Looking for someone with experience with building an electric Schwinn Meridian!

GoldenMotor.com

turbobuick1

Nov 6, 2012
Thumb of Michigan
I'm planning on building an electric Schwinn Meridian for an older gentleman. I'm dead set on the electric part : )

Just looking for advice on what components (motor/controller/etc) to use, and I'm hoping someone with experience on such a project will chime in. Thanks guys, appreciate any help/tips I can get!

Last edited:

turbobuick1

Nov 6, 2012
Thumb of Michigan
Looking for advice on building an electric Schwinn Meridian Trike!

Looking for someone with experience on the subject! I'm looking to accomplish this in the most cost-effective manner possible.

I would think an electric motor with direct drive to the rear axle would be cheaper than a electric motor hub in the front wheel.

Any thoughts on the best place to source the motor/controller, and other components?

Appreciate any help I can get, thanks guys!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Re: Looking for advice on building an electric Schwinn Meridian Trike!

This may help, I have done 3 electric trikes but they all had gears on back axle so all were shifters.

http://kcsbikes.com/Trikes.asp

Pricey when you factor in the battery but I was having mine made custom in Hong Kong and run you 25MPH for a couple of hours before you need to charge it, much MUCH father and longer if you pedal it some and don't run wide open all the time.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Turbobuick1,
If you look on page 2 of this thread you will see "7-speed shifter trike". KCVale is building just what you want and has detailed where he bought the parts and the battery. I have the same electric motor he bought that will be going on my Monark and sidecar this winter to replace the hub motor. I will be using the same battery as well but 48V where I believe he uses a 36V.

The set up is ideal for electric bikes with many people moving away from hub motors to a mid motor. I'm sure he will be here to tell you more about it.

Hope this helps.

Steve.

turbobuick1

Nov 6, 2012
Thumb of Michigan
Turbobuick1,
If you look on page 2 of this thread you will see "7-speed shifter trike". KCVale is building just what you want and has detailed where he bought the parts and the battery. I have the same electric motor he bought that will be going on my Monark and sidecar this winter to replace the hub motor. I will be using the same battery as well but 48V where I believe he uses a 36V.

The set up is ideal for electric bikes with many people moving away from hub motors to a mid motor. I'm sure he will be here to tell you more about it.

Hope this helps.

Steve.
That helps a lot, appreciate it Steve! I've just started doing research on the subject. I'm going back and forth in between the hub motor and a seperate unit.

Just for the initial cost, do you see any harm in choosing deep-cycle sealed lead acid batteries? I'm considering a 36V setup. I understand that Lithium Ion batteries are preferred for their lifespan and cycles, but I'm strongly leaning towards SLA batteries just to get the project moving, and at a minimum cost.

turbobuick1

Nov 6, 2012
Thumb of Michigan
Re: Looking for advice on building an electric Schwinn Meridian Trike!

Thanks KC for the quick response. For this build, I'm trying to keep the cost to minimum, the idea of this trike is to help an older gentleman with a bad hip enjoy riding his tricycle to his brother's house. For that reason, I'm leaning towards a hub motor with SLA (especially deep cycle) batteries. What is your opinion on this? I understand the merits of lithium ion batteries, but for the initial investment, I'm geared towards SLA.

Thanks, I've only just started doing research on the electric bike subject, so your input helps me out a lot.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
From my experience riding an ebike as an all-season commuter, from discussing it with all those who approach me regarding the ebike & everything I've seen & researched - the absolute number one cause for disappointment with any DIY electric vehicle is the decision to try and save money by purchasing SLA batteries.

With a gas bike folks try and purchase the best motor they can afford, putting the fuel in whatever will hold it - with an ebike it pretty much the exact opposite, I very strongly suggest purchasing the absolute best (type - weight & reserve capacity) battery pack you can manage as it's primarily responsible for your range & speed, then getting whatever motor, even a cheapo as it's comparatively inexpensive & easy to replace/upgrade.

With an ebike, it's the batteries that are the investment ;)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I beg to disagree about batteries and etrikes. First I define what I am going to use it for. I live in an urban area most all my trips are withing five miles round trip, I'm 68 so I guess I qualify as older.

Does he want the trike for a particular purpose. Ride it to work or just sport around to go out for coffee. If he has miles to go before he sleeps, yes Lithium is the way to go. However if like me he wants one to ride two miles to the coffee shop and back, or even three miles to the lake to go fishing and three back home then sla are perfectly acceptable. Not much can go wrong with an sla battery.

Also from my limited experience is how much power does he really want or need. Riding for exercise on reasonably even terrain, go with 36v 500 watt or less, if he is in really good shape, If he wants something to sit back and ride like a moped, then 48v 1000 is the way to go.

I personally have had fine luck with my 36v 800watt hub motor and sla batteries, I use one or two set of 12ah and go about ten mile round trip, which is more than my tired old fat butt want to be on a trike, I also carry a charger to use at the office of the park where I fish. I know this is counter advice, but it's mine.

My next plan is to build a 3wheel moped using a mountain bike full suspension using a 48v 1000 watt motor and sla batteries. I still don't have anywhere over ten to twelve miles I need to go,

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Using the yet even more expensive LiFePO4 instead of lithium though their preformance is roughly equivalent (LiFePO4 has more cycles & is safer than lithium) vs the typical scooter type SLA/AGM;

36V 10AH V2.5 LiFePO4 Battery Pack $318
3.70 kg / 8.2 lbs
150x105x150 mm / 5.9x4.1x5.9 inches
1000 to 2000 charge cycles
No memory effect

10 Ah 36 Volt AGM/SLA Scooter Battery Pack $74.99
Style: AGM 12v x3
Amp Hour: 10 AH
Length: 5.95" ea.
Width: 2.56" ea.
Height: 4.50" ea.
Weight: 22.5 lbs.
200 to 300 charge cycles

In summery, the LiFePO4 while roughly 4x the initial cost you get at least 5x the duty life for about 1/3rd the weight & size with absolutely no charge maintenance requirements (float charge/deep discharge/sulfuration).

