Mini-Chopper to Push Trailer

GoldenMotor.com

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Today i got brave and rode it to wrightwood! Thats about 20 miles and 2100 feet up the mountain. Thought i would melt it a few times but it did great. I only had to use leg power to bump it up to speed about 6 times and never broke a sweat. Starting to think about an expansion chamber exhaust to get it running like i know it can.

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
Id still look to insert a jack-shaft tranny in between the motor and rear axle.

THe nexus shimano will take that motor and get it up to 40mph and also have mega climbing power in 1st/2nd. That motor is the easiest!

THere is a 410 sprocket that fits your output and then swap a 18-24 tooth bmx freewheel sprocket on the rear.

My motor is the exact same model, is old and tired, has no expansion chamber or performance carb. It goes 42mph with the nexus jackshaft! Get the torker tricycle model with the hub mounted sprocket

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Thanx Boljoman! That sounds like a sweet setup. Do you have any pictures of it? Now im thinking that drive plus the exhaust! ...and carb.... And porting.... And.... And....

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Now all you gotta do is figure out some freewheeling unicycle pedals and make it legal :~)

I think that is a very awesome build! I realy like" out of the box" thinking.

Last edited:

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Now that is a way cool collection of parts! I just love the type of build where you have one of these and a few of those with the one lose nut that finds a way to put it all together!

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Today the little pusher gave me a smile that you couldnt beat off my face with a 2x4! Made a second trip to wrightwood and passed about 20 or 30 pedal pushers
loaded down with all sorts of water and camping gear. you should have seen their faces! I asked a few if they wanted to race to the top. No takers. Lol

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Well since I have all my wood tools at the job already I have taken to riding the pusher to wrightwood every day. Every time I take it and play with tuning or handling it just gets better. Not to mention way better mpg than a 3/4 ton truck! I read about an exhaust mod that gets gains throughout the rpm range by fixing what amounts to a factory screw up.
What you do is cut off the factory expansion chamber plus 1 in of header pipe and remove the stub from the expansion chamber. note that this stub extends a full inch into the chamber. That alone will kill perforance! then ad an inch to the lenth of the chamber. and last but not least adjust carb.... again.
I will try it tomorrow if I have time. stay tuned!

Last edited:

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Today I welded up an expansion chamber since the factory P.O.S. broke off.... again. Yes its ugly. And yes its not tuned. But it did give a noticeable boost in performance! I will play with the lenth a bit and tune the carb accordingly but it does have promise! Fun stuff! Sounds good too!

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Soon as we get the computer back on line at our new address. I can only post text with this cheap a$$ cell phone.

Just close your eyes and think "Ugly expansion chamber that started out as a steal fence post." lol

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Soon as we get the computer back on line at our new address. I can only post text with this cheap a$$ cell phone.

Just close your eyes and think "Ugly expansion chamber that started out as a steal fence post." lol

LOL, that's art to me SJN!

Dan "ubolts & hoseclamp" Keav

Ya know, there really some thing beautiful about re-purposing and achieving a solution with parts on hand. There is a Japanese concept that any thing done perfectly, is art. I guess that depends on a personal definition of perfection.

Rambling here so please forgive me but the Japanese also have a concept called "Shin Dow Goo" My spelling is so far off I can't find a link for it. But literally means "Demented Machine" But refers to a devise meant to make our lives easier but comes with it's own host of problems.

Remind ya of any thing? A hobby maybe. snork

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Hey now. Thats hittin a little close to home! In fact, it nails it for the little pusher, my 1945 H-D , half my tools. lol you get the idea. at least i know i am not alone.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Har SJN, lol. This dang thread got me looking at GY6 engines again. (my fantasy pusher engine)

Would have elec start, aux kick start and it's own brake! Optional, ofc, snicker

I'm running out of $ and that one is #3 down the list!

But in our collective defense, ya never saw "Sorry I had so much cool stuff" on a grave stone

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Yeah, I have been looking at other engines and drive trains. I've been thinking of this one as a prototype of sorts to be used as a tool to learn what works and what breaks.

With the roads in this area you always find stuff that breaks! Rocks, wash board, deep sand and ruts. All that and I only live 3/8 mi from the pavement.
I think I am getting a good feel for what would be a kick butt good handling pusher that would have good manners at high speed and burn rubber for a good 30 ft.
The next one will be a bit more than 9 bucks but will be the toy that will be talked about and nobody will believe the story teller.... Until I fly past them! Need a good laugh? You should see peoples faces when I pull a doughnut with the 50. Cant wait to turn it up a few levels!

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Went by the library where my daughter works and she just told of that the pusher was all everyone was talking about when I left. Lol
hey Dan, i was looking at a good motor for a pusher. twin cyl 250 cc 4cycle from a scooter with c v t drive rear wheel and suspension in one sweet low slung package! some people think I am nuts. others know.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Went by the library where my daughter works and she just told of that the pusher was all everyone was talking about when I left. Lol
hey Dan, i was looking at a good motor for a pusher. twin cyl 250 cc 4cycle from a scooter with c v t drive rear wheel and suspension in one sweet low slung package! some people think I am nuts. others know.
LOL, cool SJN. Have ya heard "oh, your that guy?" yet?

When I got into our crazy, I sure wasn't expecting that sort of reaction from folks. Living in a kind of reserved part of the world, southern New England, it's really interesting how folks will get so social and friendly and chat about MBs.

" some people think I am nuts. others know." LOL, good one.

Do you have a link for that engine? I am thinking a ball hitch to attach and have the weight of the engine, batt and gas tank lower then the "arm" that attaches bike to engine. So would be self righting via center of gravity.

Have you seen this thread? http://motorbicycling.com/f16/i-love-getting-look-8831.html Is a really good one.

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Could'nt find a link but if you google fast scooter you will find tons of great possibilities. In the end we all know it will come down to what you can score for cheap. That said I think some of these vespa style scooters would make killer push trailers.... As long as its not a vespa.
check the yard sales and classified ads. the mechanicals on there things are perfect for cutting to bits and bolting to a bicycle. sick puppies are we not?