't carry motorcycle parts and accessories.
If anything, they might carry some cheap off brand pre-mix. I recommend staying away from those. An independent motorcycle shop would be your best bet, although some dealerships will carry it.

Edit: you can get it online too.
Maxima Super M
Well, I settled for some Lucas ( high performance ) semi-synthetic 2-cycle oil, never had any problems with there products,, and there made in your home town state of California,, Corona as a matter of fact, I flushed out the other stuff, & added the new oil @ 32:1 ratio,,,, seems to run great!!! This will be my second ride,, & only rode 4 or 5 miles,,, the sun settles in the mid-west pretty fast. Soon to tune the carb after break-in period, & possibly add a billet intake. Thanks agian for the help,,, Over & out for now.... Dirtyoldcrusier xct2

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
24:1 for break in & 32:1 after that is good. (There should be a chart on the back of the oil bottle for the mixing ratios.) ;)
Some time back, I bought some really good 2-stroke oil (wish to G@d I could remember where) that came in a largish bottle comprised of two reserviors. The bottom held all the oil with a stamped-in tube leading up to the top one. When you squeeze the bottom one it fills the top one through the tube until (I love this part) you fill it to the RATIO you want. The top reservior is marked off at levels of "20 to 1" then "32 to 1" then "40 to 1", etc. I just re-use the little jug by putting more oil in it now and then. I love the little thing.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It's not "really good" oil, but wallyworld sells a brand with that exact same bottle - I reused it over & over (the bottle, not the oil lol) until I eventually gave it to a buddy who kept "guessing" his ratio o_O

Got myself a MixMizer graduated oil syringe... while it works jus' fine I kinda liked the bottle better dangit, I shoulda given him the MixMizer :p

Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
Lucas is good, definitely better that outboard boat engine oil or department store weed whacker oil.
The search at the motorcycle shops was exhasting , I like the Lucas products,,, but should i be using 24:1 ratio for the break in period ? The mixing ratio shows only 1 more oz of oil to the gallon, but i'm using 4oz to a gallon which is 32:1,,,, will this mess up my engine? Should i add another oz to the existing fuel & finish the gallon with that? over & out,,, Dirty xct2

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
It's not "really good" oil, but wallyworld sells a brand with that exact same bottle - I reused it over & over (the bottle, not the oil lol) until I eventually gave it to a buddy who kept "guessing" his ratio o_O

Got myself a MixMizer graduated oil syringe... while it works jus' fine I kinda liked the bottle better dangit, I shoulda given him the MixMizer :p
I like the bottle better too: just squeeze & pour. Can't get much simpler. I was reading about this Lucas Oil back there. (By the way, it feels weird to have a sports complex here in town called "Lucas Oil Stadium". We call it "the Oil FIeld".) I think once I've built the Higgins into a real beauty, I may give Lucas Oil a try and see what I think of it.

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I always recommend breaking an engine in on 24:1 and after break in use 32:1.

Some folks prefer 20:1 for break in too, and that is good as well. 32:1 just isn't enough oil to properly lube the tight fitting parts, assist in cooling, and assist in washing the metal away as the surfaces marry to each other.

dmpatanis

Aug 23, 2010
Greece
I bought from motorcycle shop a measure bottle to measure the oil in the fuel.
The measure bottle write for 2% of oil.
Its for 1-2-3-4-5 liter.
I want to help me how many gramms its 2% for 1liter????
The 2% its 20gr??????
If i want to run my motor 24:1 i must put 41gr of oil for 1000gr??
Thanks.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Not all 2 cycle oils are the same. Some recommend less oil ratio and some more oil ratio. Synthetic oils are different than non synthetic. Follow the recommendations of the oil manufacturer you are using. Some people hear about 100-1 ratios with Opti-2 or Amsoil synthetic and want to try 100-1 with a 32-1 oil. The results will not be good.
SB