Mini-home

GoldenMotor.com

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
How To Build A House

All these fine cabin pictures have brought back to mind a wonderful little book I read years ago entitled:

"ILLUSTRATED HOUSEBUILDING"
by Graham Blackburn
copyright 1974
and published by
The Overlook Press,
Lewis Hollow Road
Woodstock, NY 12498

sbn # 0-87951-020-x
Libray of Congress Catalog 73-87998

For those interested in building a cabin or house this book covers the basics (and beyond) in truly easy to understand directions and simple line drawings. It's probably out of print and hard to find but if you can get a copy I think you'll be pleased.

Even if you don't build a house you'll know how and that makes for a very good feeling.

http://www.thewaysidechapel.org/build1.jpg

http://www.thewaysidechapel.org/build2.jpg

http://www.thewaysidechapel.org/build3.jpg

http://www.thewaysidechapel.org/build4.jpg

.trk.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
HI ALL, I SENT PM TO 2 DOOR, HE WAS TELLING ME ABOUT HIS MOTHER INLAW, THE PICTURE HE POSTED. SHE WORKED IN A BICYCLE SHOP, "REPAIRING BICYCLES" . IS THAT COOL OR NOT!!!.
2 DOOR, I HOPE POSTING IT IS OK. RON .duh.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
MIKE, A COUPLE YRS AGO I BOUGHT A NICE BOOK ON SEVERAL WAYS OF BUILD LOG CABINS, POST AND BEAM ETC. ITS VERY INTERESTING (INGENIOUS) HOW THEY DID SO MUCH, DOWELS AND PEGS. I HAVE CUT SO MANY TREES AND PAID TO DUMP THE WOOD!! FOR YRS I DREAMED OF BUYING A WOOD MIZER BAND SAW. THEY HAVE SOME NICE VIDEOS ETC. AMAZING PIECE OF EQUIPMENT, STATE OF THE ART. TWO YRS AGO I BOUGHT A CHAINSAW ATTACHMENT FOR MAKING LUMBER. THE CHAIN IS FILED MUCH DIFFERENT. TOOK IT TO TN LAST NEW YRS WEEK (13 MONTHS AGO) WITH MY 2 STEPSONS WE CUT A BUNCH OF PLANKS ( I WAS THE SUPERVISOR HAHA) I CANT REMEMBER THE WEB ADDRESS, THEY HAVE GREAT VIDEOS, VERY INTERESTING, TO ME ANYWAY.I WILL HAVE TO POST THIS, THEN COME BK AND EDIT THE LINKS INTO THIS POST.LATER RON.shft.
"GRANBERG INTERNATIONAL" TYPE INTO YOUR SEARCH ENGINE. THEY HAVE THE CHAINSAW ATTACHMENT MILLS, DIFFERENT MODELS. YOU CAN CARRY IT INTO THE WOODS, SAW LOGS LAYING ON THE GROUND AND CARRY THE LUMBER OUT. THE ONE I HAVE IS A GB MILL, MUCH BETTER, BUT HARD TO FIND. GRANDBERG IS GOOD, DOES A GREAT JOB. THE LUMBER COMES OUT SMOOOOTH!! PRO CUT, THIS GUY SELLS BLUE BRINT AND KITS. I STUDIED THE MANY KITS, OPTIONS ETC. THIS IS THE WAY TO GO "PRO CUT PORTABLE SAW MILL" ==THE BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK!! UNLESS YOU CUT EVERY DAY COMMERCIAL THEN THE "WOOD MIZER SAW MILL" IS YOUR TICKET. ITS A BAND SAW MILL. SEVERAL MODELS, UP TO $40,000 PLUS. I WOULD LIKE TO
BUILD A PRO CUT MILL. I HAVE 3120 HUSKY, THEIR BIGGEST CHAINSAW. SELLS FOR OVER 1400 BUCKS. I BOUGHT A NICE CLEAN 3120 FOR 50 BUCKS , BOUGHT A PISTON CYLINDER KIT ON EBAY FOR 150 BUCKS. WHEN THE BIG SAWS START TO RUN OUT OF GAS YOU HAVE SHUT THEM OFF OR THEY LEAN OUT AND MELT THE PISTON. WITH A GRANBERG MILL YOU CAN BUILD YOUR CABIN AND A TOM SAWYER HOUSE BOAT laff.. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!!laff THERE IS A CHANSAWLUMBER MILL FORUM!!laff. HOPE SOME OF YOU ENJOY THE MILL WEBSITES. LATER RON

Last edited:

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
Mike, A Yr Ago Or So I Was On A Chainsaw Lumber Mill Forum. Like This Forum But Saw Mill Guys. A Lot Of Members In Mi. Ron
You know why? Because everyone up here is a weekend lumberjack!

