loss of power, engine runs rough

GoldenMotor.com

virtuoso

Dec 21, 2014
dayton,oh
Hey guys do u think its just the head gasket for my loss of poer and realm rough running... I did pull the head and there was oil and gas on the gasket... But it looks to be in tack, not blown do I need a new one or what can I do... Any advice... It does stay idle and still runs.... Just loss of power and runs rough as ****...help...

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
If the inside of the cylinder looks ok with no deep scratches its most likely the head gasket that went... if you see a dark area on part of the gasket this is where it was leaking out... a new head gasket and lapping the head on a piece of sandpaper over a flat surface like a sheet of glass until it sands the whole sealing surface evenly and any dark areas are gone then its ready to reinstall the head with a new gasket, torque 120 to 140 inch pounds in an X pattern and it should be ok...

If you see scratches in your cylinder post pics so we can see if it needs a new jug, piston, and rings... this can happen from overheating or inadequate air filtration and riding in a dusty environment.

virtuoso

Dec 21, 2014
dayton,oh
Ok imma give it a shot... It runs rough till I get going then at WOT I lose power... It still goes just not like it was and I'm about 500 miles on it

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yup... sounds to me like you lost compression... hopefully from the head working loose... this does happen sometimes if the head bolts aren't re torqued after it's been run several times...

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Yup... sounds to me like you lost compression... hopefully from the head working loose... this does happen sometimes if the head bolts aren't re torqued after it's been run several times...
Sounds like it to me too Dave, Sometimes you can just re-torque the head. Sometimes ya need a new head gasket. First, just try snugging the head nuts.
fatdaddy.usflg