*shrug* your call, to each their own I figure and every project has it's own particulars, I'm not about to dissuade or discourage any DIYer - I too started out by buying SLAs for my project, but when I got them and truly realized the consequence of trying to use the massive 36lb pack (48v setup) when I could get 3-4x the range for less than 1/2 the weight in the same space requirements... well, my plans changed & I've never regretted the investment;

No matter what, the most important bit is havin' fun riding it, whatever "it" may be lol ;)

turbobuick1

Nov 6, 2012
Thumb of Michigan
Well, I do appreciate everyone's input on this. To each their own, but it seems like lithium batteries are the way to go, in either a 36v or 48v configuration. Deacon, it seems like the SLA batteries are working well for you, but for this particular bike, and the range the owner wants to ride it, I think lithium will give him more freedom and breathing room for his trip.

Thanks again!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Using the yet even more expensive LiFePO4 instead of lithium though their preformance is roughly equivalent (LiFePO4 has more cycles & is safer than lithium) vs the typical scooter type SLA/AGM;
LiFePO's are Lithium too.

'The lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) battery, also called LFP battery (with "LFP" standing for "lithium ferrophosphate"), is a type of rechargeable battery, specifically a lithium-ion battery, which uses LiFePO
4 as a cathode material. LiFePO4 batteries have somewhat lower energy density than the more common LiCoO2 design found in consumer electronics, but offers longer lifetimes, better power density (the rate that energy can be drawn from them) and are inherently safer. LiFePO4 is finding a number of roles in vehicle use and backup power.'

For cheap however heck you can just use 3 12V deep cycle marine batteries in series if you don't need the basket space, even at $80 a pop so $240 that is still far less than sealed LA or Lithium and it will run you awhile, half an hour or more maybe with a smallish motor, they just need a long charge time.

Yes, Lead Acid is big, heavy and potentially messy but cheap, it just has 6 2V cells in series.

That LI power brick I had made is 2.5x more expensive but less than 1/2 the size of 3 marine batteries at about the size of a phone book and has 120 3.6V cells arranged as 10 series banks of 12 parallel cells for ~35A constant power and *poof* nothing, LA's start strong and then just slowly loose power as they drain which anyone who has ever had a car has seen.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Since I build and wire my own circuits I have accidentally crossed my sla batteries and they pop some but no real damage. So what happens to the Lithium crystals when they short does the circuit inside the pack go up in smoke. If so I would have burned up about five thousand dollars by now.

I know I could use the plug and play systems but is that really building.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
So what happens to the Lithium crystals when they short does the circuit inside the pack go up in smoke. If so I would have burned up about five thousand dollars by now.
and this is the reason why I buy premade battery packs. I believe paying a little more now than a lot more later. :)

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
The weight of sla batteries make less difference on a trike.

They can be mounted low to help balance.

I like these a lot for trikes though.

http://www.batteryspace.com/LiFePO4-Prismatic-Box-Battery-12.8V-20Ah-256Wh-10C-rate-without-PCM.aspx

You can get them with balancers or with a solar charging controller too.

http://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo4...storage.aspx?gclid=CMPH-cHg5LgCFSdk7AodsGoASg

http://www.batteryspace.com/LiFePO4...V-20Ah-256Wh-10C-rate-with-LED-Balancing.aspx

I bought the ones without balancers and put balance leads on them and charge them with a Hyperion balance charger.

http://www.amazon.com/Hyperion-EOS-1420i-Net3-Charger/dp/B004E7MQ3Y

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
I think it would be cheaper to get a battery from Ping or BMS.
The shipping regs are getting tighter on built battery packs so shipping costs will keep going up.

On the other hand cells to build your own pack are sometimes free to ship.

http://www.fasttech.com/product/1233700-panasonic-ncr18650pd-18650-36v-2900mah-rechargeabl

http://www.buya123batteries.com/category_s/1515.htm

A ping or bms pack is way harder to repair than the cells I showed.

http://www.batteryspace.com/LiFePO4-Prismatic-Module-3.2V-20-Ah-10C-Rate-64-wh.aspx

Cells with little screws are easy to change out to repair the pack.

These have little screws too and it is easy to change cells and repair the pack.

http://headway-headquarters.com/diy-battery-kits/

A small lightweight tight pack is nice on an ebike but on an etrike you have plenty of room for easier to repair and maintain battery options.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
One thing I will agree with. The battery packs for sla are heavier to do the same thing as lith. It's like riding my grandson along every trip. But it is doable with a trike. When you don't balance a trikes weight it will go over backwards on you. that I know from experience.

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
One thing I will agree with. The battery packs for sla are heavier to do the same thing as lith. It's like riding my grandson along every trip. But it is doable with a trike. When you don't balance a trikes weight it will go over backwards on you. that I know from experience.
My trike is geared to top out at about 15 mph.

The lower top speed means the battery will do longer rides than the same battery on my ebike that tops out at about 20 mph.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
For a trike I would recommend a 24v front wheel hub motor, geared or direct drive and a lithium battery. Look around and you should be able to do it for around $500. or less