Mad Scientist Lab test - Boost Bottle

GoldenMotor.com

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
you dont need a boost bottle with reed valves.
on the exaust stroke the reed valve closes the intake so no semi burnt air/gas excapes.
without the reed vlave like most of us,during the exaust stroke some semi burnt gas/air goes backwards threw the intake back into the carb,and thats why people make a boost bottle for it to go into and out again.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The boost bottle packs a better punch of air in it when a reed valve gives it no other place to go! I am talking about the intake only here. A proper sonic tuned pipe goes on the other side...

Echotraveler

Aug 25, 2008
hello guys, anyone can tell me if i the boost bottles lean out your motor??

i have a very rich enviroment and am on a quest for air...i have to much gas now i want to mod so i get more air withou rejeting the motor, we were thinking i could make the intake thicker, or adding a big bottle to the intake...plus air filter ofcoarse.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
A boost bottle only leans out your wallet. You can buy a handful of jets for the same price, but you'll only need one.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Use the one you already got. Solder it shut and start back from the stock size. Stock size for 68 cc .70 mm. The boost bottle is a little like leprechaun mythical . It will not lean out the motor. It would be storing fuel and air. Unless every fitting you had on it leaked.

Nate D

Jun 25, 2009
auburn, wa
my understanding is the boost bottle helps on low end which if it does great. if not won't be the first nickel i waisted
Well I just installed mine and my results are same as Norman (lord vader moderator) It did seem to smooth the low to mid range out but I realy do not like how the idle fluctuates and wants to die, when you adjust so it does not want to die then it idles too fast. My take on this is it is a great idea that enthusiasts took and ran with but I agree with a comment someone said that maybe the design needs to be rethought and perhaps these could actually work like they were intended. I also tried different hose lengths and bottle position nothing works. I have the one from bikeberry.com it looks very cool but if I can not get the idle fluctuation to stop i will sell mine to someone who wants to gie it a try. Well for all you tinkerers out there give it a try lets see some new bottle shapes and designs and maybe together we can find a design that works.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
listening to this,I think a boost bottle past a reed valve may ease the pressure in the crankcase allowing the piston an easer down stroke beacause the BB would make the c-case volume bigger in effect,,,,a boost bottle before the reed valve should not hold pressure,instead ,it should be in a slight vaccume (no pressure boost),,,,a BB in a completly open system as HT motors might act as a slight buffer to returning air from the motor(again increasing c-case volume in effect) ,filling w/fuel-air mix when the throttle is closed and then it would imediatly be emptied beacause the throttle was still closed ,,,,doesen't seem effective unless the motor manufacture discovered a flaw and says its needed (prolly not a true need if he also makes boost bottles lol)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
In our case the manufacture knows there is flaws in their design and don't care . The china motor is a Kit in it self.

match your ports get a tuned pipe. Don't waste your money on a boost bottle. While true the boost bottle properly set can give different characteristic's. Spend your time on port matching and a tuned pipe.

This subject has been beat to death.lol

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...st-lab-test-boost-bottle-86-5.html#post219588

Last edited:

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
One more thing with nos fat is not good(most people run fat then get mad when it pops)when running fat on nos xtra fuel gets in ring land & will damage top of the piston when fuel ing.
I am suspecting that most people will not take "adding Power" as seriously )or at least as "professionally" as you. I can tell from just your few posts that you seem to understand how an internal combustion actually occurs.

I am betting that you can take one of these little pieces of china goodness and make more power and better reliability out of it over time.

Here is the problem: I have been watching this forum for awhile now.
While there are some serious builders on this forum (some are quite impressive), there seems to be no shortage of the "it's cheap, who cares if it blows up" and "this will work, sorta, kinda if I just bend it here" and ooops types.

No offense to the person who posted the "I wish I found this forum before I ordered..", because you are at least trying to learn and understand your machine.

However, most cases of I ordered my $100 engine and picked up a bike at wally world that choose "how fast can I get this baby" as the first choice of mods before they even rode that piece of crap without a motor on it is usually a symptom.

Don't get me wrong. I am not hating on Wally World bike shoppers. I actually own a wally world mountain bike frame (but the frame is all that will remain on that bike long term). I have learned from owning junk bikes that they need a lot of components replaced, like most of them and all of them if you have the funds.

The Wally bike is not even designed well to be a peddle pusher and putting a motor on those things stock is how shall I say it "ballsy but not bright".

Man, if you hit a hill and just try to peddle up it, a peddle will surely snap off (if your lucky) or the crank bottom will just blow apart if you have any average adult size weight on your bones.