I know of a bunch of different people who have those portable saw mills. Some are the band saw type, some have the big bar and chain, like a chainsaw, and some use the huge saw wheels, but it seems those band saw ones are found a lot more often. Actually they are quite cool. You can put them anywhere, even in the woods if you want, roll your log on it and just cut them up. If you burn wood heat, you will have plenty of slab wood as well, however I think that stuff is way better for sauna wood!
Also the slab wood makes for a nice outer shell for a cabin too, but yeah a portable saw mill can come in real handy.

I've often thought about getting one but for me, I'd have to get a tractor or a small skidder first, so that I could skid those huge logs in. All the people I know of, that have them have the equipment necessary for getting the logs where they need to be. You figure, the bigger the log, the more lumber and the less waste.

Now of course if a person has the money to spend, they do make a log loader that you can pull behind a 4 wheeler. Of course it's a smaller version of what regular loggers use, but for the weekend lumberjack with a sawmill, it could prove quite handy. Then, you could cut down your tree, de-limb it, skid it to the loader with the 4 wheeler, cut it up into 8-10's, load it, and take it to your sawmill. That's something I would have if I could afford it...............I'm getting too old to wrestle with 8' chunks of wood! I don't even care if it's basswood, I ain't fiddlin' with it!

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
HEY HIKER. ALL THE TYPES OF MILLS ARE NEAT. LABOR INTENSIVE FOR SURE, BUT REWARDING, IF YOU CAN USE THE LUMBER. YOU NEED TO BE YOUNGER THAN ME, THATS FOR SURE! GLAD SOME OF YOU FOUND THEM INTERESTING. FOR LOW BUDGET PEOPLE LIKE ME I LIKE THE "PRO CUT" SETUP.. I NEED TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE THE LINKS SO YOU JUST CLICK ON THEM. ARE YOU ENJOYING THE 10 - 20 BELOW WEATHER?? LATER RON dance1

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
Hey Ron, to make links work, just go to the website/page in question, and then mouse click on the address for it up in the URL, click copy and then save it to maybe notepad. This way when you write your post, you can just copy and paste that web address into your text. At least this is what I do.

Cold weather? I honestly haven't noticed it because I haven't been outside for a long time...........I can't remember the last time I was outside! This house has heated floors and remains quite toasty and if it wasn't for the snow on the other side of the windows, I wouldn't know it was actually winter!

EDIT: Ron, have you ever used that winch type thing that they sell for chainsaws? I've seem them in a Bailey's catalog and think they look like something I could own.
Bailey's - Lewis Winch Model 400

.rd.

Last edited:

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Hey Hiker,
I like your "stay inside till winter's over" idea ... but it won't work for me. The dogs refuse to go out unless I lead the way! Brrrrrrrr........
.sno.

Ron,
Thanks for the sawmill links & tips.
.trk.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
HIKER, SOUNDS LIKE ME, WE NEED TO GET OUT MORE!! THE CHAINSAW WENCHES LOOK GOOD, BUT THE COST IS HIGH. WE REALLY DON`T NEED IT, WE ARE LOWERING JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING. WE USE SS PULLYS AND FRICTION DEVICE FOR LOWERING WOOD. THE LOG TRUCK HAS A HYDRALIC FOLD UP BOOM WITH A HYDRALIC WENCH. WE USE A 3/8 DIA ROPE RATED AT 4500 LBS AND A LOG TONGS ON THE END OF ROPE. WORKS VERY GOOD. CAN REACH OVER FENCES OR PULL LOGS TO US WITH 75 FT OF ROPE. WE USE A HAND RACHET WENCH (COME-ALONG) BUT NOT OFTEN. A GOOD 2 SPEED MANUAL BOAT WENCH WILL DO ALOT, USE 2 PART LINE WHEN NECESSARY. LATER RON.wee..bld.

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Hi Mike, I Think This Fits In. My Brother Has A Hunting-fishing Camp In Nothern Wis. He Stays There 2-4 Times A Month, 2-5 Days At A Time. He Has Feeding Stations, Game Camera`s. He Makes Jerky, Cans Fish Etc, Etc. My Mother Is 88 And Her And My Stepfather Fish On My Brothers Pontoon A Lot. He Is Building The Pontoon Into A Houseboat. He Bags Deer With Gun And Bow. Last Week He Was Ahead Of Schedule, The Lake Was Still Froze Over And He Has Only A Couple Days Work Left On The Houseboat. It Is A 26 Footer, He Has Towed It From Lake To Lake For Years. I Have To Resize Pics, Then Will Edit Them In. Ron.

Attachments

Last edited:

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Ron,
That's some boat! I've been working on plans for turning a pontoon into a houseboat myself. I'm thinking of one between 24 to 30 feet long with a 7' x 15' enclosed cabin. Really enjoyed your pic's ... thanks for the inspiration.
Mike
PS What's the story behind the deer pic?

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
i just took a journey thru this thread, from post one. when 2 door posted the pic of his mother inlaw when she was 16, that was 68 yrs ago. i posted that she had lost her grip. if you look at her pic you will see the missing rubber grip. i hope it wasn`t misunderstood. it was cool reading the posts again. ron. dan you are a trip!!lol