Looking at how these kits are put together stock, there is no freakin way I would want to go faster than the stock configuration. I would be thrilled if it ran down the rode without breaking into pieces.

Those wally world bike wheels don't need that kind of stress on those skinny little spokes on one side of an already questionable wheel. Personally I would rectify that situation BEFORE I even rode it. All these things can be fixed and should be before worrying about "performance and speed gains" on a $65 dollar bike, especially if you are counting on the bike getting you home should that little engine have a hick up. Walking a bicycle home already sucks and makes you want to throw it in a ditch. Unfortunately, it does not take much just regular use of one of these bikes as a commuter to realize you need a better bike and strapping an engine to it is certainly not going to help the longevity of it.

No worries though gang, you got that cool single coaster brake on the back wheel.

An idea...

find a big hill.....
ride down it sans motor....

how fun is that to stop without locking it up??
Man, it just makes me sometimes laugh but also wonder to myself if people just don't care about living through some bad choices.

Back on topic. I read about this boost bottle and the reviews are so mixed. I would not expect a power gain in any way, but if it smooths out some vibration it still might be worth it.

Is anyone noticing less "buzz" in their handlebars during normal riding or even when riding like they stole it and/or does it move the "shake" to a different spot in the power band?

The kind of answer that would satisfy my own curiosity about it would be something like "I used to get a slight buzz in my handlebars at around 10mph but now the buzz is not happening until I get to 20". That would at least indicate a difference in the harmonics of the motor.

Last edited:

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
I am suspecting that most people will not take "adding Power" as seriously )or at least as "professionally" as you. I can tell from just your few posts that you seem to understand how an internal combustion actually occurs.

I am betting that you can take one of these little pieces of china goodness and make more power and better reliability out of it over time.

Here is the problem: I have been watching this forum for awhile now.
While there are some serious builders on this forum (some are quite impressive), there seems to be no shortage of the "it's cheap, who cares if it blows up" and "this will work, sorta, kinda if I just bend it here" and ooops types.

No offense to the person who posted the "I wish I found this forum before I ordered..", because you are at least trying to learn and understand your machine.

However, most cases of I ordered my $100 engine and picked up a bike at wally world that choose "how fast can I get this baby" as the first choice of mods before they even rode that piece of crap without a motor on it is usually a symptom.

Don't get me wrong. I am not hating on Wally World bike shoppers. I actually own a wally world mountain bike frame (but the frame is all that will remain on that bike long term). I have learned from owning junk bikes that they need a lot of components replaced, like most of them and all of them if you have the funds.

The Wally bike is not even designed well to be a peddle pusher and putting a motor on those things stock is how shall I say it "ballsy but not bright".

Man, if you hit a hill and just try to peddle up it, a peddle will surely snap off (if your lucky) or the crank bottom will just blow apart if you have any average adult size weight on your bones.

Looking at how these kits are put together stock, there is no freakin way I would want to go faster than the stock configuration. I would be thrilled if it ran down the rode without breaking into pieces.

Those wally world bike wheels don't need that kind of stress on those skinny little spokes on one side of an already questionable wheel. Personally I would rectify that situation BEFORE I even rode it. All these things can be fixed and should be before worrying about "performance and speed gains" on a $65 dollar bike, especially if you are counting on the bike getting you home should that little engine have a hick up. Walking a bicycle home already sucks and makes you want to throw it in a ditch. Unfortunately, it does not take much just regular use of one of these bikes as a commuter to realize you need a better bike and strapping an engine to it is certainly not going to help the longevity of it.

No worries though gang, you got that cool single coaster brake on the back wheel.

An idea...

find a big hill.....
ride down it sans motor....

how fun is that to stop without locking it up??
Man, it just makes me sometimes laugh but also wonder to myself if people just don't care about living through some bad choices.

Back on topic. I read about this boost bottle and the reviews are so mixed. I would not expect a power gain in any way, but if it smooths out some vibration it still might be worth it.

Is anyone noticing less "buzz" in their handlebars during normal riding or even when riding like they stole it and/or does it move the "shake" to a different spot in the power band?

The kind of answer that would satisfy my own curiosity about it would be something like "I used to get a slight buzz in my handlebars at around 10mph but now the buzz is not happening until I get to 20". That would at least indicate a difference in the harmonics of the motor.
Ok that was a long read! Do you feel better now? lollaff

rjcullis

Dec 28, 2010
british columbia
Hello Andyinchville, did you ever make that intake manifold? I was thinking of doing the same thing as you suggest for a truly calibrated boost bottle. I think an improved intake manifold would be a great addition to my machine...Richard